SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sondo13

Hardwood: contionous or different in open space vs rooms?

sondo13
4 years ago

We have a dilemma on whether we should be installing the same hardwood over the entire floors contentiously - open space and office - or to install different in the open space and in the office. Similar for the 2nf floor, for the bonus room with hallways versus bedrooms. Initially we thought that it would be good to have same nice and wide plank medium-light hardwood in the all open areas on both floors so the stairs will transit to hardwood in the same way; also everyone wants a much lighter hardwood in the bedrooms than in the open areas, and noone cares about wide planks in the bedrooms. But then we were told that many people like to have the same hardwood everywhere. So we can do another option: put a nice wide plank everywhere on the 1st floor including the office, and narrow planks very light hardwood everywhere on the 2nd floor. What do people think? What was your reasoning to have continuous or to have different wood? Do you love your choice several years after? Thanks!

Comments (57)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

Same everywhere including the stairs

• PRO
    Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

The issue with what you're proposing OP is not just the different colors. You're basically striving for two separate styles. You want darker wide planks on the main level, which tends to tread more rustic. Then you want light, narrow planks on the second floor which is more traditional. Ideally you want all the rooms in a home to feel like they belong together. With what you're proposing its going to feel like two homes smashed together.

For hardwood theres three things to consider basically: stain color, species, and plank width. For a home two out of these of these should be the same if you want a consistent space that flows together. If you want to do different hardwood colors on different levels then fine, but the species and width should be the same. Time to edit the design.

• Related Discussions

What is the difference between a Closed vs a Sealed crawl space?

Q

Comments (4)
    I'm not aware of any code that accepts a dehumidifier in a sealed or closed crawlspace. The IRC applies to almost all of the US and this is what it says: 2006 & 2009 IRC 2006 - Section 408.3 - UNVENTED CRAWLSPACES Ventilation openings in under-floor spaces specified in Sections R408.1 and R408.2 shall not be required where: - Continuously operated mechanical exhaust ventilation at a rate equal to 1.0 cfm for each 50 ftò of crawlspace floor area, including an air pathway to the common area, and perimeter walls insulated in accordance with Section N1102.2.8. - Conditioned air supply sized to deliver at a rate equal to 1.0 cfm for each 50 ftò of under-floor area including a return air pathway to the common area, and perimeter walls insulated in accordance with Section N1102.2.8. 2006 IECC Section 402.2.8 and 2009 IECC Section 402.2.9 - CRAWLSPACE WALLS - As an alternative to insulating floors over crawlspaces, crawlspace walls shall be permitted to be insulated when the crawlspace is not vented to the outside [excerpt]. "Common Area" is the living space of the house. "Conditioned Space" is the space within a building that is provided with heating and/or cooling equipment or systems capable of maintaining, through design or heat loss/gain, 50ðF during the heating season and 85ðF during the cooling season, or communicates directly with a conditioned space. For mechanical purposes, an area, room or space being heated or cooled by any equipment or appliance.
    ...See More

3/8 inch vs 1/2 inch engineered hardwood main floor any difference?

Q

Comments (15)
    Helpful discussion! I am installing hardwood on our top floor, and I'd like a good quality hardwood. The trouble is that I have an open staircase going upstairs with lots of railing on both sides of the open hallway. I pulled up the existing carpet upstairs and realized that I only have 1/2 inch between the carpet and the railing. The hardwood contractor says that I'll have to go with 3/8 inch engineered hardwood; If I don't, the new floor will be higher than the railings. Alternatively, the railings will all have to be pulled out and their height increased-which will cost thousands. My question is this: Are these the only two options? 3/8" hardwood or raise the railings? Since we have a dog, I am a bit concerned about getting a flooring product with a 2 mm wear layer.
    ...See More

Kitchen Floors - hardwood vs Vinyl plank floor vs Other??

