SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anon_username

Anybody here own a zoned, modulating variable speed HVAC?

Anon Username
4 years ago

I am looking for experiences with zoned, modulating variable speed HVAC systems. The two that I'm aware of are Carrier Infinity and Trane ComfortLink II. From what I understand, the dampers themselves can modulate so that they can be fully open, fully closed, or partially open, so that just the right amount of air gets to each zone to maintain the setpoint of each zone. Supposedly when matched with a modulating variable speed compressor and air handler, the results are very good.

Can anybody here comment on how well these things work from personal experience? I know installation and ductwork are important. But assuming correct installation and proper ductwork, can these things actually maintain the temperature of a given zone to within 1 degree or so of the setpoint? For instance, if I had 3 zones, and 1 is set to 75*, 1 is set to 77*, and 1 is set to 79*, would one of these zoned systems actually maintain all 3 of those zones to a temperature very close to the actual setpoint? Or do you see a significant amount of temperature variation around each setpoint?

I already have a modulating HVAC (Trane XV18 heat pump), and I'm thinking about having my contractor install zoning. I'm just trying to figure out what my expectations should be if I do. Thanks.

Comments (4)