SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lovlilynne

Outswing door in NE? Need to decide now!

lovlilynne
14 years ago

Hi - my plan calls for replacing my current patio sliding door with a single patio door. From the beginning, I had decided to make it an outswing door because I want to use every inch of space in my kitchen. The area on my deck where the door will swing is hardly used at all, and only when we are having a party with a lot of people, in which case we would probably just have the door open the whole time.

Well, when my contracter was over to discuss details and start date of project, I reminded him that I wanted an outswing door, and he did not realize that. He advised me against it - his first argument was because of snow - if it snows high enough, you would not be able to open the door against it without some effort (and, I guess in some blizzard situation, at all until you shoveled in front of it). He also mentioned the screen issue. I'm not really happy with having to have a retractable screen - I spend all summer long telling my kids to "shut the screen!" with the slider, and this will be the same situation. But, as with everything, you have to compromise, and I see having my space unecumbered with the door as a higher priority.

So, contrator goes off and prices the door for me and talks to the guys at the door shop - he is shocked at the price (but I am not because I had looked on line and knew all along). He stops by again and is still trying to talk me out of it. He had priced the door at $500, and he said they quoted $1500. He basically said, "do what you want to do", but had left unsaid that he does not agree, does not think it's a good idea, and generally is not happy about it.

I'm trying to think if I'm being unreasonable. The area where the door is will have a cabinet and bookcase on one side, and a pantry on the other. Either way, I'm stuck closing the door in order to open either of those things (probably the cabinet and bookcase because contractor says you would normally swing it to the right so as to walk into the room to the left). Since it's the main door way in and out of the house to the backyard, I've got a traffic pattern and an issue with a bottleneck. I have this issue with in or outswing, but I feel like it is less with outswing. The area that the door would be blocking when open is what I'm calling the "buffet" - I pictured serving food on it when entertaining, and now that would be an issue if the door is blocking almost 3' of it.

I've already pushed back with the contractor on the first conversation, and I'm feeling pressured to change my mind to the in-swing because he is more experienced with this.

Here is a picture of the area so you can get an idea:

I need to tell him Monday what I want to do. What should I do?

Thanks,

Lynne

Comments (12)