SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pghtwin

Kitchen Cabinet Painting - Color Advice

pghtwin
6 years ago

I'm in the process of trying to update our 1990's kitchen on a budget...and I'm starting to paint the cabinets this week!

To help set the scene:

- The current cabinets are an orangey-medium-brown oak that we are going to paint this week. All woodwork in the house is similar; baseboards, crown moldling, doors, wood paneling, etc. I would love to paint the wood but there is beautiful paneling halfway up the living room walls and a fully paneled dining room. Both of these rooms are directly adjacent and have the same color wood. I'm open to refinishing these into more neutral browns but would hate to start painting ALL of the wood white in the house and covering up the paneling. I'll be refinishing/painting the cabinets.

- The counter tops are some type of solid surface muted celadon color. We have to keep the counter tops due to budget. Since this is staying, it's going to play a major role in deciding cabinet color and everything else.

- The floors are pink! I'm open to painting these now, or keeping once painting the cabinets help them...but these will be replaced eventually with wood throughout when we replace the icky first floor carpeting in several years.

- The back splash is the same color pink as the floor tile and hunter green accent tiles. Getting rid of this and retiling.

- The sink is hunter green and will eventually go.

- Furniture pieces in the room are: black and silver IKEA stools, brown-black IKEA Bjursta table and IKEA Preben Chairs.

- Light above island will be replaced.

Here are the questions:

- MAIN QUESTION is paint color suggestions for the cabinets. I had originally liked espresso or black, but am now swinging towards white. I'm also open to the island being a different color. Main cabinets white and island black? I'm doing this this week so I need help!!!

- Floor. Paint or leave alone?

- Backsplash suggestions

- Wall color suggestions

Thanks so much for any feedback!

Comments (52)

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Lighting always makes a difference - the light is boss. Change the light, you change the color. Grab chips first, choose your favorite three and then buy samples and sample boards to test the color in the space so you can see how it responds to the inherent light and if you like it.

pghtwin thanked Lori A. Sawaya
  • groveraxle
    6 years ago

Lighting ALWAYS makes a difference in how paint looks. You can't tell for sure till you paint samples and bring them into the room. The same color will look totally different on horizontal and vertical surfaces under the same light which is why we advise people to paint sample poster boards so they can move them around and see them under all conditions.

I don't think painting those floors will be very successful. In a high traffic area, I doubt it will last long and when it gets scuffed, it will look pretty awful. However, keep in mind that huge expanse of pink is going to reflect on whatever cabinet color you choose.

pghtwin thanked groveraxle
  • Related Discussions

Painting kitchen cabinets - need advice

Q

Comments (4)
    Used correctly, FPE's Brushing-putty or Swedish-putty can give you a glass-like base. NOTE: FPE stresses that BP must be primed with Oil primer after it's dry/sanded/tacked-off. After the laborious prep., why wouldn't you want to put the "Ultimate Paint" on? * It's not that much more, and will add to your projects/homes value, not to mention the sheer beauty & enjoyment of it! * I'm absolutely in love with their Eurolux Matte I used in my downstairs bath! ONE coat...serious. I can firmly rub it, with NO trace of burnishing. * Their ECO-series paint would look awesome on your cabs! * BP link below, if you haven't already read it... Faron Here is a link that might be useful: FPE Brushing-Putty page...
    ...See More

Need advice in painting kitchen cabinet moulding!

Q

Comments (2)
    Why not get a small prefinished length to see how you feel about white and then paint it to see how you feel about color? That way your choice can be grounded in some degree of experience.
    ...See More

