SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
schustan

Houzzers - Advice on Kitchen Cabinet Painting?

Angie Schuster
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Our kitchen was remodeled in 2003, and the cabinets are solid maple. The perimeter cabinets are in EXCELLENT shape - there isn't a scratch on them, and they look almost as good as the day they were installed (minor fading by the slider). I chose a painted island at that time when we ordered them, and that MUST be repainted now. It's faded to a yellow-beige on all sides where the sun hits, yet the beadboard side is still cream. It also has chipped on open shelves and at the baseboard where water hits when mopped. We will hire a professional to paint. Here's where I need expertise:

1. All of my cabinets are glazed with an antique stain and have wormholes. Do I do that again on the island? What about the wormholes if I don't? (And should they match the perimeter cabinet glazing?)

2. Will paint that's not by the manufacturer hold up worse? (We considered painting the perimeter as well but can't believe the difference in stained/painted with wear.)

3. Backsplash update? I love subway tile but want to stay minimal with our granite.

Existing house projects · More Info

Existing house projects · More Info

Thanks for your help!

Comments (15)