Q

Comments (9)
    I am not a huge fan of vinyl plank flooring. It feels very fad'y. Ten years from now, it'll be the one thing that lets you date when you did the remodel. Having said that, they do have pretty decent designs these days. They come really close to fooling you into thinking it's the real thing. And while some of the hype seems to be just that, they reportedly do stand up to abuse much better than older man-made materials. The nice thing about real hardwood though is that you can relatively easily refinish it. Or you can pick a material that looks great even when it is distressed. Neither one is really an option with vinyl planks. On the whole, I do agree with you though. The much better flooring material in the kitchen is tile. No need to stress if you spill something. And if you install radiant floor heating, it feels really nice on your feet, too. And if you carry if through the rest of the house, you can use area rugs in select locations. But that's going to be more expensive than putting down LVP. So, it's a bit of "you get what you pay for". On the other hand, if you plan on living in the house for the long run, it might make sense to do things right once, rather than replacing the cheaper flooring every couple of years.
    ...See More

will changing hardwood flooring colors in different rooms look ok?

Q

Comments (7)
    Ask your husband if he's happy with replacing the bedroom hardwood (engineered) in 7-10 years. Ask him if he wants to change the EXISTING wood colour (full sand and refinish) in 5-7 years (well before they 'need' it). Because a poorly thought out install (as suggested in your original post) is going to cause ONE of them to 'go'. For that reason my #1 preference = same site finished wood as elsewhere. The cost difference will be a few hundred dollars (cost of materials + labour) for a small rooms like a bedrooms. My SECOND preference is SOLID hardwood in a factory finish that is CLOSE to the original floor's colour. That way you have TWO solid wood floors that CAN BE site finished in the future. If your husband INSISTS on the installation part, then push for my #2 option. Solid Red Oak in a factory finish that is close to the same colour (or natural). That way you can deal with BOTH floors at a later date. And BTW: carpets hide the WORST subfloors possible. Let hubby know he may have to do some SERIOUS work on those subfloors before throwing down a hardwood floor. Rarely are you able to rip out carpet and lay hardwood the same day. The amount of work that is needed to get carpeted subfloors up to snuff can be $2-$4/sf for labour alone (if you hired out the job). And that's when you ask hubby AGAIN how much he will like a floor he laid if it is bouncy and squeaky and has no one to call but the guy looking back at him in the mirror. Remember: it is CHEAPER to get a professional to do it right the FIRST time than it is to call the professional to fix the mess you made. But then again, flooring professionals make a TON of money dealing with DIY oopsas. If you like your professional and want to send him MORE WORK, you can always let hubby deal with this first and then call your professional SECOND. S/He might be happy for the extra work (ahem....extra money).
    ...See More
  • calidesign
    4 years ago

Choose the flooring that is best for your main level, and use it everywhere. You get your "comfy" feeling in the bedrooms from the addition of area rugs. It makes no sense whatsoever to put in new hardwoods on both floors that are different from each other.

• sondo13
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Due to some design requirements, the complete 3 stacks of open stairs were ordered separately and will be done from a solid wood which is limited to the only woods they make stairs from (hard maple or red oak). Matching stairs wood and floors wood will be impossible and we are not going even to try; instead we plan to do hickory floors. I am not sure I still understand why floor should be same everywhere. Did you even had different wood in different rooms? Was choosing same wood everywhere a conscious choice, or just because it is how it was and you used to it? I have had a *very strong* preference to have different wood in each room entirely, so that everyone could personalize their area. So to this moment I still do not understand from the comments above why the same is preferred. Did you use as result narrow plank for open areas or wide plank for small rooms? How tit you choose the size and color of plank, to fit what?

• PRO
    Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
    4 years ago

Using the same hardwood throughout a home creates flow. It also makes a home feel cohesive, well designed, and larger. Yes, I have lived in a home with different floors in each room. It felt choppy and small You know what I did? Ripped it all up and put in one continuous floor.

At this point everyone has given you the same advice- use the same hardwood. Now it's up to you whether you listen or not. IMO this is one of those instances where going with your "very strong preference" really will impact the resale value of your home.

Good luck

• sondo13
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yeah. Well, I just only started to consider to have the same floor on each floor, and even this did not come easy. Having the same on both floors kind of really hard, and yes it removed the idea of having different atmosphere on the two floors (and I think it should be different, first floor is more formal, and second is more homy... why people want to have same atmosphere on both floors? Does not one want to be more relaxed on the floor where guests are not coming?). No, I am not thinking about resale value. This home was any way designed to be too specialized to make me and my family happy till I will have to go to a nursery house or so, not some arbitrary buyer in a future, and since we can not find any home that would have same features or floor plan in several years and built exactly because of that, if we would ever need to sell it, the home will have problems on the market from its personality more than from two types of floors....

• jmm1837
    4 years ago

I had the same flooring in all rooms of our previous house, on two floors. I found a wood species I loved, medium width, midtone with a lot of variation. Having the same flooring gives continuity and stylistic consistency. We did have to have a different wood on the stairs - we chose a non variegated wood that picked up one of the tones in the main flooring.

Unless you choose an ebony type wood, the flooring will have a warm look, regardless of where it is. Just add area rugs. If that isn't warm enough for you, maybe you should skip wood entirely on the upper floor and just carpet it.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

I am always amazed at people who post a question here and then argue with the input. One floor is best and “your atmosphere” in each space is established with color, texture and furnishings selection. Think hard about Hickory. It has wide variations in color and might be too busy for your pleasure. It is also limiting from a decor point of view. White oak or walnut would be very nice background for any decor. Done many homes and consistent wood is most lovely and timeless. Hope your mind is open to this input. Hope things come out well.

• cpartist
    4 years ago

So you posted the question hoping we'd all agree with you and now that not one person agrees with you, you will still do what you want and muddle up your house. It's your house and you're free to do whatever you want but that doesn't mean it's going to look good.

My upstairs is not as formal as my downstairs and I have the same 5" wide plank everywhere. But if the house is as bad as you say, maybe you need to rethink it anyway. Just because you plan to live out your life in the house doesn't mean it will happen. And what happens if you need the money for the nursing home?

• sondo13
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I asked the question and agreed to the input from that, looks like we will be going with same floor at least at each level. But people went with advises beyond that and I was not ready for that nor I had a question: about having the same floor on *both* levels. This was not in my question and I am still in a bit of a shock as unprepared as it is against the concept I had in my head. Some terms people say do not make yet sense to me. I do not understand what is meant about having a flow or why it is important. Can one explain what they mean under that? My house is not bad, my house is unique, and this will be the way we will love it. We designed rooms size and orders there (a workflow) in accordance to our lifestyle. And we want to enjoy our life in there the way we wanted, without thinking about its resale value for an average buyer. I understand flow as applicable to how you live, move, cook, come home, leave home, do daily routines etc. I am not sure I understand what flow means for the color of floors.

• cpartist
    4 years ago

Who designed your house?

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Different colors interrupt the visual space as the eye locks on the differences. So without "changes" the eye takes in the whole. That makes rooms look bigger, feel bigger, and flow together better. Your biggest problem with changing between floors are the stairs, because you will have a patchwork look hence reduce the number of species of flooring and colors. Different species woods take stain and poly differently, so you can't get a consistent look. Only one wood would help alleviate that issue.

• chispa
    4 years ago

Your eye flows from room to room and the flooring becomes a piece of the background and not something that stops your eyes at the threshold (doorway) of every room.

Usually houses with many different floor types are due to it being old and being remodeled at different times and people not being able to find and/or afford to match the existing floors. At some point someone will buy the house and rip out all the old different floors and put in the same floor type throughout the house.

It is just what the majority of people consider pleasing to look at and live with.

If you prefer a different look, you are free to do that in your own house, but your resale will suffer if you ever do need to sell.

• PRO
    G & S Floor Service
    4 years ago

Use both, mix the two sizes throughout the entire home.