Need advice on painting kitchen cabinets

Q

Comments (2)
    You’re going to have to 100% start over. Concrete was a very bad idea. You’ll be ripping out that stained and cracked mess very soon. Might as well do that now. Even laminate performs better than concrete. Here is how I would expect a pro to spray paint kitchen cabinets. An amateur job should follow the same path. A brush painted job would differ slightly in that you wouldn't hang the doors to paint. You'd place them on a work table or easel instead. It's time intensive work, and should take 7-14 days for a Pro to accomplish completely and cost between 8--10K depending on kitchen size and amount of detail in cabinets. Remove doors and drawer fronts. Remove hinges and hardware. Clean with Spic and Span Rinse and let dry. Scrape any loose finish. Fill any damaged spots or hardware holes that won't be reused. Sand fill smooth. Scuff sand the rest. Tack off dust. Hang in dust free paint booth with wires through hardware points to spray both sides. Or lay on a spinner, and do one side at a time. Tack off dust again. Spray with shellac based primer. Scuff sand again. Tack off dust. Spray with second coat of primer. Spray with first finish coat of a polyurethane enamel (DIY) Or conversion varnish, (Pro product) . NOT house paint. Never house paint. Spray with second coat. If glazing is to occur, that is next. Spray with clear over glaze that is compatible with base coat and glaze. Add more molding or decorative details to boxes, filling nail holes and sanding smooth. Repeat prep process with face frames and exposed cabinet sides using plastic to create a spray booth on site. If interiors are to be done, they are done before face frames and sides. Interiors are difficult, and add both time and expense to the job. Most interiors are laminate and don't accept paint well. Allow everything to fully cure. That's 7-14 days. Clean hinges and hardware and clear coat if you're keeping the old hardware. Install new (or old) hinges and hardware. Re-install doors and drawers and adjust for proper clearances. If you are receiving or doing a job without this amount of effort, then you are not getting a quality job. You are getting a poor quality job that will not last.
    ...See More

Kitchen cabinet painting nightmare - need advice.

Q

Comments (20)
    In retrospect I should have dug deeper into the painter’s statement that he has done waterbased paint before since he clearly specializes in CV, but he’s been in the business a long time and came highly recommended so we went for it. Lesson learned. As a disclaimer, you are a bit past my knowledge here, as I have not really used the chemcraft waterborne products. I don't think Chemcraft Aquaset is a water-based paint. It is a solvent based paint that is waterborne, it has fairly low amounts of solvent, especially when compared to conversion varnish. Also, it likely doesn't create formaldehyde in the curing process as conversion varnish does. I don't want to freak you out but you should mention to Chemcraft that you are pregnant. I believe that Aquaset has an, "Avoid exposure during pregnancy" warning. As a disclaimer I just googled "chemcraft aquaset material safety data sheet" to get that information so it may not be correct. I am unconvinced his experience with water borne products is the problem, I think you are in danger of post hoc fallacy. I bet that I could switch out a pure solvent based conversion varnish with a waterborne conversion varnish and most people couldn't tell the difference in application. ---- The idea that he will do the job as he originally agreed to do it but will not warranty it, will not fly unless he also offers you an option to get your money back. He can't arbitrarily force you into a worse position than you agreed to originally. You are essentially scrapping the original contract (which we can assume had a workmanship warranty by default) and creating a new contract (disclaiming the warranty) without any consideration (compensation). I would insist that he perform the work as agreed in the original contract with all warranties intact, or return the money. Technically, you might be able to get more, but cash in hand might be better for everyone.
    ...See More
  • pghtwin
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@groveraxle I Know!!! Pink floors and light green counter!!! I'm starting to have mini anxiety attacks over the right white choice due to these 2 major surfaces in the kitchen. I have a friend and a spray painter for 3 whole days this week. I have to make the right white choice the first time!!!

• User
    6 years ago

You need more than 3 days to paint. They need to dry for 24 hours between coats.

• pghtwin
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@truey All of the prep work will be done before my friend gets there...door/drawer removal, hardware removal, surface cleaning, sanding, etc. You don't think three full days for just the painting will be enough?

• User
    6 years ago

I don't know...I just read a blog where someone used bm advance and their biggest regret was not waiting long enough between coats.

If if I can find it in my history I'll post the link.

• groveraxle
    6 years ago

• groveraxle
    6 years ago

White kitchens are hard to do in Photoshop. The kitchen above does not account for the reflection you'll get from those floors. Keep in mind that white will be way less forgiving than a darker color.

• User
    6 years ago

I like the darker cabinets here. Maybe not black, but a charcoal. Dark gray will go with the "pink" floor and the green counters. The pink tile, I suppose, is to mimic terra cotta, so leave them alone for now.

pghtwin thanked User
  • PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    6 years ago

I'm painting cabinets right now. Went with SW ProClassic in satin. I hate it. The paint itself is wonderful to work with, I just don't like the satin finish I chose - it doesn't have any slip. Shoulda gone with semi.

I have a friend at PPG who recommends a product of theirs called Break Through in satin as a solution.

She says, "It's used often on apartment cabinets and doors due to quick dry and durability. Because it cures so quickly you don't want to overwork it and it's a bit thinner than traditional paint (by design) but performs beautifully. "

So. There's that.

• User
    6 years ago

Lori, I have been reading many of your posts here on Houzz and on your blog. I am trying to learn as much as possible about color selection, but feel I am treading water. I am considering Chantilly Lace for the trim throughout my home and eventually for the family room built-in cabinets. We face north and I have been having a dilly of a time finding the right white despite everything I read and test. I have purchased pint samples and even a piece of drywall along with replacement trim sample. I place them all over the house!

Can you tell me a little about your recommendation of Chantilly Lace for this kitchen situation? I hope I can learn a little more from your suggestion.

• pghtwin
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@truey Thanks! The Photoshoping helps a ton. The white kitchen makes the counters look much more nuetral but think that is the photo...they are definitely a pale celadon green. The painting time-frame does give me heart palpitations. The kids and husband are gone so this was the time to do it! Hopefully it is enough. Worst case scenario is it does not get done and I finish it the following weekend i guess.

When I had originally said I'd want to paint the floors this is sort of what I was thinking. Both of these floors have been painted/stained darker or black. It's obviously not regular wall paint but something similar to what would be used on a garage floor.

• pghtwin
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@Lori So you'd still stick with Benjamin Moore over Sherwin Williams? I've always used SW for walls and had no problems, but never done cabinets before. Seems that people are usually loyal to one or the other. One thing I did get from all of the reading is that it's either Benjamin Moore Advance or Sherwin Williams ProClassic? Was going to go semi. I've got kids and need help with friendly cleanable surfaces!

• pghtwin
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@jenwen You bring up an argument that has been going on in my head from the beginning. I wasn't sure about a darker gray. Wasn't sure if the gray would actually make the counter top look even greener since in some light the counter could look more light greenish-gray than just light celadon green....so putting an actual gray next to it would make it look greener. Make sense?

• pghtwin
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I should have named this post,

Green Counters, Pink Floors, 90s Cabinets, Oh MY!

• acm
    6 years ago

1) your sample floors look like brick or terra cotta that has been stained -- that's pretty different from tile that has been painted. it's a short-term solution at best.

2) I was going to advocate a warm white until I saw Grover's renderings -- I think the dark brown is totally the winner. Keep it warm enough to work with the floors, and you'll get away from all the potential stumbles over the right shade of white, offwhite, gray, etc. even if you do it with paint instead of stain, I think that's the right choice.

pghtwin thanked acm
  • Rawketgrl
    6 years ago

Do not paint the floors. It looks great for 1 year at best then FLAKES everywhere, in your food, on your clothes, in your dogs water bowl. Never again. Even with garage epoxy which is a terrible smelling product and you have to move out for several days while it cures. I wouldn't even paint the cabinets. Just save your money for when you can redo it all. Painted cabs can chip and look terrible after a few years. If you must do it pick the darker color it will not show the chips so much.

pghtwin thanked Rawketgrl
  • pghtwin
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@rawketgrl We were trying to do an inexpensive kitchen remodel to have a kitchen that we could like (maybe not love) because there are so many other projects that will need the money before the kitchen we'd love to have. We spend so much time in our kitchen in our everyday life and even when company comes over. I do agree and think I'm leaning back towards my original gut feeling with the dark cabinets. Thanks for your opinion.

• Mrs. S
    6 years ago

How about a sage-y green for the cabinets? Maybe a charcoal center island, if you like the two-toned look.

pghtwin thanked Mrs. S
  • PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    6 years ago

Lori, I have been reading many of your posts here on Houzz and on your blog. I am trying to learn as much as possible about color selection, but feel I am treading water.

I've often thought about doing a Color 101 kind of webinar about white. Maybe when things slow down for me client-wise around the end of summer I'll get one together. If anyone is interested, DM me and I'll let you know when the webinar is live on Camp Chroma.

Can you tell me a little about your recommendation of Chantilly Lace for this kitchen situation? I hope I can learn a little more from your suggestion.

Couple reasons - and they're long.

Chantilly Lace belongs to the green-yellow hue family. It lives over near 5GY. Once whites get past the 5 GY point in terms of hue family, they can start to be perceived as blue.

Fun color fact. There are very few whites that belong to the blue hue family, very few "blue whites". Because super pale, pastel blues are difficult for measurement devices to read. If you can't measure it, you can't make it.

