Wrapping a cake for transport

plllog

Yes, this is another Princess cake question. I'm planning how I can get the cake home with my friend, which is a distance, with the least amount of damage. Yeah, marzipan helps. I have big Wilton plastic cake carriers, but the plate slides around, so I wasted an hour looking for something smaller on Amazon. They were all too short, too expensive, too ugly, or turquoise. I cannot put a green cake in a turquoise carrier. My eye is offended by the thought. Then I found it! A bright green with a white-ish top for less than the raspberries will cost. Went to order it. Won't arrive until after the date.

So. I was wondering how to keep the cake from sliding around and thought maybe using a board bigger than the cake was key. I have to get the carrier down and measure. I have some of those fancy gold scalloped cake boards, but the biggest is 10". I think they make 12". I don't want an ugly white cardboard one if it's going to show. I have to check the surface of the gold ones, however, and make sure there'll be enough friction to keep the cake from sliding.

My plan is to put a bunch of newsprint in a cardboard box and containers of frozen water (ice) in ziplocks to keep it from being too drippy. Or by gel packs. So a carrier is key to the cake not getting wet as well.

Can I glue the cake board to the carrier with royal icing or something like that? I don't want to glue the cake to the board and make it nasty to serve. And I don't want the cream to warm up and slide all over the place... Thank goodness this is topped with marzipan, not buttercream. :)

Thoughts? Suggestions? Hints? Tips?

SaveComment14Like
Comments (14)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
plllog

The carrier base is 12". My cake pans are probably metric because they're between 8" and 9".

Save    
colleenoz

One of those thin rubbery potholder sized things you get to help open jars (used to get them as a prize at Tupperware parties back in the day) or something similar would stop the plate sliding around. Or lining maybe lining the bottom with thin flat gel packs in an even row.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by plllog
bragu_DSM 5

a pie carrier or dish towels? or concoct something with large rubber bands. or put your cake bottom in the freezer with some water => ice to make a mold with a large zip bag (put your cake pan on top with some weights to form the mold) ... or just get some foam ... or a Childs car seat ...

mama invention will speak if'n ya listen

Save    
maddielee

If you place a piece of thin sheet sponge (like a cut up yoga mat or one of those garden kneeling pads, or 1” foam from the fabric store) under your cake board, the cake won’t move and the little extra padding does help cushion your cake during transport.

1 Like Save     Thanked by plllog
dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m

A strange method:

1. Get a foam board about 1/2 inch thick. Cut the foam board bigger than the size of the cake. .

3. Put the cake on the foam board and push toothpicks through the foam board into the bottom of the cake. Do this with many toothpicks.

4. Now carefully lower the cake into a box. You are ready now to transport the cake. The cake will not move around inside the box.

5, When you are ready to serve, just remove the foam board with the toothpick from the bottom of the cake.

dcarch

3 Likes Save     Thanked by plllog
chloebud

I can see dcarch's suggestion working really well.

I can also see colleen's rubber potholder gizmos working. Another thought might be those non-skid sheets/pads for rugs that you can cut to size. They come in pretty small sizes...the last one I bought was 2' x 3'.

Would be interested in what you end up doing, plllog.

Save     Thanked by plllog
bragu_DSM 5

or buy an el cheapo styrofoam cooler and cut one of the walls to fit the cake pan and the inside of your box ...

or god forbid, call a bakeshop and ask how they would transport it ....

CA Kate z9

Quake Wax on the bottom plate?

chloebud

I've always wondered how they ship really expensive decorated cakes. There's always the risk at some point of mishandling no matter how they're packed. I remember seeing delicate flower pot cakes similar to this one online for ordering. Crazy expensive to begin with even without the shipping cost. How do they keep the entire cake from touching something inside the packing?

Save    
plllog

So, Dcarch's idea sounds intriguing. It sounds very secure, but I don't know how to do it without compromising the integrity of this very delicate cake. There's marzipan covering it, but that's all that holds it together.

Earthquake putty would definately hold the bard in place. Good idea! I'll try the rubber/silicone first just so they can remove it from the carrier. I wonder if glue dots would be the thing. Like the quake wax, but a long knife could separate them.

I tried reading pro's comments on message boards, but they're very laissez faire about it. A few try to cool down their vehicles first, bit most toss the cake in and go, and say the a/c is for their own comfort and yeah, sometimes the cakes sweat.

There's a new kind of carrier for tall tiered cakes that has a snap together tall box with insulated cover, like what they use for food delivery. It's too tall and too expensive, and I think it might look reassuring to the clients more than spomething special. Luckily my friend doesn't need a fancy presentation disply, so the cardboard carton outside is fine. Or we could put my medium ice chest on its tummy and slide the cake and ice blocks in. That would be more fuss, but could work well. It's particularly well insulated for a standard cooler.

I'll have to do some more experiments... i have time.

Save    
plllog

Chloebud, I don't know what they do, but my father used to make carrying cases out of plywood for small art objects with lots of delicate parts. They still were better off rightside up, but could survive being mishandled. I would do something similar out of high grade corrugated board. Make a box the exact size with a sloped, fittded base and collars at the crease snd top of the pot part. An air filled bag over the flowers. They probably put extra gum or something in the flowers to make them stronger, or maybe they're marzipan. I'll see if I can find out what the do. Thanks!

Save    
chloebud

plllog, that sounds like it would work as long as the container's kept upright and not jostled. I was just looking at Wms. Sonoma's site for their fancy cakes. Yikes...you can easily pay $90-$149 for fairly small layer cakes...like 6" and 8". I noticed the statement below regarding shipping perishable items. Tells me it's to mean shipping is $$$. We have a specialty cake supply store about a mile from home that's been here 30+ years. One of these days I might just ask them about shipping.

"Some perishable items incur an additional charge to guarantee perfect arrival. This might include specially insulated shippers and ice-gel packs to keep items cool until arrival."

Save    
plllog

Uh huh.

Thanks for all the info. That's actually useful. As in better to call a a bakery within delivery distance. :) Or learn to sculpt, :)

I'm actually more interested in food safety than perfection, though if the cake isn't knocked around that would be better. It occurred to me that the same friend was talking about getting a Yeti. So I'll ask her if I can borrow it. :)

The more investigating I do, however, the more I think it'll be fine if I just put it in a plastic bakery box in a cooler with some ice blocks. The coolers are so much better insulated now even if they're not roto-whatsit.

1 Like Save    
chloebud

My guess is you'll be fine with the box, cooler and ice.

Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Gift Wrapping Ideas A Fresh and Fun Hanukkah Dessert Table and Wrapping Station
Celebrate the Festival of Lights with gelt pouches, homemade snacks and wrapping supplies as pretty as any party decor
Full Story
Studios and Workshops Gift Stations Have Style Wrapped Up
Put the perfect finish on presents with a wrapping area that keeps paper, ribbon and tissue in their places
Full Story
Product Picks Guest Picks: Cake Stands Worth Drooling Over
Dessert won’t be the only delicious-looking sight on the table when you set out one of these footed cake plates
Full Story
Established in 2002, DSA Master Crafted Doors inspires homeowners, designers, and builders. Our doors are crafted... Read More
We are a unique company built on a solid background of design and construction. With a young and driven team,... Read More