SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

Wrapping a cake for transport

plllog
4 years ago

Yes, this is another Princess cake question. I'm planning how I can get the cake home with my friend, which is a distance, with the least amount of damage. Yeah, marzipan helps. I have big Wilton plastic cake carriers, but the plate slides around, so I wasted an hour looking for something smaller on Amazon. They were all too short, too expensive, too ugly, or turquoise. I cannot put a green cake in a turquoise carrier. My eye is offended by the thought. Then I found it! A bright green with a white-ish top for less than the raspberries will cost. Went to order it. Won't arrive until after the date.

So. I was wondering how to keep the cake from sliding around and thought maybe using a board bigger than the cake was key. I have to get the carrier down and measure. I have some of those fancy gold scalloped cake boards, but the biggest is 10". I think they make 12". I don't want an ugly white cardboard one if it's going to show. I have to check the surface of the gold ones, however, and make sure there'll be enough friction to keep the cake from sliding.

My plan is to put a bunch of newsprint in a cardboard box and containers of frozen water (ice) in ziplocks to keep it from being too drippy. Or by gel packs. So a carrier is key to the cake not getting wet as well.

Can I glue the cake board to the carrier with royal icing or something like that? I don't want to glue the cake to the board and make it nasty to serve. And I don't want the cream to warm up and slide all over the place... Thank goodness this is topped with marzipan, not buttercream. :)

Thoughts? Suggestions? Hints? Tips?

Comments (14)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH