SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tmnca

venting bathroom exhaust fan

Tmnca
4 years ago

Our house was built 1963 and the original bathroom exhaust fan was 6” straight shot up through roof. We had a new roof done less than 2 years ago and they put a new vent cap on but there was no flue inside and we definitely felt outside air from the vent. The fan was very loud and rusted too so we bought a replacement broan fan (model below - pretty standard square side vented model) installed by the HVAC company who was replacing our attic insulation and sealing up attic.

I expected them to place an elbow and adapters to connect the new fan to the existing larger roof vent but instead they ran a 4” flex hose to our eave vent and just stuck it up against the rodent guard. About a 10’ horizontal run.

So I contacted them and asked if that hose I see through vent is the bathroom exhaust and they said they will “fix” it when they return to finish the other stuff they are working on.

So my question is - is there any reason other than laziness that they would have done this? A longer horizontal run seems inferior but I know vertical vents can have rain blow in and condensation drip down into ceiling.

When they return to fix what should I be checking for when I go up to look in the attic?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/NuTone-Roomside-Series-80-CFM-Ceiling-Bathroom-Exhaust-Fan-with-CleanCover-ENERGY-STAR-AERN80K/307749054

Comments (2)