SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
texas_gem

Do you have a beauty regimen?

Texas_Gem
4 years ago

Sometimes it seems like I'm the only person who doesn't.
I don't wear makeup, I don't apply creams and lotions to my face to ward off aging, I don't color or manicure my hair with blow-dryers, curling irons, etc.
I don't even look at my face in a mirror generally unless I'm flossing, dealing with contacts, etc.
I will get up, get dressed, look in the mirror to make sure my clothes look okay and then walk away.
Is this weird... because I feel like it may be weird.
Every other female I know seems to have some varying degree of obsessing about her hair, face, makeup, skin, etc.
I just don't care and never have about "beautifying" myself.
Am I the only one?

Comments (47)

• maifleur01
    4 years ago

My use of moisturizers has nothing to do with trying to look good. If I do not apply them my face feels dry and itchy even though there are no patches of dry skin or anything like that.

Only weird thing about your comment is that you apparently think women all obsess about their looks. While some do the majority do what pleases them and only for that reason.

Texas_Gem thanked maifleur01
  • PRO
    Anglophilia
    4 years ago

Regime? No. I get up, take my zillion meds, put on some face cream, draw on eyebrows if I’m going to any social occasion (but no longer daily), get dressed and comb and spray my hair (baby fine hair - need product to keep it looking respectable). Put on jewelry I wear daily, grab porta oxygen, and the dog and I head downstairs. After breakfast, I brush my teeth in downstairs bath and put on lipstick. I aim for well-groomed and respectable.

Texas_Gem thanked Anglophilia
  • Related Discussions

Is my gardening regimen considered organic?

Q

Comments (12)
    kimmsr: Firstly, I don't spray broad spectrum organic pesticides "willy nilly." It's too damn expensive. Secondly, the only pesticide that I've sprayed as a preventative was the BT last year as an experiment. And it worked. I didn't have any hornworms all season on my tomatoes and peppers. The reason why I tried it like this last year is because, without fail, they're nailing one or both of those veggies EVERY year and I read that BT is ineffective when the worms grow large and it's damn near impossible to find them in a fully grown tomato plant, large or small. The worms were present last year because I found a couple on my ghost pepper plant in a container in the FRONT yard that didn't get the attention as the plants in the back yard as mentioned above. Thirdly, I don't consider BT a broad spectrum at all. It targets only butterfly/moth larvae and it kills them when they ingest the foliage of sprayed plants. Anyhow. Thanks. Kevin
    ...See More

Do you have this beautiful flower?

Q

Comments (9)
    If it grows in the Himalayas it probably isn't going to grow very well in almost all of the USA (possible exception of Alaska since I don't know enough about that climate). There's a famous blue poppy that grows in the Himalayas that has a reputation for being very difficult to grow here. That Himalayan climate is very different from the climates of nearly all of the United States. It's both a climate with a cold winter and also a climate with a monsoon, and that combination is not found in this country to the best of my knowledge.
    ...See More

What is your watering regimen? We all lean...

Q

Comments (14)
    I pay close attention to a plant's soil, light & water requirements and try to plant things where they'll get what they need to thrive. Acknowledged water hogs (i.e., hydrangea, astilbe) get supplemental water during severe dry spells but I water using recycled gallon or larger jugs that I set close to the crown of the plant & fill with water. I poke a pinhole an inch from the bottom of the jug & the water slowly spills out and deep waters the soil close to the plant's base. The inch of water remaining in the jugs keeps them from being blown around by the wind. It's simple, inexpensive and efficient + I know how much water each plant gets which eliminates over- or under-watering. Depending on circumstances, I've also experimented by planting things that are known to require consistently moist soil and just observed to see how they'd do playing in the same sandbox with other things. Japanese iris is doing exceptionally well growing alongside Shasta daisies, lobelia, globeflower & sedum. It's been my experience that just because something is known to prefer certain soil conditions doesn't necessarily mean it won't thrive in a less-than-ideal location.
    ...See More

What Do You Have Too Much Of, & Why Do You Have It?

