SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kimmym12

Need advice on painting kitchen cabinets

Kim Marks
4 years ago

So in the process of redoing our kitchen and in an effort to save money I bought some new (used) cabinets that I decided to paint, because I watch too much HGTV and thought it would be fun and satisfying to do it myself (spoiler alert: it's neither).
I did all the prep work... Cleaning, sanding, 2 coats of primer, and the first coat of paint BEFORE they were installed. That was my first mistake, as they got a little banged up and dirty during installation. Second mistake was we had our friends install a concrete countertop and they must have been in a rush when staining it as they didn't bother to cover ANYTHING and now my cabinets have concrete stain all over them...
(They haven't been asked to help out anymore (: )
I applied a second coat of paint and thought it covered the stain but after it dried I see that it hasn't. So I'm wondering if maybe I should just kind of start over and sand down to the primer, re-prime and go from there? The only reason I'm thinking of doing that is because the paint I bought (Benjamin Moore Advance), I had quite a bit of trouble getting it to the color I wanted (I have no idea why, they had the color sample, mixed it accordingly, but it turned out to be more purpley than gray, and we had to have them add more yellow until it finally looked like the sample), so I don't want to use/waste too much paint and have to try to get more and go through the same ordeal and potentially have it not match.
I should also mention that it's been a couple months since I've applied the last coat, which is another reason I'm thinking sanding and starting over may be best (I'm thinking because of chemical bonding? I caught a lot of flack from people before when I was asking about redoing wood floors, apparently waiting too long between coats of polyurethane is a big no-no, didn't know if it's the same for painting).
Also, does anyone know of a good quality tintable primer that is good for painting cabinets? I haven't even started the doors yet and was hoping to get a darker primer to help hide any future knicks better. I live in a small area and although the local Farm and Fleet sells the BM Advance paint, they don't have the coordinating primer. I used (I think Zinsser?) Cover stain Primer for the cabinets, and although it says "tintable" on the can the lady at Menards said it wasn't tintable? I feel like she probably didn't know what she was doing but I couldn't really argue...
Thanks in advance for any help!!!!

Comments (2)