SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shaggyfox44

Old basement coal shoot replace with glass block window

shaggyfox44
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

i have a 1942 brick cape cod with a cinder block foundation. I'm about halfway done re-pointing my basement. The next project i want to tackle is ripping out the old coal shoot and replacing it with a vented glass block window. The other glass blocks in the basement are 31" x 13 1/2" so i got the same size preassembled with a window/vent, but can take it back if necessary if what i have planned shouldn't be attempted and I'll just get smaller DIY blocks.

See attached pictures- It looks like the coal shoot might have been added on after the house was built. A single cinder block is lying horizontal to the coal shoot unlike the rest of the blocks which are verticle. I was wondering if i could remove that block and cut into the brick to size both next to the block and on the outside of the house.

This foundation wall is not load bearing, the floor joists go parallel to this wall and the load bearing beam goes perpendicular from it so there shouldn't be any structure issues with opening this up should there? Or should i just block it in where the opening is? Thanks for the advice!

Comments (7)