SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aph84

Full window replacement or glass only?

aph84
4 years ago

Most of the windows in my house are the original 1980s aluminum frame windows. About half of them are starting to fog up. Many of the screens are also in poor shape... either torn or the frames are bent. Otherwise, the windows still seem to work well. They look pretty good inside and out, open and close easily, and have unobtrusive narrow frames that I like.

I have gotten a quote to replace the glass only and install new screens, while keeping the same overall window, for roughly $5k. This process would use the same Cardinal low-e glass that most window manufacturers in my area advertise. The contractor seemed knowledgeable and he thought I'd be happy with his results.

I have also gotten several quotes to replace the windows with vinyl for $18k (Window World) or fiberglass for $50k (Marvin). These salespeople have strongly discouraged the glass replacement option, saying that the seals would fail again very quickly.

I prefer the glass replacement option for several reasons. Obviously, cost. But also, I think all the replacement windows I've seen look clunky compared to my aluminum windows. And finally, all new windows in my area are required to have triple coated low-e glass, which in my opinion, looks uninviting from the outside and would block too much light inside. My house was designed before low-e glass, and many of my windows face north under the shade of several live oaks. Many other windows face out onto covered porches. Triple coated low-e is required by code if I replace these windows, but I can choose clear glass if I do glass only. So I might end up having to replace the glass on new windows anyway, to get more light.

I realize both the glass replacement contractor and the window salespeople have a financial interest in my choosing their product, so I'm not sure who to trust. Does anyone have experience with glass replacement? Were you happy with it? Anyone have advice?

Comments (12)