SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gillis95

Deciding on a bookcase - Symmetry vs less distracting lines??

gillis95
4 years ago

This was an empty century farm house and we're starting w this empty room, my husband wants a library and writing room. It's in the back corner of the house so photo is taken from the front family room so this wall is very visible and a focal point.

On a budget but want full built-ins! So found these new designs at Ikea and are solid wood and feel so much nicer than their other types, soft close glass doors instead of the clang! Anyway there are 2 styles.

Both sets take up the same width (just 1 inch diff in total width of the units)

3 of the narrow style w doors that swing open

- more traditional look, symmetry!!! - if I have some larger pieces I can adjust the center unit and still look balanced.

OR

2 of the wider style w sliding glass

- not sure if they're more modern because they're different or more vintage looking, do they make the piece look really wide? too wide for the room? Wider glass shows your stuff better w less framework to distract the eye. The shelves are adjustable but I can't do 1 side without the other or that will just look bad!

They were out of stock of the thinner style so I had resigned myself to love the wide ones but now they have them back in and I'm super second guessing myself.

Any opinions. I'm basically down to symmetry vs more open lines. It's a more traditional farm house.

Blank room, 10'7" back wall, just under 13'7" long.

Thanks for any thoughts on size and balance!!

This was my inspiration pic.

in grey but I'm doing white

Comments (26)