As a result, most colors of white that the average person with average color vision perceives as blue actually belongs to the green-yellow or green hue family. Perceptually the color of white may read as blue, but technically it's not. Technically matters in terms of which white harmonizes with which color.

And there's a whole novel I could write about that but suffice it to say that it's really important to correctly identify what hue family a color belongs to from a D65 illuminant (daylight at noon light source) perspective.

OP mentioned that the color of the count top is somewhere in the blue-green hue family. Chantilly Lace is the closest to blue-green while still being 'above' that 5GY mark. We need a white that relates to the blue-green counter top but we don't want a white that actually belongs to the blue-green hue family -- because it won't look "white".

Additionally, Chantilly Lace on the cabinets will be neutral enough to transition through all the updates - it's a good, basic, clean white.

pghtwin thanked Lori A. Sawaya
  • User
    6 years ago

If you do decide to go darker, then you might consider replacing a few of the panels in the doors with glass to lighten it up a bit and display nice dishware. This is not expensive. I was quoted about $60 per door with glass. I called a local cabinet maker.

Updated hardware in nickel/silver tones would also be nice in any color you choose. And rather than painting the tile floor, perhaps the backsplash could get painted (proper prep is key here -- right primer/paint, taping, etc.). Finally, perhaps a different rug with no red tones. I think with some of these changes your floor will not look so pink. But to me, terra cotta tiles are timeless.

Could you post pictures of the "after"? They are very much appreciated!

pghtwin thanked User
  • User
    6 years ago

Lori, thanks for the answer. I would very much be interested in an online webinar!

I have a friend who used Chantilly Lace on her trim. She recently had some new countertops in a faux marble look installed from Home Depot in Silestone White Arabesque with a basic white subway tile for a backsplash. The counters look kind of gray at times. She wants to paint her cabinets black rather than white but I think the Chantilly Lace would work nicely with the countertop. I also considered Super White for my trim and interior doors, but am still leaning toward the CL since it seems so clean.

Now back to the OP, do you think that a darker color would also work in this situation as she is now leaning? Are they easier than whites? And in what situations would you recommend darker colors over a white?

• pghtwin
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@mobuddy. Oh, I wish they were terra cotta floor tile vs the cheaper looking ceramic that they are. I've thought about replacing some of the fronts as suggested with glass. It's baby steps with us due to time and money. The back splash is getting torn out and replaced next. The hunter green accents in the tile and SINK probably accentuate the counter's green color. Not having that pink and green back splash directly next to the counter will most likely help a ton.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    6 years ago

Now back to the OP, do you think that a darker color would also work in this situation as she is now leaning? Are they easier than whites? And in what situations would you recommend darker colors over a white?

I would throw as much white and brushed nickle finishes at that room as possible.

The blush colored tiles and espresso-like stain makes me think Halloween. I'd much rather explore what could be done with white cabinets, celadon counter tops and a pink floor until reno time.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    6 years ago

@Lori So you'd still stick with Benjamin Moore over Sherwin Williams?

Advance does take a while to dry. ProClassic in semigloss would probably be fine - just not satin. I also like Cabinet Coat by Inslx now owned by Ben Moore.

There are good and bad grades of paint from every brand. I specify them all as long as it's top tier. Whatever makes the painter happy is #1, whatever makes the client happy #2. Sometimes it's all about the color(s) and we go with the 'home brand' of the paint colors to avoid messy color matching gymnastics.

• User
    6 years ago

Lori, I think the analogy of Halloween is good. I have reclaimed brick on my house and in my family room fireplace. It is orange-salmon much like this kitchen flooring. I won't paint it ever, but work with it by choosing the right white for the cabinets and possibly a blue or gray sofa.

In the photoshopped pic of the white cabinets, I think the wall color could be throwing things off.

Pghtwin, could you tell us a little about your decorating tastes and what inspires you? Do you have any artwork or collectibles that you want to display in the kitchen? Accent colors you love?

• pghtwin
    Original Author
    6 years ago

So now that I'm home and can give a better reference by looking. I happened to grab some green/blue/gray paint swatches to match the counter for shopping reasons. The color that I found matched pretty darn close was SW 6177 Softened Green. My counters might be a quarter to half shade lighter than that.

I'm swaying towards white again. No idea when we will be able to an actual kitchen reno with kid expenses and other projects that come up as a "have to do" vs. "want to do". White seems to be more of a timeless thing when it comes to kitchens. Problem is that I like both dark and white and that is probably adding to my confusion and last minute indecisiveness.

