SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_753769434

Paint color HELP!

Steph Stiss
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I am having some siding replaced and decided to repaint. I am also replacing the shutters. I wanted to freshen it up so I’m wanting to change the color, but every color I have tried seems to clash with my brick color. I was really wanting to do a black shutter with a light colored siding. I’m about ready to throw in the towel and just repaint the same color. Please ignore the flowerbed. That’s on my list too, we have been out of town. *** House pic in comments, I can't get it to upload in the post. Sorry!

Comments (34)

• chloebud
    4 years ago

Don't throw in the towel yet but do post a photo.

• Steph Stiss
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Sorry for some reason it wouldn’t post the picture in the original post.

• chloebud
    4 years ago

Got it! It's a little hard to tell for sure...Is the roof gray or brown? Along with the brick, that will come into play with your siding color choice. A couple thoughts...the shutters aren't working with the trim around the windows. If you keep them, you need to remove the trim and make sure you install shutters that are properly sized. The trim could look nice painted a contrasting color from the siding.

• Steph Stiss
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The roof is gray color. I am wanting to make the shaker? style shutters. I did realize the current ones are too small, we have just never messed with them since we bought the house.

• Steph Stiss
    Original Author
    4 years ago

A few colors we have tried. I feel they clash with the brick. BM revere pewter. SW tin Lizzie (the gray-just because I had a can). And SW Oyster white.

• chloebud
    4 years ago

It's impossible to tell on a computer screen. The whites look too stark on my screen. You can take a close up of your brick and upload it on Sherwin Wms' site. They can "read" the brick and suggest colors. Good that the roof is gray. What color is the mortar in the brick? If it's gray, that could be an option with the gray roof. Make sure you paint any downspouts to match the siding.

https://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/try-on-colors/snap-it

• chloebud
    4 years ago

Maybe look at some shades of sage green with your brick. This is probably darker than you want, but a iighter shade would work, too.

• katinparadise
    4 years ago

Can you take a picture of the whole house? I think you might need a color that blends the cool gray of your roof with the warm tones of your brick. Maybe something like SW Worldly Gray.

I'm in agreement with chloebud that the shutters don't work very well. IMO, a darker color pulled from the brick on the trim would really stand out and give you a lot of interest on the house.

• emmarene9
    4 years ago

What color is your roof?

• lynartist
    4 years ago

It’s hard to say for sure of course but you may want to try a gray that has some green in it. As your roof is gray and the brick is warm this may bridge the two and complement them.

• Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    4 years ago

The whites you tried are just too white. You need a cream color. I would pull inspiration and guidance from the colors that are already on the brick: it will make your selection and the process much easier. I also like the sage green suggestion above.

Get rid of the shutters and paint the window and door trim a contrasting color.

• Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    4 years ago

The more I see that greenish-gray, the more I like it.

• Sandra Grimsley
    4 years ago

I like the green suggestion.

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

I would eliminate the shutters and paint the wide trim around the windows in a lighter shade of whatever you choose for the siding. If you do German Smear on the brick you'll eliminate a lot of the trouble you're having finding the right paint color. It is a good technique for cottages and you will like it better than the current brick color I'm sure.

Connecticut Estate · More Info

Trimmed to Perfection · More Info

• lynartist
    4 years ago

Actually Sandra just posted SW gray area and I remember using that on a home not so long ago! It doesn’t look it here on the paint sample but it is a great neutral color with a green/ gray hue that just might work. Here’s the house with it .

• Steph Stiss
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you to everyone for the suggestions! I plan on getting more samples to swatch as soon as we finish up replacing the siding on this long weekend! :)

• Steph Stiss
    Original Author
    4 years ago

So everyone things we shouldn’t replace the shutters with new wood ones? Just eliminate them all together?

• tfitz1006
    4 years ago

I think your house would look better without the shutters. I love the green ideas for the color.

• lynartist
    4 years ago

Yup;)!

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

With that wide trim around the windows you certainly don't need shutters. Look at this before and after. They're wanting shutters too, but that would be overkill with the big window trim.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5723010/old-to-new-exterior-colonial-face-lift

• lynartist
    4 years ago

You already have the nice wide trim! The shutters are just a distraction!

• Sandra Grimsley
    4 years ago

I actually like shutters, but it depends I guess on many other aspects of the style and look you are wanting to achieve and the paint combinations. Can you post a picture of your full house from the street?

• chloebud
    4 years ago

Steph, you should take a closeup of the brick and upload it to the Sherwin Wms link I posted. It might be helpful. I'd do it for you but am having computer problems. Or, maybe someone else here could do it, but a closer pic of the brick would help.

• Steph Stiss
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Here is the full pic of the house someone requested.

• Steph Stiss
    Original Author
    4 years ago

This is the porch area

• Steph Stiss
    Original Author
    4 years ago

And I am planning on replacing the door and redoing the porch paint.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 years ago

Here are three colors pulled from your bricks. You are selecting paints that are far too white IMO.

• Sandra Grimsley
    4 years ago

I think my biggest issue is that currently everything is painted the same color. I actually think the color you have is a good match for your brick, however, I think you need to paint your window trim and soffit trim a lighter softer cream color, not white. I am not opposed to the shutters, if you decreased the width of your window trim and increased the length of the shutter. To change things up use a panel shutter instead of a louver. And then you have the garage doors that I assume you will be painting? My other suggestion is that your door gets lost being inside the porch area. You can paint it a different color than the shutters, if you keep them. I would
    not keep it black. Painting the trim a different color will make the door stand out more. And I know some people cringe when I suggest this, but, you can always paint the brick too!

• chloebud
    4 years ago

Really liking Beverly's first two options with your brick.

• Sandra Grimsley
    4 years ago

I like the second option of Beverly’s suggestions. It has more of a yellow tint to me, which I see in the brick. Choosing paint colors is one of the hardest decisions for me, especially trying to match something. Good luck!

• Steph Stiss
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Beverly do you know what colors those were? Thank you!

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 years ago

Here is what the SW Chip It app says the colors might be.

• lynartist
    4 years ago

Just make sure you don’t forget about the Gray roof!