SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alex_1987

Help! Is my Japanese Maple drowning?!

Alex
4 years ago

looking for some advice here.

We planted this bloodgood last spring. We are in zone 6. The tree was planted in the ground which consists of mostly clay soil. I ensured I planted it slightly above grade as to not bury the graft and to allow for drainage.

This tree did amazingly well last summer considering it was quite hot and dry here. It has been doing well this year to now, but unfortunately last week I noticed a couple of small branches with the leaves still red but curled up and dry.

I did some reading and decided to prune off the bad branches and made sure to disinfect the pruners between cuts.

Today I noticed the same issue on two more branches, and also noticed the tips of some of the leaves look a little strange.

We have had had an unusual amount of rain here and the ground everywhere is quite moist. I checked around the tree and although the soil isn't spongy, it is still quite damp. we are forecast to get some more rain tonight and tomorrow.

I am worried that it may be starting to drown or that it may have verticillium.

I have added some pics of the tree in its state tonight, along with a pic of a branch I removed also. Can anyone give me any advice? thanks!

Comments (10)