SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_516350242

Split level garage conversion: extra bedroom or master bathroom

Melissa Vaughn
4 years ago

We have a 1960's split level. We have a lot of children and the layout quickly became difficult to manage. There is a front door, a back patio door, two exits in the garage and the layout made it impossible to keep an eye on everyone. We made our over-size 2 car garage into a kitchen, living room, and dining room so the living space is downstairs and the bedrooms are upstairs. There is still 1 bedroom downstairs but that will be an office. We converted the living room and dining room that were upstairs into a master bedroom and walk-in closet. Everything is still in process so please excuse the photos. Long-story-long the upstairs kitchen is the hot topic right now. Originally when I came up with this plan my idea was to convert it into a master bath with a large walk-in shower and double vanity....maybe a soaker tub but I really don't need something else to clean. Our neighborhood has mostly 4-5 bedroom homes with 2-3 bathrooms. When we bought our home it had 4 bedrooms and 2 full baths. If we convert the old upstairs kitchen to a bathroom we will have 5 bedrooms and 3 full bathrooms. If we convert it to a bedroom we will have 6 bedrooms and 2 full baths. On the other side of that room is the current bathroom so the plumbing is all there. In addition, since it is a kitchen the current sink could easily become a double vanity with minimal plumbing expense. So, which is better for resale: an additional bedroom or a master bathroom?

Pics are of the bedroom and closet that used to be the living room dining room. The entrance to the bathroom would be on the wall behind my husbands beloved recliner :) The kitchen pictures are from the Zillow posting for plumbing reference. The toilet is behind the corner cabinet and the sink in the current bathroom is behind the fridge.

Comments (2)