SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jeannetteburgess

space planning advice for reading area in bedroom.

jeannetteburgess
4 years ago

I would love some space planning advice for a reading area in my master bedroom and some decor advice also. I have a couple of chairs in this area and a dark rug none of which I care for anymore. I am planning on purchasing a chaise, rug, side table, curtains and lamp(s). I have a small flip top desk (footprint is 14 x 28) which could double on which to place books. When I chose the paint for this room (tony taupe -SW) I was thinking cozy but underestimated how dark the room would be with the dark floor and the adjoining covered porch. It is out of the question to paint so I am trying to lighten the room with more lighting and lighter furniture. The bed is a newly purchased upholstered platform with tufted headboard in ivory. There is also mission style (cherry) tall dresser, smaller chest used as a night stand And another mission piece called a sweater chest which is a narrow piece. Getting new case furniture is also out of the question. So I know I am Fighting the mission furniture but I am hoping there is some way to incorporate all of this into a cohesive whole. We have a dog so I am seriously considering one of the indoor/outdoor rugs from Ballard’s. They have ivory ones that have nice texture and can literally be hosed off to clean. The desk is mission style but I could paint it a fun color. Curtains will be a lighter color is a more sheer fabric as privacy is not an issue. I would like to have a gallery wall of sorts with eclectic original art as I only hang what speaks to us. Question number 1: how would you arrange this space with rug, chaise , table and desk? Question 2: What other suggestions as to fabric types and colors to add lightness to this area. The styles which appeal to me most are transitional and boho.

Comments (5)