SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jyl_gw

Ball Jars Clean Break

John Liu
4 years ago

I had two glass Ball jars of stock in the refrigerator. I decided to reheat them, to prolong their "shelf life".

The stock is jellied when cold so it won't pour out from the jar into a pot. So I placed the jars in a pot full of hot tap water, with their plastic screw lids on very loosely to allow expansion, then simmered that pot on the range for about 40 min. When I lifted jar #1 from the water bath, all the stock emptied into the pot of water from the bottom of the jar, which was missing. The same thing happened when I lifted jar #2. I fished the jar bottoms from the water and stock. Each is cleanly separated from the rest of the jar, and fits back on so precisely is hard to see they are now separate pieces.

I'm now boiling the pot that is full of water and stock. I figure I can reduce it to a stock concentration, although I may take it further to something even more concentrated and pour it into a ice cube tray. Then I'll strain it in case any glass is present, although I'm pretty sure it would be at most microscopic. The breaks were so perfect and clean.

Why did this happen?

P.S.: I keep this stock to drink. I have a theory that drinking a glass of broth or stock is good for you. And (sssh) it goes well with vodka. Ice cubes would be easy to dose into a glass, then microwave to liquid, add a little celery salt, and there is your Bullshot.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert