SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_236802650

Lose a bedroom or bathroom for upstairs laundry?

HU-236802650
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

We are currently in the process of designing our plans for the renovation of a 1960s home. Currently the home has 4 bedrooms and 3.5 bathrooms. All bedrooms and the 3 full bathrooms are on the second floor. The laundry is downstairs in a tiny mudroom off the kitchen. The more I contemplate this, the more I agonize over hauling laundry up and down the stairs, and lament having laundry in a “pass through“ zone where I would need to be concerned about visitors seeing an unfolded laundry pile. So we are now considering moving it upstairs. The two options we have in order to accomplish this are to either convert a TINY 4 x 8.5 bathroom (which is currently accessed like a second master, through one of the bedrooms. Or we could lose the smallest bedroom (13.5x10.5). In the second option we would also have room to create more master closet space (though the closet space is nice as is, about 8x8), add to the total square footage of one of the bedrooms and closet, and have a larger laundry room than in option 1. A more extensive project for sure, but possibly worthwhile. While we have no foreseeable plans fo move again, life is always surprising and we want to be mindful of resale. Would love some thoughts to consider regarding which option would impact resale value more. I personally like the potential functionality of the space that would be created in the option where we lose the 4th bedroom, but worry this will negatively affect resale more than removing the 3rd bath. Or are both terrible ideas for resale?

Comments (25)