Q

Comments (89)
    So many people with issues with parents...sad. I was loved, I had toys and gifts,dresses, dolls, books, sport stuff, games,I lacked for nothing . But as I got older, I think I tried to "recapture" my childhood. As an adult, I loved antique shows, flea markets, garage sales. Any time I saw something we had in our house growing up, I had to buy it. I even bought too many rose bushes and planted them in my garden, trying to re-create my Grandma's rose garden. I now have a linen closet stacked with doilies and tablecloths I'll never use, sets of fancy glasses too fragile to use, things like that. Oh, and on the funny side, my daughter cleaned out my bathroom just yesterday. She found eleven bottles of Listerine. I don't know, I hate the stuff, it burns... I remember buying one bottle because it did everything, whitens teeth, freshens breath, makes gums healthy, strengthens the enamel. I'm just always looking for something to make me happy.
    ...See More
  • DawnInCal
    4 years ago

After my morning shower, I moisturize my face and body while I'm still damp from the shower. I then apply sun screen to my face, neck and hands. After that, I get dressed.

If I'm staying home, I let my hair dry naturally. Left to it's own devices, it's quite curly with a couple of rebellious cowlicks. If I'm going out, I take a blow dryer and a styling brush to it to tame it down a bit. It's still wavy/curly, but not so out of control.

As far as makeup goes, I don't wear any if I'm not going out except for mascara. My eyes just look so naked without a hint of eyelashes. If I'm going out, I put in a bit more effort.

I don't get manicures or pedis, although I do take good care of my feet at home. My toenails are polished as I love having fun with all the colors that are available. My fingernails are natural; nail polish doesn't hold up to the work I ask of my hands.

I work out every morning for 40 - 60 minutes. It feels good to feel flexible, strong and like I'm doing something good for my body and my health.

If I have one indulgence, it's clothes and shoes, but that's just because I really enjoy putting a nice look together, although I wouldn't call myself a fashion expert. I don't keep up with that stuff; I just know what I like.

I don't think I obsess over my looks, but I do feel good when I've put out the effort to look and be my best.

Texas_Gem thanked DawnInCal
  • aok27502
    4 years ago

Texas, mine routine is exactly like yours, except I do put a sunscreen moisturizer on my face and neck because i work outside. (Don't be alarmed, the rest of me is covered,) I do wear a little eyeshadow when I get dressed up, but that isn't often.

Texas_Gem thanked aok27502
  • marilyn_c
    4 years ago

Very much like you, Texas Gem. I used to be better about it...for instance, I wouldn't go to the barn if I wasn't wearing make up, but back then I raised horses and my barn was by the road, and people stopped by daily. Now if I put on lipstick and mascara, I feel like I have on clown make up. I keep my hair short. It is gray. I only colored it once in my life....I grayed very early. Too much trouble and my hair is very white around my face. I wash it, and let it go. I would never use a curling iron or blow dryer. Don't own those things. Don't do my nails, except cutting them fingertip length with scissors.

I haven't washed my face with soap since I was a child....cold cream and water. I have tinted moisturizer that I bought because my friend uses it and her skin tones are nice and even, but I never think to use it. I am out in the sun several hours a day....wrinkles, yes, and they were hard to accept at first, but I am used to them now, and it's okay.

I don't begrudge anyone wanting to look nice and taking good care of themselves. I am healthy...take no medicine...not overweight...and the rest of the stuff just has no interest to me any more. If I don't look in the mirror, I feel like I am about 12 years old. So, I avoid mirrors. I was pretty when I was young. That was nice. I think it makes life easier. I don't like fighting a losing battle...so I don't fight it any more.

Texas_Gem thanked marilyn_c
  • User
    4 years ago

I shower. I put Nivea on my face. I comb my hair, give it a few shakes and go to work. Sometimes I'll blow dry my hair. Rarely I'll straighten it. I have a ton of makeup but am too lazy to put it on.

Texas_Gem thanked User
  • rob333 (zone 7b)
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I like color. Lots of color! So yes, I do wear makeup. Mostly eye makeup. After washing my face, I put on a dab of rouge, and then go at it with the eyes. There is always mascara (not on Saturdays) and even an eye liner here and there. But really, that's it. I don't put any lotions on my body or face. Because I cleanse with oils? But I don't need it. I do blowdry my hair on Sundays and roll it. Workdays, it only gets brushed. I spray my bangs to keep them out of my eyes.

Texas_Gem thanked rob333 (zone 7b)
  • rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    4 years ago

Obsess? That word has very negative connotations. That you never look at your face in the mirror is telling. Surely there is a middle territory where those of us who spend a bit of time on our appearance aren't considered obsessive.

I've been using the same soap since I was a child. Dove beauty bar was recommended to my mother by her doctor to preserve her beautiful skin and she began using it on me when I was a little girl.

I apply sun screen as my only daily regimen, five minutes of makeup (grocery store purchase), and a very simple hair routine, thanks to a great hair cut. My winter and nighttime moisturizer is coconut oil.

