SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dinner_s

How does soggy soil affect garden production?

dinner_s
4 years ago

This is my third year of planting a vegetable garden in this location in North AL. The soil is very unusual--it holds onto so much water but crumbles into fine sand if a dry clump is smashed with a trowel. It's not typical red clay--it's very dark and playdoh-like when wet, but whitish when dry.

During spring rains, if I dig a hole, water pours into it from the sides like a well filling up. I dug 3 trenches and bucketed out over 100 gallons this spring before connecting the trenches into a river that drained downhill from the garden. The lawn also stays so boggy in places that it's impossible to mow completely with a riding mower until June.

I've also had trouble with production from the veggie plants. They grow slowly and eventually do produce fruit, but it's not abundant. Foliage is there but doesn't seem especially lush. I planted 15 cucumber plants and have had 3 or 4 cucumbers so far this year. One tomato is ripening (it's late July) out of 20+ plants. Even green beans this year, out of probably 8-10 plants, I would get 7 green beans at a time. Potatoes and onions rot in the soil unless I put them just the right place.

The garden does not get full sun for the entire day, but does get pretty direct sun from about 10 am till 2 or 3 pm in midsummer and then some tall oaks filter it after that. I might call it partial shade, but it's not like there's a solid house shadow over it, and the tree branches aren't directly over the garden.

The plants that have done okay are zinnias, bell peppers, jalapenos, okra, mint, and basil. I got a few bok choy plants to grow decently this year. Plants that have done poorly are tomatoes (low yield), radishes (they don't expand into radishes), arugula, spinach, green beans, parsley, cilantro, zucchini. I did start most of these from seed myself. Is there any link between what has done badly that would help me pinpoint a problem?

From what I've said, would you think this is a sun problem or a dirt/drainage problem or a weak-seedling problem? I do use Miracle Gro fertilizer every 3-4 weeks. (When I use it up I'd like to look for something a little more organic.) Last year it seemed to help some, but this year things are just so. slow. (And I feel like the drainage has gotten worse every year.)

I had other issues with my previous garden in typical southeastern red clay, but things are behaving SO differently here that I don't think it's just me being lazy or not taking care!

Thanks for any suggestions you have!

Comments (25)