SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
schoolhouse_gw

104yr.old film

schoolhouse_gw
14 years ago

A friend sent me this, the following text describes the film, I didn't write it.

"you are there" for a cable car ride in San Francisco"

This 7 min. film was "lost" for many years. It was the first 35mm film ever. It was taken by camera mounted on the front of a cable car.

The number of automobiles is staggering for 1906. Absolutely amazing! The clock tower at the end of Market Street at the Embarcadero wharf is still there. ... How many "street cleaning" people were employed to pick up after the horses? Talk about going green!

This film, originally was thought to be from 1905 until David Kiehn with the Niles Essanay Silent Film Museum figured out exactly when it was shot. From New York trade papers announcing the film showing, to the wet streets from recent heavy rainfall & shadows indicating time of year & actual weather and conditions on historical record, even when the cars were registered (he even knows who owned them and when the plates were issued!).. It was filmed only four days before the Great California Earthquake of April 18th 1906 and shipped by train to NY for processing.

Here is a link that might be useful: 104yr.old film

Comments (12)

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I swear I never heard the soundtrack before, must have had my speakers turned down. Must say, they could have chosen a better song.

• alisande
    14 years ago

That's so interesting! The chaos of the scene, with cars, horses, cyclists, pedestrians going in every direction. And everyone seemingly dressed the same. Everyone in black?

Yeah, they could have done better with the music. The tempo seemed to match the action on the film, but the selection was way too modern.

Thanks for sharing this!

• natesgram
    14 years ago

Thank you for posting this. I did research on a relative and read her accounting of the earthquake. Poor gal had also gone thru the Chicago Fire before moving to San Fransico. So interesting to see how they dressed. Here is another that tells a bit about the video and a movie that was being made.

Here is a link that might be useful: short narrative of video above

• darrah
    14 years ago

Thank you for posting this interesting film. I was born in San Francisco almost 64 years ago. It amazes me how nonchalant everyone is darting in and out of the traffic.

I get back to SF at least once a year and it holds a special place in my heart.

• pattico_gw
    14 years ago

very interesting...thanks for posting.

I've always been drawn to those days....but I wouldn't want to give up my dish washer, ac, cell phone, car w/ ac, ....lol

• kacram
    14 years ago

amazing!
    also amazing that no one got killed! lOL
    OMG that horse and buggy going between the cable cars? lol

• ronm80
    14 years ago

Very interesting! Everyone in the film has on a hat. Can you imagine wearing all those clothes in hot weather and no air conditioning. One thing I noticed was mens clothes have not changed much in all these years. Oh, but womens clothes have. Wonder what that says about women?

• chisue
    14 years ago

Pshaw! That's just 'light traffic'! Similar footage of the era shot in Chicago and NYC make this look like the Wide Open Spaces.

Can you imagine the noise and the smell? The dust and the dirt?

I wonder what happened when a trolley hit someone or something? Was the driver held responsible? (Probably depended on the social status of the injured, eh?)

• nicole__
    14 years ago

I liked the music. :0) Got a kick out of watching. My grandmother was born in the 1800's, owned a grocery store.....must have looked like that. WOW!

• jannie
    14 years ago

Very cool film.

• debo_2006
    14 years ago

I enjoyed that; thanks for sharing. Makes one wonder what it was like to live back then.

• Cherryfizz
    14 years ago

I've posted that youtube on my Facebook wall a few months ago and love watching it. I laugh at the wonky wheels on some of the wagons and vehicles. There is also another youtube of that film that compares what SF looks like today as the film travels down the street.

I love the looks on peoples faces when they turn and see the camera and the kid who plays "chicken" by running in front of the vehicle with the camera.

Anne