When I look at myself in the mirror, I smile. I like her!

Texas_Gem thanked rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
  • georgysmom2
    4 years ago

Don't obsess, but when I go out, even to the grocery store, I always have make up on, hair fixed and sprayed. I've been told I always look "put together".

When just staying at home,, the first thing I do before leaving the bedroom is put on moisturizer and brush my hair. Anymore, it can take me a couple of hours before I get dressed. Like to laze around, watch news and play on computer in the morning if I don't have anything scheduled for the day.

Texas_Gem thanked georgysmom2
  • OutsidePlaying
    4 years ago

I agree with rhizo re using the word obsess. I take time to moisturize pretty much from head to toe after my shower and have for many years, I would say since my 30’s. At 70 I think it has paid off.

I use sunscreen when working outside and wear a hat, and I use a tinted moisturizer with spf if I am going somewhere. I also use mascara (my lashes are pale and fine) and a bit of blush and some nude shadow for daytime if I feel like it. Depends on what I’m doing and where I am going. I discussed my facial moisturizers in the other thread. It works for me.

I blow dry my fine straight hair which is simple and takes 5 minutes, also because of a good cut. No color. I get a pedicure once a month which yes, is an indulgence, but I hate doing my toes myself and it doesn’t take any longer to have them done than it does to do it myself. I hardly ever polish my fingernails but they look good to me as is.

Texas_Gem thanked OutsidePlaying
  • blfenton
    4 years ago

You seem to assume that those who do use face creams and wash their faces are" obsessive about "beautifying" themselves. That's unfortunate.

I've had skin cancer and so yes I am obsessive about always wearing face creams and a cream foundation that has SPF in it. Why the foundation? To protect the scarring from the skin cancer removal.

As I said - Your assumption about why women do what they do is unfortunate.

ETA - My mom has/had the same attitude as the OP but unfortunately for her she had four daughters and we all at some point and three of them still do, wear make-up. She hated it.

An interesting but poignant story. As some of you know my mom has severe Dementia and is in a memory care facility. One of the last communicative senses to go for Dementia patients is touch. They enjoy the feeling of being touched and so the care facility does manicures and pedicures for them which includes hand and foot massages and nailpolish. The whole experience is very soothing for them.

And you should see my mom showing off her brightly coloured polished finger nails which are all the better if they have sparkles on them She would never have had a manicure in her before life.

Texas_Gem thanked blfenton
  • amylou321
    4 years ago

I get what you are saying texas gem. Everywhere around you there is a new beauty product or procedure aimed solely at women. It does seem that some women are obsessed. For so long we were taught that our appearance was our main asset and we have to fight to maintain it.

I do not wear makeup at all. I really don't understand why it so popular. Most makeups just cake up around the so called "flaws" and call more attention to them. To me, makeup just makes someones face look dirty. But to each their own. A lot of women just like to have fun with makeup and change their look up a little bit. Not me. But again, to each her own. I am grateful I have an SO who doesn't like that kind of stuff on me. A lot of women I have known in the past would stress over keeping up certain things for their SOs. One woman told me her husband was adamant that she always have a full face of makeup,including those RIDICULOUS false eyelashes, earrings, long acrylic french nails,and either a wig or a weave every time they left the house. Even if it was just to go grocery shopping. He was disgusted when she wanted to wear her natural hair. Yeah, that marriage didn't last.

I will use sunscreen,as well as wear my big pink "sun hat" if I know I will be out in the sun for an extended period of time because I burn easily. But I mostly skip it because most of the time I spend outdoors is in the dark.

I wash my face and put a light lotion on my face daily year round because otherwise it dries out and is uncomfortable. During the colder,dryer months I use body lotion right out of the shower. I wash my hair daily. I only blow dry it on days I work, and that is more for speed than any sort of aesthetic, as my hair is very fine and wont hold any sort of style without hair spray,which I hate and do not use. On my off days, I shampoo and condition and let it air dry. I do highlight mine. I get the roots touched up and the ends cut every 5 or 6 months. My natural hair color is light enough that I can go that long without a touch up and it doesn't have that horrid hombre look.

Oh and I paint my toenails for fun. That's the extent of my beautification ritual. I have had one pedicure in my life for a bridemaids party type thing. It was awful. I am WAY too ticklish to enjoy something like that. And I got a rash on both feet. As did the rest of the bridal party.

