SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
slk7e7

Island bookcase is all wrong - right?

slk7e7
8 years ago

This is our in-progress kitchen with Shiloh cabinets. The island was installed this week and I was not expecting the bookshelves at the end to have the curved detail at the top. I strongly dislike it; it looks very 1980s country to me. I pulled our my KD's rendering and sure enough, it's pictured there. I can't believe I didn't notice it before; I never would have signed off on it. At this point our options are:

1) Keep it and hope it's less noticeable when the countertops are installed and the books are on the shelves.

2) Switch the bookcase with the other end of the island (plain doors) so it's less noticeable as it won't be seen from the main living area. I really liked the idea of having my cookbooks prominently visible. I'm a huge book lover and a fan of books as decor. Plus, I'll still have to see the curve from the other side of the room.

3) Pay to have it re-made with a straight top. This is a custom-color and I guess they are unable to just modify the cabinet so it will cost $1700. My KD is taking part of the "blame" here, saying he should have realized I wouldn't like the curved detail, and has offered to split the cost with us. I agree, as I've been very upfront with my style of not liking much added detail and preferring simple lines. For what we're spending in this kitchen I hate to make a compromise this big, but $850 is $850 and we are already over budget. There comes a time when you just have to stop spending money, right? My husband doesn't want to do it but he will agree if I can't live with it.

I know the question is whether or not I think I can live with it, but I just don't know. So, those of you with similar style to mine (seems to be a lot of kitchens like mine on here!): could you live with it? Is it as bad and out of place in the kitchen as I think it is? Other suggestions?

Comments (80)