SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
synthetickiller_gw

Geothermal HVAC in Zone 2?

Synthetickiller
9 years ago

I'll give you guys some background on the home this unit would be installed in before asking any questions.

Info about the house:
1. 5300 sq/ft total
2. 3300 sq/ft 1st floor
3. 2000 sq/ft 2nd floor

Region/environment:
1. Southeast Louisiana
2. Cleared lot (not a tree in sight).

Cost concerns:

I'm not worried about the cost of the system. There's a 60% (local & federal) total tax credit. A $24K system should be $9600 once I get the credit back.

What I'm concerned with is operational cost. My builder has tried to convince me that 3 standard hvac units will probably cover the cooling needs. I don't see how that can be as efficient, considering that average outdoor temp & high humidity here.

What I've been told:

I've spoken to an HVAC guy (my builder will not work with him or anyone but his own guy; seems very typical of builders).

Basically, he said to foam everything & have fresh air intakes. At the same time, install an ERV. He would drill a single 250ft well for each ton I am trying to cool. I was told the water this deep is around 75F-72F This is a closed loop set up.

He figured for insulation & house size, 6 tons (so 6 wells) could actually do that job & not be undersized (that estimate would change once he saw the house, though).

Application concerns:

I've heard horror stories about people here who had their whole homes foamed (including attics) & had nothing but humidity/mold problems.

I was told (by the original hvac installer) that bringing in fresh air & ERVs would solve this issue & eliminate the "living in a plastic bag" feeling as well as eliminate humidity, respectively.

The new builder is not for geothermal, but will install it. He said he can build a room in the attic to house the condenser unit & foam it. That would allow the attic itself to breath & not build up mold as I'd have a lot of ventilation. I have no clue if this is appropriate or not. He'd insulate the roof w/ some type of silver board to help reflect heat.

The bedrooms face west & will be hit with sun for up to 8 hours (from noon on) in the summer. I've considered foaming that wall of the house, which would keep out that heat, but using batting elsewhere. I'm guessing this will allow the house to breath, but spot reduce the main source of heat.

I'm frankly confused about what to do or what direction to go. I keep getting different stories from installers & literature, so I'm having issues finding the reality of geothermal cooling in this region & foaming a house.

Can anyone advise me on what would be an appropriate way to incorporate a goethermal HVAC system in this climate with or without foam (& basically, is foam worth it?) I'm going nuts with hearing extremely different stories from people concerning the tech.

I understand the thermodynamics behind it, but it seems to be very easy to screw up & create huge problems for the home owner if both the HVAC isn't sized correctly & the foam / air flow issue isn't addressed properly.

I want to say thanks, ahead of time, as this forum has helped me significantly with deciding what appliance & other things to incorporate into the home.

This has probably been the most difficult so far & I am reaching out as I feel I could make a mistake by letting the builder decide what is best.

Sorry for the long message, if you've made it this far, thank you again!

Comments (4)