• sondo13
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you for explaining about a flow. I understand about floor to become a piece of background if room to room means rooms within the open space (our open space will stretch 49' in longest direction one way and 33' in longest direction another way/about 5' in its narrowest place in a short hallway, so presumably there is no shortage of background, and that area is all the same floor). But usually the doors are closed to the rooms with doors, at least in our house. Doors leading to the office of to the bedrooms, or to bathrooms or mudrooms, laundry etc. One should not see behind the doors. Do you mean it continues to flow when you open the door and step in the room? But when you open the door, you can not see the floor behind you. It has been my best understanding before that even within an open space, if one has enough money, one makes separate floors for each area in a mosaic way, and it looks spectacular whenever I encounter it in real life (no, we are not there yet in terms of money... bit this is what I considered to be ideal and would do if we would have enough). In that concept a hallway is done with one tile/hardwood with one theme, a spacious living room could have a hardwood with an ornament to accent one or two place for sitting or similar. Look up italian floor designs. Each room/area is unique even within open continuous space, each room/space is beautiful in its own way that was specific to that room. So I came from another position, where I was sure that aesthetic strongly dictates to have different floors in different rooms, and floor should depend on room's purpose. Yes, may be our house is not yet larger enough to get diffident floors to different rooms without sacrificing the eye flow. Speaking of stairs, in our house, it will be not possible to see from one floor another floor, so in worst case one can see stairs and one floor, two kinds of wood. We talked to several designers, and at very least they told us not to try to match solid wood stairs with any hardwood, as it will never get stained the same way, and that especially strongly this will be seen if we would use the same wood, as then it will be clear that the attempt was done, and failed. So this is one of the reasons we decided to use hickory. But the main reason of hickory hardwood is that I just love it. If I see it, I cant' take my eyes of it. I may grow tired of it, but as of now I think it is the most beautiful hardwood (and great that we all are different and love different wood species).

• jmm1837
    4 years ago

OP - you asked for opinions so I'm not sure why you're upset about getting them.

I know that I personally would not aspire to different rooms having different flooring and decor: I think that might look spectacular in an English manor house or a French chateau, but not in an ordinary urban home. I like open concept , a sense of continuity throughout the house, and consistency in the decor (my taste runs to a combination of contemporary and tribal - eclectic if you will - and every part of my house reflects that). I don't want my home to be a series of stylistic vignettes unrelated to each other: that might be fine in a traditional home with plenty of walls, but seems to me to run counter to the entire point of open concept living.

• worthy
    4 years ago

if one has enough money, one makes separate floors for each area in a mosaic way

I guess not everyone has gotten the message. Witness these rooms from the same home with owners apparently not quite at that level of affluence.

10250 Sunset Blvd., Los Angeles 17 bedrooms, 22 bathrooms. L. $88 million. arch. Paul Revere Williams

• sondo13
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I am a bit upset as the idea of what I thought would be beautiful and comfy was killed today... But writing my messages I was not upset, I rather desperately tried to get from you all *why* it should be so, and until the description of what people mean as a flow was given, I could not understand why, I only saw the brief orders "be as everyone, we tell you so, hence be as everyone".

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Everyone here is trying to be helpful, but you are making it much harder than it should be. Obviously, you have a "vision" and are determined to go in this direction no matter what input you get, so be happy and just do it and quit asking others for opinions or help. We all give of our time and effort here "freely", and that is the bargain of the century. Yes, in Europe and other countries rooms tend to be more separate and individual. But they have some continuity. I lived in Brussels Belgium and have traveled the world over including spending many a day in Paris in many homes and settings. Yes, there are some beautiful floors there. Would I do it here, no. If you are in the U.S., this advise is from an American perspective. So, perhaps yours is vastly different. OK, take the input and value it at least to some degree. It is given with care and consideration.

• CindyR
    4 years ago

I am not a pro.

I understand that you like different floor appearances in different areas and / or floors. Perhaps you can get the same type of effect with area rugs showcasing different areas of your home instead of different types and colors of wood flooring?

If you post some pictures, it may be easier to give you advice. Good luck with your search.

• Alice Edwards
    4 years ago

Amen sista. I will be going with continuous throughout. My question that i need help with is in a small house, would it make the areas roomier to have a wide plank or a not so wide plank? And, lol, how do i choose the direction of the planks? Is that crazy or what? Kitchen and dining are somewhat separate (not real open plan)and then bedroom and bathroom in other half. Yes, this is Alice working on my mom’s cottage guest house. Still plugging along. Got quotes for plumbing and electrician over next week. Moving slow, but still excited about my project. If we are all still on HOUZZ in a year or so, i can’t wait to show pics of what all of you have graciously help me with.

• Alice Edwards
    4 years ago

Thus far....my own design, will probably learn some changes along the way. Attempted to duplicate her condo to avoid confusion when moving about..any ideas?

• Alice Edwards
    4 years ago

Picture of my layout

• Alice Edwards
    4 years ago

Oh front entrance will be located at bottom of picture at that front coat closet.

• Alice Edwards
    4 years ago

Already bought this tile combo for accent backsplash and may go with a light gray plank flooring, probably white cabinets.

• CindyR
    4 years ago

I’m confused.....

• sondo13
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Well, above is not me :) I am still not sure if I am allowed to post our blueprints. Even if it is my design and it is almost exactly after my revit model, formally blueprints is the property of the builder/engeneer who confirmed it.

• Alice Edwards
    4 years ago

Oh, sorry, i get excited, what’s the confusion?

• Alice Edwards
    4 years ago

I am not a pro, i am just a HOUZZ fan that chimed in. That’s just my own drawing.

• CindyR
    4 years ago

Alice I was not sure if you were the same person as the original poster or what was happening...if you are helping her or have your own question.

• Alice Edwards
    4 years ago

Oh i am not original poster for the continuous vs breaking up of the flooring design. I came in with my own comment that i am going continuous and had a question of wide planks vs not so wide planks to make an area feel larger? And how does one know which direction to run the planks?

• sondo13
    Original Author
    4 years ago

As a compromise, I cut out something from my one of my last revit model from almost an year ego, this is what existed before the engineer etc stepped in, and tried to remove most of comments w/o erasing the plan itself. A few things have changed but the final result is not much different and specifically for the purpose of understanding which floor is where. First is the 1st floor. Originally, the office/library was though to have a very different [dark and heavy] type of wood, not the same as the overall open area. I understood from the above that the common opinion that the floors should be same. Oh well, here goes the dark office. Second picture is the 2nd floor. Originally we thought to make the same wood in the open area of the 2nd floor as in the open area of 1st floor, so the open areas on both floors look the same (and doors are kept close, as it is usually is). And make bedrooms whatever whoever likes. Now I understand that everyone thinks all floors should be same... I understood the concept about an eye flow. But. Our 2nd floor is a maze of hallways and bedrooms with space been optimized for kids bedroom sizes, with kids' half of the house, and our half of the house, I am not sure it is even possible to create an eye flow, even if wood would be same everywhere...

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Alice - it would be best if you started your own "design dilemma" so there isn't confusion. You will get better input.

• CindyR
    4 years ago

Looking at your design:

You will make the upstairs landing, halls, etc. all the same as downstairs wood. Then, for the bedrooms and bathrooms you want something different, or each room unique?

Not being a designer myself, my personal preference would be to make all of the bedrooms either the same carpet, or hard surface flooring, and then do whatever you want in the bathrooms.

An issue with different flooring materials in different rooms is also having transition pieces and different flooring thickness. Also - the doorways will need to be undercut to allow for thicker flooring or the opposite for thinner flooring.

You are obviously a very imaginative, artistic person and are encouraging your children to create their own spaces (that’s great!). I still believe that a good way for show artistic expression to is by keeping the base a uniform “color” and then adding a beautiful rug to add interest, soften sounds, comfort the feet, and play off of whatever art and treasures are in the room.

In the end, this is your home, and you will need to make the choice, and pay the bill, yourself, so do what will make you happy every time you look at your floors.

• sondo13
    Original Author
    4 years ago

So far all three bathrooms are very different and each is unique, each with its own set of countertop color, matching one of the color hues cabinets, and faux marble tiles that has at main hue from countertops and cabinets. Ensuite is dark emeprador/maple cabinets in a hue that it same as lightest brown and faux cacalatta orro that has same brown hint. Kids bath is more in a white/grey hue, with faux statuario tiles, statuario type countertop and matching grey cabinets, the main floor bath is accented with black with white veins (black floor, floating black cabinets, and the countertop that is exactly opposite color to the floor). Kitchen has dark bottom and light top cabinets, with side countertops been white with black veins and the island been black with white veins. We did not yet think about fireplace wall. So far making up tiles/kitchen design was a joy (the price was really not). But then we got stuck with hardwood. We do like hickory, to the end of it :) But for the main open area we wanted something like http://timelesswoodfloors.ca/project/silverado/ while for the enclosed bedroom I really like very light, almost pale colors, while still very close to natural like appalachian poeisia https://www.appalachianflooring.com/collection/verita, or http://timelesswoodfloors.ca/project/monticello/ On the other hand, for the office, very dark hikocry https://lauzonflooring.com/hardwood-flooring/cedar-rail-hickory-flooring-designer-homestead/ (we are in Canada and hardwood brands provided via builder are not as wide as for the tiles, as it appeared...) Well, yes, there were plans for different woods for our bedroom and for kids ones. I had it so deep in my head, that I almost cry thinking that the wood must apparently be the same. In principle, kids will have the entire studio for them to decorate if the idea of making their bedrooms very individual in terms of floors will die out. We have a third floor too, which takes up the place directly above kids bedrooms and laundry etc, the whole half of the house, with a huge window, as their art studio, they both love to paint and are very good at it. We get this space from the builder as unfinished, so the kids can finish it any way the want it.

• Alice Edwards
    4 years ago

Hi Flo, yes, you are so right, sorry ‘guys and dolls’ i’ll do just that! I think that was a movie?

• Alice Edwards
    4 years ago

Please do forgive, Broadway

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Alice great, might to post the link here. I'm sure we would all love to jump over to help you. More fun that way too!

• calidesign
    4 years ago

If you use the same flooring throughout, you can still decorate completely differently in each area to give you the feel you want. For example, in your bedroom, instead of using a completely different light wood, you use the same darker wood floor you have everywhere else, and use a large, light rug and pale wall color. Or put different colors of carpet in each bedroom. For a darker, more masculine office space, you use the same wood floor you have everywhere and paint the walls in a deep moody color and build in dark bookcases. Your kids bedrooms can all be completely individual even with the same flooring! You do that through paint choices, wallpaper choices, bedding, rugs, artwork,, etc. You are thinking about your floors in the wrong way.

• sondo13
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yeah, it indeed seems that I "overthought" the value of floor in each room design. From the colors that I posted above, which one do you think could do best is used everywhere?

• calidesign
    4 years ago

Your choice should be based on your personal preference and the style of your home in terms of light and dark. I would try to avoid anything too extreme, and keep it fairly neutral, so you can decorate each room however you like. For example, any wood that has a lot of gold, red, or gray would be harder to decorate around. Try to find a mid tone neutral brown. You may want to look at your options again thinking of it throughout your space to help you decide.

• gr8beauty
    4 years ago

I understand wanting/needing different flooring for different areas. I have 4 different flooring types in my home area floor plan on my first floor and I hare it. Hardwood in the foyer, carpet in the family room and living room (they connect) and the dining room (the other ride of the foyer and off the kitchen), linoleum in the kitchen and tile in the powder room.

I was going to run hardwood (maple or white oak) but have tile in the powder room and kitchen and an onset of tile at the front door so the wood floors don’t get damaged from snow/rain.

I decided against that and I am going to have hardwoods everywhere except the powder room.

I am doing this for all the reasons the previous posters stated. It is easier on the eye, less busy, better resale value...

You can always define a space with area rugs, properly placed they pull a room together. I am also putting the same flooring on my second floor But keeping the carpet in my finished basement.

• sondo13
    Original Author
    4 years ago

You would do hardwood even in foyer? We lived for 10 years, in our snowy climate, with the previous owners installing hardwood literally everywhere (including bathroom and foyer). Bath and foyer did not hold it up well, to say the least, and it was hard o keep it in proper, with wiping immediately. In our snowy climate (snow can be brought in the house during 6 months of the year easily). So at least these areas (bathrooms/powder room/foyer) are never again for us. So may be it is that over-installement of hardwood truly everywhere except where we would want it (the bedrooms were carpet and we ripped it of immediately to change to hardwood) was what moved me strongly in the other direction, with each area be specialized...

• kariyava
    4 years ago

sondo13 of the woods you are considering, I like the third one (monticello). I love the dark one (Louzan), but I would not use that unless you have both a lot of natural light in your house and light walls (otherwise the overall effect would be too dark).

You have been a good sport receiving feedback that you did not expect, and I think your house will be more beautiful now than you imagined (but if you disagree, do whatever you please -- it is your house).

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

I think the Louzan Country would be best. Avoid the first 2. Too golden/yellow. Consider a porcelain tile for entry and bathrooms in neutral tones. Then you can decorate with whatever colors and styles in each area. That meets both goals.

• calidesign
    4 years ago

Based on your floor plan, I would put tile in your mudroom, and keep the hardwoods in your foyer. You can put down a large rug at the front door. But if you feel that's not practical for you, you could use tile in both the foyer and mudroom. No one was saying you had to use hardwood floors everywhere in your house. They were saying not to use different hardwoods in the house. I would use tiles in all your bathrooms, the mudroom, and the laundry room. You can use different tiles in those areas as long as your style stays consistent.

• gr8beauty
    4 years ago

Sondo13 I would keep hardwoods in the foyer... I have a 6ft overhang right outside my front door and I live in VA so we don’t get much snow here... a lot of rain in the spring but not too much snow.

The wood floors in the foyer are in great condition, I bought this house a little over 4 yrs ago and the floors were installed several years before that. I know that I haven’t had any moisture problems. Honestly my only concern is that the foyer is open to the formal living room on the right and the dining room on the left. The formal living room is open opens up to the family room and that wraps around open to the kitchen. The only wall in my first level that separates a room is between the dining room and the kitchen but I am having that removed so everything is going to be open so that is why I don’t want different flooring in the kitchen and foyer. I did consider something like the pictures I attached. Maybe you can use them for inspiration, perhaps You can make it work in your space

• sondo13
    Original Author
    4 years ago

To be honest, we have tried to convince out tiles installer (the one the builder works with) to do something like it was on the first figure. And he just said that blending tiles with wood will cost that much that we will not be able to afford it. He never said how much. Unfortunately we do not have a possibility to use another installer.... But we plan to use these tiles: https://www.juliantile.com/approach hex mixed between decor and solid color. It will be simply cut as on the last picture you posted.

• CindyR
    4 years ago

People with much more knowledge than I have, have given you good advice.

I’m sure your home will be beautiful and full of life and color for you and your family. I look forward to seeing your pictures as you move forward.

• qam999
    4 years ago

The "why" of uniform wood flooring in a typical American house is definitely not for mindless conformity. It is to allow the floor to be a canvas for the major decorative elements - furniture, rugs, and art - without calling attention to transitions from room to room, which can tend to chop up the space visually and make it look smaller and cluttered.

A small number of houses can have varied floor surfaces and have it look good, e.g. if all of the following is true:

* The house is much larger in square footage than typical

* The house has high ceilings (10 ft+)

* Rooms are well delineated with walls and doors such that each different flooring is well closed off from the others

* Each flooring is coordinated with its neighbors as to scale, color (warm vs. cool), mood (formal vs. rustic vs. ??), texture, etc.

* Each flooring change is made with a clear purpose based on a logical factor (this is why tile entryways in a wood floor house look fine - it's logical to have a water-resistance material at the front door, or in a bathroom)

If the ground floor flooring materials are very grand as to formality and large scale - say polished marble slabs - you're right, they should not be used in smaller- scale rooms upstairs. But a beautiful pale oak 5" or 6" plank would look awesome on both floors. The unity of flooring would provide a calm continuity. You can then layer furnishings, rugs, accessories and art of the correct level of coziness or grandeur in various rooms as appropriate.

And that's why we are all giving the same, overwhelmingly good advice.