My style...more like our house's style would be a cop-out answer. It's somewhere in-between transitional and contemporary. Transitional because of my husband's taste for more traditional which I do not prefer unless it's a nice antique or piece of artwork used as an accent. I lean towards more contemporary. I like clean lines, neutrals as the primary palette with splashes of color here and there. Our house in general would be transitional. We've got a mish-mash of everything: IKEA, vintage mid century modern dining room set, old Pottery Barn style couch and chairs (on the list to replace), and a few antique pieces, artisan type worldly pieces, etc. This is probably one of the most confusing answers of one's style you could get. I'm eclectic in my taste. I appreciate many things :o)

I'm going to go out tomorrow and buy several colors, paint some board, and look at them in the morning light and then the evening night when I get home from work.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    6 years ago

pghtwin thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • User
    6 years ago

I think the white perimeter with the island something else could be really nice (perhaps the pros here or more experienced could offer up a good complimentary color). You could get the best of both worlds!

And you could start painting the whites this weekend while you figure the rest out. I think you might need more than just one weekend though. If your budget could allow, IKEA has some nice butcher block counters for less than $100 that could look really good on the island.

The pics Beverly pulled up are good inspirations.

pghtwin thanked User
  • pghtwin
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@BeverlyFLADeziner Thanks so much for the great pictures. I'm leaning towards the white again and those helped. I'll probably started with the perimeter cabinets and paint them white. The island will be last and I can decide whether to stick with all white or go with a different color as mobuddy89 suggested.

@mobuddy...thanks. I'll probably go with your suggestion. Whether I go all white or two colors, I'll decide after I see the white up on the perimeter. I'll also get some other colors beside the whites tomorrow, paint some boards, and place them by the island.

• User
    6 years ago

Featherbee, your cabinets look great. Nice to hear after six years they are still holding up (just read another thread where someone really bashed painted cabs -- your proof that it can be done successfully) . Interesting that you used CC as the primer. Isn't it usually the topcoat?

• pghtwin
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@FeatherBee Your kitchen redo looks awesome! Congrats and great work.

I totally agree with the prep work! I'm doing a ton. Cleaning, degreasing, sanding, and priming. I had done lots of research and found everything from the extreme to hardly any cleaning and prep at all...just paint them! I've gone with the extreme. After cleaning and dregreasing those cabinets last night...there is NO WAY I could have gone without that much prep. We scraped along with the degreasing to get things off such as adhesive pads, raised areas from the old hardware, and food. The amount of grease buildup near the stove after years of cooking was gross. The closer to the stove the more that just skimmed off like layers of skin. Tonight is sanding!

A question for you. If your house is like mine, you have the same color wood running throughout the entire house with baseboards and crown molding. Are you living with it, painting it, or re-staining it to a more neutral (un-oragney) brown?

I'm buying several different colors of paint to test and help settle the battle ongoing in my head. Seeing them up in large patches in different light and cabinet locations around the kitchen will hopefully help.

Thanks for your input!

• FeatherBee
    6 years ago

mobuddy89 - thank you :)

And good question about the paint. Back when I bought I didn't know much about paint. In fact, I hadn't painted since grade school so I did a little research online and then went to a family owned specialty paint store and asked about BM's Advance. They told me Advance has a primer and paint but they recommended Cabinet coat (for primer) because they said they'd been selling it for years and never had one complaint. I probably could have gotten by with just CC (I believe it's paint and primer in one), but I will say that Advance levels beautifully so no complaints on my end.

• FeatherBee
    6 years ago

Thank you pghtwin and good luck with yours :)

It sounds like you're doing a lot of prep work so I'll think you'll have a great result, even if you do go with white :)

My house has the dreaded faux wood color trim and doors. I hate orange oak with a passion so I actually tore out my orange oak hardwood in the foyer and replaced with a darker wood. When we put hardwood down we replaced the trim with new white trim. The old trim was so cheap that it wasn't worth keeping and painting. Plus I wanted taller trim.

I still haven't finished painting all the doors (they are too $$ to replace all of them) - so for now my house trim/doors doesn't all match. It's a ton of work and for some reason I hate painting the doors. I didn't mind painting the cabinets but doors and trim suck lol.

Here's a B&A of my pantry area.

I redid my master bathroom a couple years ago and that time around I replaced the oak vanity with a cherry one that matches my hardwood. I also got all new doors and trim.

And yes, I had carpet in my old bathroom ...

It's a long process but I'm slowly getting rid of the orange oak...

• User
    6 years ago

I just got a 40$ critter spray gun to use with my husbands compressor. I haven't tried it yet but it gets awesome reviews. Might make the door painting go much quicker.

• FeatherBee
    6 years ago

truey - good idea. I bought a sprayer years ago but was afraid to use it. I'll check out the one you mentioned. Thank you.

• dreamin22
    6 years ago

Hi FeatherBee! Your kitchen is beautiful! Did you use BM Advance semi or satin finish on your kitchen cabinets?

• pghtwin
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I'm not sure anybody will even check these out, but thought I'd post because I know I like to see the transformations. It's been forever since I did the original post, but I forgot to get back to this and post any type of "after" pictures. I happened to be going through old photos on my phone yesterday and found some that I had taken back in September. Excuse the iPhone quality pictures and the hole from the missing drawer front below the sink. The hardware to attach the false front had mistaken been pitched by someone and we had not yet fixed the issue.

After much debate on the kitchen cabinet paint, we ended up going light vs dark and were happy that we did. The kitchen seems bigger and brighter. The counters actually look new and have been mistaken as such by friends and family. The floors are pink but no longer seem to scream it when we are in there. The island lighting configuration was flipped and new pendants installed. The pink and green backsplash was replaced with carrara subway tile. We decided to paint the island gray and love how it picks up on the grays in the carrara. We went with a brushed nickel for cabinet hardware and changed all the drawers to pulls.

Time involved: The painting prep took about two weekends due to extremely filthy, grimy cabinets needing a good degreasing, gunk scraping, and an initial sanding. The actual painting took about 4 + days due to a stubborn paint sprayer that cost us almost an entire day. We primed and then did 2-3 coats of paint with some touch-ups in heavy grain (oak wood) areas. The tile backsplash took another 2 weekends from start to finish. The pale yellow walls were replaced with lighter gray. The pink and green tiles framing the kitchen window seat and desk area were painted the same color as the cabinets as a temporary but satisfying fix. The only thing we really need to do and have not done, is to change out the hunter green sink.

• beanie1922
    6 years ago

@pghtwin Looks awesome! Which paint brand did you end up using?

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    6 years ago

Amazing results. Way to color for your now. In the grand scheme, not that much time and money. More effort than anything else. And I think that investment of time, money and effort is totally worth it to color for your now and make it as livable as possible so you can relax and not rush planning for the bigger remodel.

• pghtwin
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@beanie1922 I ended using Sherwin Williams. The original colors that I liked in Benjamin Moore just didn't look as nice once in the space. After lots of paint chip comparing, pairing whites and grays with each other, as well as against the floor and counter, Sherwin Williams had the colors we liked best. It's also held up fantastically so far with two kids and a not so careful husband. There is only one area that has lots of abrasion type opportunities that has started to show some wear. In all honesty though, that is the one door that I messed up with prep work. I will most likely redo that door correctly which should help.

• Chessie
    6 years ago

It looks fantastic. Isn’t it amazing what paint can do? I did the same project last spring so I know how much work that was. Congrats!

pghtwin thanked Chessie
  • pghtwin
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@chess Thanks. I agree. It's a ton of work and mainly prep work. I don't know how there are these people out there who can claim that there is no prep needed. If I would have painted the cabinets as is, I think the paint would have beaded on top with the amount of grease I skimmed off that couldn't be seen until scraping/cleaning. :O) It was disgustingly eye opening.

• isabel98
    6 years ago

this looks great!

pghtwin thanked isabel98
  • groveraxle
    6 years ago

Looks fabulous. I especially love your backsplash choice. It works really well with the countertops.

• Chessie
    6 years ago

pghtwin, absolutely agree. Prep is EVERYTHING. I don't think folks here claim no prep needed - I think it's the online DIY bloggers that just try to get their fan base up LOL. Anyone that spends the proper amount of time researching it, will know to ignore those people. :-) And yes it was SO yucky the amount of grease and grime! That stuff really builds up - and the thing is - the wood HIDES all that dirt - at least mine did. Now my cabs are much easier to clean, and I like it that way.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    6 years ago

What color white from SW did you end up choosing for the cabinets?