I do walk for exercise between 90 minutes and 2 and a half hours daily. I do not know if that counts as a beauty ritual. I am trying to lose weight and tone up. But I mainly do it for overall health and better sleep.

Texas_Gem thanked amylou321
  • Rusty
    4 years ago

My skin has become very dry as I've aged, so I use lotions fairly often. The dryness is uncomfortable, and using a lotion just makes me feel better. My hair is gray now, and not a pretty gray like some people are blessed with, but I don't use any coloring on it, never have, why start now? I do use some spray to keep it in place. It is VERY thin and fine! My scalp shows through in a number of places. Left to its own devices it would easily qualify as 'fly-away' hair.

I don't use any makeup on days I am home all day, which is most days anymore. I do use a bit of mascara and eyebrow pencil when I go anywhere. I've always been very blond, and my eyebrows are practically nonexistent, I feel like I look weird if I don't add just a bit of color to my eyes. I haven't worn lipstick in more years than I care to count.

I don't think you are weird at all, you are comfortable in your own skin, and that is something many women need varying degrees of 'help' to accomplish.

Rusty

Texas_Gem thanked Rusty
  • marilyn_c
    4 years ago

When I look at myself in the mirror, I smile too. I have nice teeth. They cost a lot of money.

Texas_Gem thanked marilyn_c
  • matti5
    4 years ago

I've always had a simple routine, would have never considered it to be "obsessive". I use a light foundation with SPF to tone down the redness from rosacea, mascara and aquafor for lips. Special occasions I will add eyeliner, eyeshadow and lipstick. I use a flat iron daily, but that only takes 5 minutes.

Texas_Gem thanked matti5
  • two25acres
    4 years ago

I keep it very simple, when going to the office I do wear light make up - shadow and blush only. I can't stand having mascara on my lashes. Everyday whether working or not shower, suave mousse and air dry. Wash face with Aveno soap, a oil/lavender essential oil as a base with make up/with out. At the end of the day wash face again and apply oil/frankincense essential oil. Never use a hair dryer, no colors, etc. Keep the hair to 1.5 inches on top and half inch all around and up and over the ears. It's silver with a bit of black at the nape of the neck. No perfumes. This time of year I use a blend of rosemary, peppermint, lavender and lemongrass as a bug repellant, the smell is very refreshing. Keeps the bugs away and has a pleasant non offensive smell.

Texas_Gem thanked two25acres
  • Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    4 years ago

I wash my face at night, apply moisturizer around eyes and all over face and neck. I use face cream on my hands. In the morning, rinse face apply moisturizer with sunscreen to hands and face. Mascara, cream blush, tinted lip balm are my usual makeup. I add eyeliner and shadow, lip liner and powder if I am getting gussied up. Always wear perfume. I have curly hair. I let that dry naturally with some curl cream to keep it from frizzing. Monthly pedicures and manicures from time to time, at least monthly. As for staying beautiful, that's a head game, not a beauty routine. Pretty is as pretty does, indeed. The rest is just the level of grooming I need to feel pulled together. Otherwise I feel like an unmade bed.

Texas_Gem thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

I completely get what texas gem is saying and I agree with her. It's unfortunate that the word "obsess" snuck into her comment. That seems to have triggered defensive reactions from many of you while missing her point.

Step back and consider the upshot of what she said. "I don't feel a need to spend a lot of time on my appearance and I do no primping or ritual steps before walking out the door and spending the day". The reaction from many of you was some form of "I don't obsess but first I do this, then that, then I feel itchy if I don't add this, then that, then I feel put together and presentable". Exactly what her point was, she doesn't do that.

Many, many women spend an inordinate amount of time on their appearance and using and applying items they THINK makes them look better, feel better, or adds to their self-confidence. It's undeniable. Texas Gem doesn't, that's the comment she made, and she doesn't understand why so many are so involved with themselves. It's an obsession, what else would you call it?

Texas_Gem thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • rob333 (zone 7b)
    4 years ago

Further point to elmer's, I wondered why men don't go to this extent. Is it really "necessary"? I had to really question my motivation before posting. My answer stands. I do it for my enjoyment/fun. If it's not a health reason (itchiness for example) or for fun, why do it at all? I rather agree with elmer up to the obsession point. I think I might use obligation instead. Merely food for thought.

ETA, after thought: Though, I have seen men getting into the health portion of it more. I appreciate that they're able to buy moisturizers without hangups now.

