SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jyl_gw

New Freezer Time

John Liu
4 years ago

Sigh. Appliance longevity isn't what it used to be. I was reminded of that today when SWMBO called and informed me the freezer in the basement was making a loud noise. By the time I got home, much of the stuff was defrosted. Apparently the freezer has been unwell for a while.

Service is also not what it used to be. Home Depot can't deliver a suitable freezer until a week out and they don't even have it in stock, assuming I owned a pickup truck or could tie a freezer to the roof of a Porsche. Neither can local appliance store A. Local appliance store B put me on infinite hold three times and I didn't bother calling a fourth time. Local appliance store C only has "freezer columns" that look like objets d'art and cost more than a used car. No, Amazon doesn't have next day delivery of freezers (yet).

So, we are bringing some salvageable stuff to a friend's freezer and I will throw the rest out and contemplate my next freezer purchase at my leisure.

So, what to buy? My actively expiring, 16 year old freezer is a 32" wide, 28" deep, upright model which I guess is about 18 cu ft. I don't have room for a chest type nor a much wider upright. The basement is a tough enough spot to wrestle a freezer into/out of that I'd really like my next freezer to last many decades.

I went to a commercial supply place and checked out the TurboAire 19 cu ft freezer. It looks great. It costs $1,850. About 2.5X a cheapish consumer freezer of the same size. I have a commercial True tefrigerator in the kitchen, it has been a roaring success - defined as, I love it. SWMBO did not. But after I added full extension heavy duty drawer slides and acrylic trays in place of the standard wire shelves, she tolerates it. So I could do that to the freezer. We'd be talking over $2,000 by then.

Or I could get a standard consumer freezer, by Frigidaire, Whirlpool, GE, Samsung, etc for about $800. Will that last 20+ years? Which brands or models do we like? Are any still US-made?

All suggestions welcome!

Comments (19)