California Earthquake

season55

A Magnitude 6.6 earthquake in Ridgecrest, CA. People in LA, Hollywood, Vegas and Arizona felt it. I live in Phoenix, and was working on my computer when I looked up and saw all of our lights swinging. I didn't feel anything, but I saw it. Kinda amazing the aftershock went so far. Thankfully it didn't happen in a super populated area in California so damage is less than the last M6.6 CA earthquake, but people all around CA still felt it. I hope everyone is okay!

SaveComment19Like2
Comments (19)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
schoolhouse_gwagain

Sister-in-law still lives in Victorville (my brother passed). I just called her and she said she and her man an bunch of friends are out on a lake in a pontoon boat and never felt a thing! John drove back to check on the house and everything, including the dogs, are ok. She said they live about 90min.from the epicenter. I forget which lake she said they were on.

1 Like Save    
sheilajoyce_gw

They have downgraded it to a 6.4. House damage and fires at the epicenter, but it is a lightly populated area.

Save    
Fun2BHere

I felt it all the way in south Orange county. It made the house creak. I felt one aftershock as well.

Save    
schoolhouse_gwagain

My sister-in-law didn't seem too worried.

Save    
Chi

Felt it in South OC! One of the bigger ones I've felt here.

Save    
Kathsgrdn

I still remember earth quake drills as a kid in S. CA. Hope everyone is safe.

Save    
desertsteph

schoolhouse_gwagain

'Sister-in-law still lives in Victorville (my brother passed). '

I used to live by there and still have friends there. you don't necessarily feel them if you're on the road, so I 'spect on the water might be like that also. the month we were moving from there we had one and the stacks of boxes swayed, as did the walls. my dd wanted us to go right then! but that was about the extent of what we felt. We always had to be prepared at work just in case. extra water, food, even a change of clothes and shoes (for walking).

'She said they live about 90min.from the epicenter. I forget which lake she said they were on.'

I was wondering how far it was from the VV area. I pulled up maps to see but couldn't really tell if it'd be felt in VV/AV. I'd never been up to the Ridgecrest area but our favorite 50's band was from there I think - Shack, Rattle and Roll. We went there every Friday night they were playing in VV. it was so good to hear that old music live! They were awesome!

I still wire large furniture (bookcases / tall cabinets etc) to the walls even now in AZ.

Save    
murraysmom Zone 6a OH

A friend in Yucca Valley, about 125 miles from Ridgecrest was on line when it hit and she was remarking about it, not knowing the problems that came of it. Amazing!

Save    
vicsgirl

I just saw on TV, (it's Friday morning, the day after), and the aftershocks may be continuing and may be stronger than the original quake. Stay safe, everyone.

Save    
quasifish

We rolled pretty good, even though we are a ways from the epicenter. Always disconcerting to stand in a doorway and watch the house tremble and physically move. Not my first, and not the worst. Hope it stays calm for a while now.

For our kids under 20, it's the first sizable one they've experienced, so some of the kids were upset, including mine who told me that she had convinced herself that earthquakes were something grown ups made up, like Bigfoot. Fortunately, she was standing next to me when it started, so I was able to put her in the nearest doorway easily. She didn't remember her training when the shaking started, but she is young still and will hopefully remember the next time...

1 Like Save    
nickel_kg

I expect wind to be windy. I expect water to be wet. But I expect the good earth to stay still under my feet! I experienced the 2011 east coast earthquake and hated it! My sympathies to those to sustained damage, and those who were just creeped out by it.

Save    
chisue

Friends have a DS in the risk management business in California. When they moved out there to be near him, he told them, "It is just a matter of time (before a massive quake). It *will* happen." They're all still living around San Francisco, 20 years on.

Save    
socks

The house lifted and then sat back down. No damage, no panic.

Save    
adellabedella_usa

Was there another major earthquake last night or was I just watching a pre-recorded newscast? Dh records the evening news. I'm not sure what I was watching.

Save    
socks

Yes, Friday night in CA. Might have been around 8:30 pm.

1 Like Save    
raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio

Interestingly (to me, at least) there is a dormant volcano cone - not very large - right next to 395 about 25 miles north of Ridgecrest. You can see where the side blew out, and there is a pumice field on both sides of the road. It is visible on Google Earth.

I remember my first earthquake felt in San Diego -- I was standing in the kitchen and felt a wave roll under my feet, from right to left. That one had occurred south of the border somewhere. We had trouble with the drains in that (rental) house ever after.

Save    
maifleur01

I have not turned on the tv but last night it was stated that yesterdays may be a precursor to another larger one, 5-10%, or it may be the last major one. I looked at the USGS and there were 582 quakes in California in the last 24 hours mostly in that area.

Save    
Lars

We're in Cathedral City for the long weekend and I really felt the 7.1 yesterday. Kevin took video of the water sloshing out of the pool and covering our patio.

Save    
Lars

Here's the video of our pool:

I believe this was taken at 8:30 PM, and so it was already dark.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Houzz Tours Houzz Tour: California Couple Expand Their Design Horizons
A designer helps these empty nesters transform a dated ranch house into a rustic-modern oasis
Full Story
Cabins Houzz Tour: California Cabin Ditches the Power Grid
Solar energy powers a modern, expandable vacation house among the trees for a family with two children
Full Story
Transitional Homes Houzz Tour: Bridging Past and Present in a California Craftsman
A Santa Monica bungalow says goodbye to gloominess and hello to a bright new look that mixes modern and traditional
Full Story
We are a landscape architectural design company located in Northern Virginia, specializing in the development of... Read More