• amylou321
    4 years ago

I do my main grocery shopping at walmart. There are 4 full aisles dedicated to women's skin products,be it face wash, anti wrinkle creams, or makeup. 4 full aisles. And a back wall with more. So 5. 2 aisles for hair products. That is a large section of real estate in a store. They must be making enough sales in that section to justify it. As a side note to that there is only 1/2 an aisle for fitness equipment. Oh and the men's grooming products such as shaving cream,razors deodorants,share THEIR aisle with women's products of the same description. So,the market knows where the money is coming from,and its not from the fellas.

There is having fun with it,there is needing it for practical health purposes (sunscreen and lotion for dry skin) and there is being unable to step out your front door and be seen without it.

Texas_Gem thanked amylou321
  • kadefol
    4 years ago

I don't really have a regimen. Sunscreen during the day and AHA serum or moisturizer at night. And, occasionally, eye liner and lipstick. I do wear nail polish most of the time, mainly because I used to be a nail biter and keeping them polished keeps me from relapsing.

Texas_Gem thanked kadefol
  • Bookwoman
    4 years ago

I wear some makeup if I'm leaving the house, just a light foundation to even out my skintone, and a sheer lipstick. It takes me less than 5 minutes. If it's the evening, I'll add some eyeliner. No eyeshadow or mascara, which tend to melt right off my face; even in my 60s I still have very oily skin.

I don't color my hair, which is dark brown with lots of silver strands in it - my own personal highlights. I put polish on my toenails in the summer, but don't bother the rest of the year because I won't be wearing sandals. Nothing on my hands, as it would chip right off, and I just like the look of bare nails better on me.

With a little makeup and some earrings I look a lot better than without those things, or at least that's how it seems to me. Some people look terrific with nothing more than moisturizer, and more power to them.

Texas_Gem thanked Bookwoman
  • arkansas girl
    4 years ago

I do need a little bit of makeup so that I don't look tired. I have the sort of eyes that look tired if I don't put a little bit of contour for eyeshadow and a bit of liner to open my eyes up. As I've gotten older, I find myself caring a lot less about wearing makeup though. I used to not leave the house without my hair styled and a full face of makeup. Now I just put my hair into a ponytail, a little bit of concealer to cover my bright red nose and red cheeks and a bit of lipstick that's a my lips but better color. I don't like the feel of lotion on my face but I do put some cream on my face at night before I go to bed as well as on my hands and a lip balm before bed. I cannot go with natural air dried hair because it dries to look like witch hair, the gray hairs are nappy and not wavy at all. There is a huge difference in what I do now, very little, compared to what I used to do when I was young...a full beauty routine.

All that said, I do check to see that I look ok in the mirror before I go somewhere. Put a tad of makeup on and fix my ponytail and spray my hair or it's all frizzy. Put on some clothing that is halfway decent looking. I also do not ever go to the store until I've taken a shower unless it's an emergency. I was at the store today and it is HOT and HUMID today and I walked by so many stinky people it was quite gross!

Texas_Gem thanked arkansas girl
  • katrina_ellen
    4 years ago

I shop at a consignment store where to me most the women there I would say spend a lot of time and money on their appearance, and its not all young people, I would say 75% of the clientele are over 50. In comparison I feel like I just fell off the turnip truck. I do a simple skin care routine,then just a bit of eyeshadow and a bit of liner - that's it. The main thing that concerns me is my teeth, I floss, use a waterpik and of course brush, with an electric toothbrush. I just let my hair air dry, I only get it cut about 2-3 times a year. I am fair skinned so sunscreen is a must.

Texas_Gem thanked katrina_ellen
  • chisue
    4 years ago

I'm 78. I modeled a bit when I was in my early twenties, and that required makeup and hair styling. I consider makeup a time consuming chore and am fully in the 'less is more' camp. Today women can be 'presentable' with very little effort. That doesn't mean NO effort. I don't want to depress people -- including my DH.

I had easy hair that required little help beyond a good cut. Chemo changed that. My hair is now thin and fine. I'm actually using the container of hair spray I bought at least five years ago to use on special occasions. I've colored my hair light brown for years, starting when my complexion faded. A few years ago I polled my DH about no longer coloring my hair. He was adamantly against it.

My skin is now thin. My lashes and eyebrows are disappearing while my chin sprouts bristles. I use brow pencil and mascara every day, not just on occasion. I use lip liner and a sheer lip color to match. On a special occasion I will use a powder foundation and some blush. I'm clean. I'm neat. I hope I look like I care about being female.

Texas_Gem thanked chisue
  • always1stepbehind
    4 years ago

I'm pretty basic when it comes to skin care etc...I don't buy gobs of stuff...BUTTT if I could afford it, I would get treatments and facials etc regulary.

Texas_Gem thanked always1stepbehind
  • Texas_Gem
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Chisue-I'm sure you don't mean it that way but when you say I hope I look like I care about being female that seems to be a jab at people like me who don't focus on our looks.

Why is it that women need to focus on their looks? Why not the substance of the person?

Men don't do this, at least not nearly as often and extensively as women do.

• gigirambles
    4 years ago

"Beauty regimen" to me means whatever you are comfortable with. Some are more comfortable with makeup and complicated hair; some aren't. As long as you feel comfortable and presentable when walking out your front door then whatever you are doing works for you!

Unless you are wearing pajamas while out in public - that is not presentable, in my opinion. ;-)

Texas_Gem thanked gigirambles
  • DawnInCal
    4 years ago

Why does it even matter? Those of us who have a skin care routine/wear make-up/style our hair/wear polish have our reasons for doing so and so do those who choose to do nothing or who take a more minimal path. None of us are hurting the other.

I like to think that the women of the KT are part of a sisterhood who care about each other, but this thread has kind of taken the tone that one school of thought is superior to the other when there really is no right or wrong way. Let's live and let live and be supportive of the choices we all make as long those choices are legal and aren't harming anyone.

• DawnInCal
    4 years ago

P.S. That's a really sweet photo, Marilyn. I think both you and the horse are beautiful!

• Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

"Why is it that women need to focus on their looks? Why not the substance of the person?"

X 1000.

This was the mantra my daughter heard growing up. Work hard to achieve things in your life so that people admire and respect you for you, not for your appearance or other things that don't matter. She liked and followed that advice. My daughter is attractive and presents a neat appearance but she doesn't groom and preen obsessively and is liked and admired for what she's achieved. You'll teach your daughters the same things, texas gem, no doubt. It's valuable guidance.

And why do many women focus on their looks and not on their substance. In my experience (and I have my hard hat on now), many (not all) who do so don't have all that much substance to work with, may be lacking in self confidence, or both and maybe have other issues and so they deal with the easier alternative. Thinking it makes up for the deficits. It doesn't.

Texas_Gem thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • PRO
    Anglophilia
    4 years ago

Oh, Elmer! Most woman like to present their "best self" and do so with good grooming and a bit of help with lipstick and some hair spray. I don't call that "preening obsessively". I assume you DO comb your hair upon exiting the shower and that you either shave or keep a beard tidy? Is that "obsessive"?

Yes, I know women who are fighting aging with every fiber of their being. I hate to break it to them, but they're always going to lose. I read a blog where occasionally the writer will describe her "beauty regime". Geeze! How does she have time to write or shop for what she's writing about? I've never owned that many beauty products in my life!

When I was in retailing school in NYC in the early 1960's, everyone wore full make-up, ie Max Factor cake foundation put on with a damp sponge. We also wore false eyelashes - that was the "style" then. We did have "substance" but when one works in the fashion industry, one must look "fashionable" as well as being confident and smart. It took both and probably still does.

All that came to an end when I got married and moved to Washington DC. I worked at the National War College and all that war paint would have been totally out of place there. So, I used less. Then later, a move back to St Louis and the "baby years". Make-up only when going out. Who had the time? Most women in LA wore a lot of make-up when I lived there in the early 1980's and most were already having plastic surgery in their 30's; I did neither.

I do want to look presentable and "nice". I'm old so I'm not trying to look younger. But I've found that as one ages, good grooming is essential. That means clean hair, clean nails, and a good hair cut and at least 1-2 minutes to get it into place and give it a spray. A bit of lipstick keeps me from looking as if they should have buried me yesterday.

I have a saying about aging: less make-up and bigger, better jewelry. It works for me, and I have plenty of self-confidence and think there is also plenty of substance as well. I just don't want to look as awful as I often feel.

Texas_Gem thanked Anglophilia
  • eld6161
    4 years ago

I think if you are fine doing nothing or very little than that is okay . If you want to do more, that is okay.

I know we should not care about what others think, in in this vain you don't have to care either.

In my 20's and 30's I used very little make up. I have always exercised and focused on being a good weight for my height.

Now I use light make up daily. I have a tinted moisturizer which looks like a light foundation when i want to look more polished.

To me no one here has an "obsessed " regime. To me that means heavy on the make up, hair, nails and clothing.

