SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eastbaygeo

HVAC zoning questions

eastbaygeo
17 years ago

I am in the process of getting estimates to have my furnace replaced and I am i interested in installing a zoned system. I would like to have some knowledge on the topic before I make a contractor decision. I have been reading as much as I can about zoned systems, but am still left with some questions.

My house is a 4 story reverse floor plan. The lowest floor (4th down) is one room that is not connected to the heat/cool system; the 3rd floor has three bedrooms and one bath; the second floor down is comprised of living room, dining room, kitchen, family room and is an open floor plan, the 1st floor is the master bedroom suite and the foyer (which is open to the living room below).

Now, here are my questions regarding zoning. I originally thought that a three zone system would work, but now I am concerned about the fact that the foyer opens (overlooks) the living room (which is two stories tall). One of my issues is that the master bedroom is hot during the summer, even when I run the ac. Does it make sense to make he whole floor a zone even when it opens to the floor (zone) below? I can close the Master Bedroom door and make it it's own zone, but it is lacking an air return.

I read somewhere that having small areas in a zoned system to heat and cool is not good for the furnace, that all zones should be about the same size. My 1st floor (even including the foyer) is about 1/2 the size of the other zones. My total square footage is approx 3200 for the 3 zones. Would adding an outside air return help me in any way since I don't have an air return on the one level?

The furnace I have been shown by one of the contractors is a two stage, single speed 5 ton. Does this sound like it will fit my needs or should I be looking at a two stage, variable speed furnace?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments (4)