SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

Raspberry jam questions

plllog
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I was looking at the GBBS/GBBO recipe for princess cake, which was linked to my princess cake thread. They have a simple recipe for the jam: raspberries and "jam sugar." So I looked up "jam sugar", which seems to be British for "gelling sugar", which seems to be sugar with pectin in it, and some citric acid, as well as other acids/chemicals. It sounds kind of like Bisquik. Sounds easier but, since you can't control the chemicals and proportions, makes it harder to use in the end.

I have pectin and a lemon tree which always has fruit (free lemon juice). I think I have citric acid in the pantry, too, for that matter. And a meat thermometer, candy/fry thermometer, IR with probe thermometer and stirring chocolate thermometer. One has to work for the purpose. The jam is just for a component for the cake, not preserving. Is there a reason why gelling sugar would be better to use? I can't understand why they'd recommend it when everything I've read so far seems to say that it's hard to use, and I don't see why I should store it when a little box of pectin is so small. I'm just worried I'm missing something.

Q: Shouldn't the seeds be strained out at some point? Maybe after boiling so whatever pectin they had has a chance to release?

Q: I do know that it should be a stiff jam for the cake, but isn't that just a little extra pectin?

Q: Or do raspberries even need pectin added?

Q: I know about using some less ripe fruit to get more natural pectin, but if I'm adding pectin, can't I just start with whatever raspberries I find at the store and just use them at the level of ripeness they have (which will be fully ripe)?

Q: Pectin: Mine has been hanging around for awhile. Does it go bad? I can easily get another little box...

Thank-you to all of you who know jam much better than I.

Comments (40)