Ball Jars Clean Break

John Liu

I had two glass Ball jars of stock in the refrigerator. I decided to reheat them, to prolong their "shelf life".

The stock is jellied when cold so it won't pour out from the jar into a pot. So I placed the jars in a pot full of hot tap water, with their plastic screw lids on very loosely to allow expansion, then simmered that pot on the range for about 40 min. When I lifted jar #1 from the water bath, all the stock emptied into the pot of water from the bottom of the jar, which was missing. The same thing happened when I lifted jar #2. I fished the jar bottoms from the water and stock. Each is cleanly separated from the rest of the jar, and fits back on so precisely is hard to see they are now separate pieces.

I'm now boiling the pot that is full of water and stock. I figure I can reduce it to a stock concentration, although I may take it further to something even more concentrated and pour it into a ice cube tray. Then I'll strain it in case any glass is present, although I'm pretty sure it would be at most microscopic. The breaks were so perfect and clean.

Why did this happen?

P.S.: I keep this stock to drink. I have a theory that drinking a glass of broth or stock is good for you. And (sssh) it goes well with vodka. Ice cubes would be easy to dose into a glass, then microwave to liquid, add a little celery salt, and there is your Bullshot.

SaveComment10Like
Comments (10)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Save    
lindac92

Sitting a glass jar on the bottom of a pot, even full of water....90% chance the glass will break. Do you really need an explanation of un equal expansion,...yadda....coefficient of...yadda...?

Let's just say, always put a rack or at least several thickness of folded towel in the bottom of the pot before you heat glass over direct heat.

2 Likes Save    
Chessie

" Do you really need an explanation of un equal expansion,...yadda....coefficient of...yadda...?"

LOL! Exactly. I thought it was common knowledge to not do it, but clearly it isn't - so I provided the science. :-)

Save    
John Liu

The stock + water is now just stock again. If I strain it through coffee filters, do you think any worries about errant glass will be addressed?

Save    
bragu_DSM 5

depends upon if it is to be consumed by others other than you. I would not risk it with others, but I would probably risk it (skimming the top and using only the top part) if it is particularly excellent und un re-creatable ... but that is just me

Save    
lindac92

Put it through a coffee filter and drink up.....anything that goes through the filter will be so small it won't hurt you....after all you eat blue berries and their seeds don't you? and don't worry about those tiny seeds.

1 Like Save    
leahikesgardenspdx

I agree with Lindac92, think of going to the beach on a windy day, or having a picnic there!

Save    
dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m

I would avoid using the stock.

Broken glass can produce the sharpest edge known to men. As a matter of fact, Obsidian glass surgical knives are being used today to produce the cleanest cuts.

Microscopic glass particles, like asbestos, can have bad health effects. Microscopic glass particle may pass through filters, and may not sink to the bottom of liquids due to molecular Brownian motion.

I agree stock drinking is good for health.

dcarch

Save    
John Liu

You and SWMBO must think alike because she dumped it all down the drain when I wasn't looking :-)

1 Like Save    
annie1992

Well, it's too late now, but for the record, I agree with SWMBO, I'd have dumped it. It was two jars of stock, definitely not risking the consumption of glass particles, no matter how tiny.

I do feel for you, though, having been the unwilling participant in my own "thermal shock" experiences. I get about one a year and it's always something messy. Last year it was Chase's chile sauce, the year before it was sweet and sour chicken. Ugh, what a mess in a big canning pot of water, plus especially the chile sauce is a precious commodity here.

My condolences on the stock.

Annie

1 Like Save    

Related Stories

Cleaning A Fine Mess: How to Have a Clean-Enough Home Over Summer Break
Don't have an 'I'd rather be cleaning' bumper sticker? To keep your home bearably tidy when the kids are around more, try these strategies
Full Story
Houseplants Pet Plant: Could You Love a ‘Marimo’ Moss Ball?
These fuzzy, velvety algae are considered a national treasure in Japan. Here’s how to grow and care for them
Full Story
Cleaning Housekeeping 101: How to Clean Silver
Learn from a pro how to properly clean and care for your precious silverware
Full Story
Storage Garage Cleaning Tips for the Overwhelmed
Don’t let this catch-all space get the better of you. These baby steps can get you started
Full Story
The Polite House The Polite House: On ‘No Shoes’ Rules and Breaking Up With Contractors
Emily Post’s great-great-granddaughter gives us advice on no-shoes policies and how to graciously decline a contractor’s bid
Full Story
Cleaning How to Clean Your Washing Machine
A once-a-month cleaning of your washer will ensure that it stays spick-and-span along with your clothes
Full Story
Most Popular Can-Do Cleaning Strategies for Busy People
While you dream of having a maid (to go with the cook and chauffer), this simplified cleaning routine can keep your real-world home tidy
Full Story
Housekeeping 15 Ways to Design an Easy-Clean Home
By Pangaea
Spend more time doing what you love with these pointers for minimizing cleaning needs throughout the entire house
Full Story
Healthy Home How to Clean Your Fridge, Inside and Out
Keep your refrigerator clean and fresh, while you gain storage space and lose those ‘UFOs’
Full Story