SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beachbum0721

Kitchen cabinet painting nightmare - need advice.

beachbum0721
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

4 months ago we had our light wood kitchen cabinets painted white. The professional cabinet refinisher who did the job usually uses conversion varnish, but agreed to use waterbased paint since I was concerned about the conversion varnish fumes (we have small children in the house and they told us we would have to be out of the house for the first two days if they sprayed with conversion varnish). The painter assured me he had done waterbased paint before.

When he actually started painting, it was obvious that he had never done waterbased paint and perhaps just thought he could figure it out as he went. It was dripping badly, he had to go to Home Depot to buy a bunch of different sprayers, there was a lot of mumbled cursing, etc. He ended up having to re-do it all due to the drips and it ultimately took 3 times longer than he said it would. Throughout it all he maintained he had done waterbased paint before and just “didn’t know what was happening” with our kitchen. He ended up calling in a friend to help him who I gathered worked with waterbased paint, and his friend let it slip in front of me that our painter had never worked with waterbased paint before and didn’t realize it was an entirely different animal. Our painter is a very nice guy so I didn’t want to make a huge deal out of it, but at this point I was kind of annoyed that he wasn’t upfront with us on that.

Anyway, when the cabinets were finally done they looked okay. Not perfect, but acceptable. Slowly over time as the paint fully cured and settled, they ALL ended up turning splotchy brown. I contacted the painter again, he took a cabinet to his supplier, and they supposedly told him there’s “oil in the wood grain” and the only option is to use conversion varnish instead of waterbased paint. He said he’s willing to re-do all the cabinets again with waterbased but if I want him to do that, he’s not going to be held responsible for future discoloring. He is also willing to re-do them all using conversion varnish.

I’m a little bit at a loss. I don’t want him to use conversion varnish due to the very toxic fumes, but I honestly wouldn’t have had him do this project at all if he had (1) told me he had never done waterbased paint and (2) told me there was a possibility of discoloration. I also wonder if the splotches are due to poor prepping on his part and not actually some “oil in the wood grain”, whatever that means. (I’m no expert but Google tells me conversion varnish is much more forgiving than waterbased paint and the prep work is not as rigorous.)

I suppose my questions are - what would you do? And if there are experts out there, does this explanation of oil in the wood grain make any sense?

Comments (20)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida