SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joeblfsk

Transforming an old banana bed !

My old friend Petrus Stuyvesant let me know he needs some ideas as to what he can plant in his prior, abandoned banana plantation. He is afraid that if he just ignores it, it will become a sloppy lookin' mess of weed killer ! He loves his nice home in Englewood, - what he calls his "Bouwerie."
What he relayed to me as to what's there now, the rough dimensions : A raised bed of old rr ties; approx 12 inches high ; 34 ft wide and 8 ft deep. Not that these dimensions are critically important, just meant to give y'all a rough idea.
This is what Petrus Stuyvesant's project site looks like now :

What Mr Stuyvesant wants to do is simply plant 5,..maybe 6, smallish evergreen tree's down the middle. parallel to the 6' high fence and the rr ties along the front The Tebow mango tree at the far right will not be there, so no shade will be in that area at all ! He just wants a scenic small tree display that his neighbors will like also,...instead of the bleak, wasted rectangular mound that is there now,..just generating weeds every so often.

These 5 or so trees are to be maintenance-free after they get used to their new home,..root ball sitting in well fertilized soil in the US paradise called South West Florida,...zone 10a ! No fruits to be picked, just an attractive to look at row of trees with a max height of 7 - 10 -12 ft,..width approx 4, 5 ft. Only minor prunning required after 6 mos in the ground ! So as these 5, 6 trees mature, with all the fertilizers that have been thrown in there over the last 10 yrs, those new trees should grow on the own, satisfied with just a smidgeon of pruning.

One other thing to note,..Petrus does NOT want another pear tree to be planted there, or anywhere ! " Been there,. done that ! " he says. :o)

Any and all suggestions will be looked into

Heel ergbedankt 'in verleden
& thanks from Jofus as well :o)

Comments (20)