I am now 65. I still care about my appearance. I do look better when I use under eye cream, eye liner, blush and lipstick. Takes all of five minutes. And, I moisturize. I have my hair colored and cut .

I still care about what others think. As mentioned above, I never liked the "you look tired" comments. First of all rude, but second it's an honest opinion that someone has blurted out.

I also don't understand when the topic is appearance it goes to self confidence and substance. As if a person can't be well put together as well as successful and attractive.

Texas_Gem, you are still very young. I am curious. Do you ever receive compliments? Do you appreciate them if you do? You might be one of the fortunate one that need to do very little now and into the future. For the rest of us, bring on the Lancome!

Texas_Gem thanked eld6161
  • rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    4 years ago

Ah, Texas Gem, it sounds like you are under the assumption that a woman cannot care about her appearance AND be a person of substance. My apologies if that's not how you feel, but it sure comes out that way.

Texas_Gem thanked rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
  • llitm
    4 years ago

At 69 y.o. I continue to love being a female and all that goes with it. It makes me sad to see women in their 50's and older who appear to have given up on their appearance (I'm referring to those who cared at one time but feel it no longer is important because they are now "invisible").

Yep, I do my skincare, hair, makeup and fitness routines on a daily basis and gasp (!) visit med spas on occasion. I love clothes and staying up with trends. If all this makes me shallow, so be it. I don't feel I'm "obsessive" about my appearance but I definitely care. I'm hurting absolutely no one and am a responsible, caring and contributing person who is excited about life.

I absolutely agree there are those who just don't care, nor have they ever, about their appearance. And, that's totally fine.

Texas_Gem thanked llitm
  • Texas_Gem
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I'm sorry if anyone thought I was judging or considering my opinion superior, I truly don't.

I know a great many women who seem to put more effort into their appearance than I do on a daily basis, and that's fine.

The only one I feel sad about is my closest and longest friend. We've been friends since before we went through puberty. She can't leave the house without doing her makeup and hair. Even when she was scheduled for surgery, she got up and did her makeup and hair before leaving the house.

She has self-confidence issues which I find so sad because she is one of the smartest, brightest, most capable people I know with a lucrative career. Definitely someone with "substance."

I don't find myself superior to her, I just wish she had more confidence.

Eld- yes I receive compliments on my looks when I go out of my way to look nicer, i.e. dress up, spend extra time on my hair or wear makeup. I appreciate that people notice that I put extra effort into my appearance. I much prefer compliments based on things I do though, and I don't hold much regard for the compliments from people who only compliment me on my looks but never anything else.

Yes, I do wear makeup on occasion for fun. To "dress up" and that's exactly what I've taught my daughter's makeup is for. Not to make themselves look better or to conform to someone else's standards of "publicly presentable"

I'm not some militant anti-makeup person, I just wish our society didn't seem to have such an emphasis on women's looks.

2 of my girls like to play with makeup and that's fine. They don't get to wear it out of the house yet, one because they are 8 and 10 and two, because they really DO look like clowns!!

I was asking to see if I'm the "weird" one. My mom is like me, probably a good part of the reason I am this way as well but aside from her, basically all the other females I know have some kind of beauty regimen.

• DawnInCal
    4 years ago

I don't think you're weird at all for not wearing makeup or having a beauty routine, Texas_Gem. I have two very close friends. Neither wears makeup. One colors her hair, the other doesn't. I've never seen either wear polish on their nails. Of the two, one is seriously into clothes and the other doesn't much care.

We have great fun together even though all three of us have different levels of personal grooming. They are two of the smartest, kindest and funniest women I know and I hope they think the same of me.

There are all kinds of people out there; we all have different priorities, opinions, interests, likes and dislikes - there's plenty of room for the makeup free and those who like to use it. So, nope, you're not weird at all. :-)

• llitm
    4 years ago

I absolutely agree about what we teach our daughters. I never emphasized appearance to DD (fitness and healthy eating, yes) and her interest level in makeup etc. has always been average. She would rather be out hiking, biking, skiing, etc. I enjoy those things, too, but with makeup applied and wearing cute clothes. ;) IOW, I do it for myself and because I enjoy it, not for any other reasons that I'm aware of.

Texas_Gem thanked llitm
  • Kathsgrdn
    4 years ago

I very rarely wear makeup anymore. Funny thing is when I had lush, long eyelashes, I used to wear mascara a lot if I was going out somewhere in public. Now that my eyelashes have thinned out, I can barely stand to wear it. I guess because i got used to not wearing it much. Same for other types of make up. I do occasionally wear it but not often. Eyeshadows make my eyes look horrible. I think it brings attention to the sagginess of them and wrinkles in them. So, don't usually wear it anymore even when I do wear makeup.

Forgot to answer the original question, no I don't really have a beauty regimen. When I get ready for work if I wash my hair I will blow it dry only because I can't stand to have wet hair on the nap of my neck and clothing. Sometimes I won't dry it completely, just enough so that it's not dripping all over. Moisturizer on the face, sometimes lotion everywhere else, unless I'm running late then I skip it. I also sometimes will put foot cream on, but have gotten lazy over the past 6 months or so and my feet are starting to get dry and rough. I get a pedicure about once a year. I'm overdue for one now. I don't do anything else but get dressed and go to work, after I brush my teeth, of course. No make up...I work in a dark basement answering phones so I really don't care what I look like.

Texas_Gem thanked Kathsgrdn
  • Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    4 years ago

I wear makeup, fix my hair, what have you just for myself. Whether I see people or not, I feel better if I am put together the way I like. It's thankfully not a Herculean effort.

PS it really is like a housekeeping matter to me. Nobody knows whether or not my bed is made or my drawers are tidy, but I do and that is all that matters.

Texas_Gem thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • User
    4 years ago

Texas, gotta ask about your friend. You said that she gets made-up and fixes her hair because she is lacking self confidence. Did she tell you this, complain about this or are you assuming this?

When I was younger no lady left the house without "fixing herself up". Although there have unfortunately been times due to skin allergies that I couldn't wear makeup I sure prefer to look nice when going out and appreciate the times I've receiving complements when I do. We all appreciate beauty, some in different forms, I don't see anything shallow in that.

Texas_Gem thanked User
  • rob333 (zone 7b)
    4 years ago

What rhizo said. Makeup and substance aren't mutually exclusive

• sprtphntc7a
    4 years ago

My Routine:

2x's a day facial wash and moisturizer on face and neck.

make up on the weekends, do not need during the week. consists of: BB cream, eyeshadow (love Kat Von D), eyeliner-MAC and lip gloss-KVD, very rarely mascara, it always makes my eyes itch. i don't use foundation, my skin is even toned and that's too much for me.

hair cut and colored - i hate the gray!!!!!!

pedicures every 4 weeks or so. love the massage, even, short toenails, and lots of fun colors!! it makes me happy to look down at my toes and see bright, weird colors!! i never do shades of pink or red. always blues, purples, oranges, greens!! i do use a bright sparkly red at Christmas :)

rarely manis - only for big events, i am too rough with my hands to make it worth while...

i do believe that doing "things" to make myself feel good is essential for my well being! life is so stressful at times!!! when i can, i go the Salt Cave for a relaxation session and maybe 3x's a year get a massage. its good for my 'soul' and sometimes it should be all about ME :)

if you don't like to wear makeup or whatever, that's fine by me. do what works for you!! as long as you are happy with yourself, that's all that matters!!

Texas_Gem thanked sprtphntc7a
  • Feathers11
    4 years ago

I do care about my appearance, since it's the first impression other people have of me. I work to make their further impressions favorable by my attitude and behavior. But my appearance is something I care about. My beauty routine involves more natural products and exercise and eating well, but I have covered my gray roots for decades. One of these days, I'll just go all gray, but I'm not ready for that yet.

My beauty regimen makes me feel better about myself. When I feel better about myself, I'm more confident. When I'm more confident, I'm a happier, pleasant person that I and others like to be around.

Whatever makes you feel happy and confident in yourself is what you should do. Whether it's nothing, or going the whole nine yards, or somewhere in between.

Texas_Gem thanked Feathers11
  • yeonassky
    4 years ago

I care about my appearance but I don't obsess over it. I keep neat and tidy. I am allergic to most potions and lotions so can't wear makeup or use face and body creams. I haven't even found a sun block that I can use for more than once or twice. So even if I wanted to obsess I couldn't.

I try not to compare myself to others because that makes it impossible for me to go out in the world.

Texas_Gem thanked yeonassky
  • katrina_ellen
    4 years ago

I agree that its up to the individual how much time or how little time they want to spend on appearance. For me I choose not to spend a ton of money or time and try to simplify, but I don't judge others who enjoy it. I was a "tomboy" growing up, my granddaughter is a "girly girl" who loves spending time on hair, makeup, fashion. To me its just a matter of each persons personality and what they like/don't like.

Texas_Gem thanked katrina_ellen
Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville