What is Your Favorite Vegetable or Vegetables to Eat Raw

Marilyn_Sue

What are your favorite vegetables to eat raw, not in a salad but just to eat out of hand? I like tomatoes of course but I also like radishes, I can eat and eat those. Some others I like a lot too though. How about you?

Sue

SaveComment30Like
Comments (30)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nicole___

Today...I'm eating celery with peanut butter.

Save     Thanked by Marilyn_Sue
adellabedella_usa

Carrots and tomatoes. I prefer most of my veggies cooked.

aok27502

Carrots, bell pepper, cucumber. DH can eat his weight in cucumbers and radishes.

Andie

Homegrown tomatoes in season. The rest of the year mini sweet peppers would top the list. Love them with hummus.

lgmd_gaz

For me, cucs, radishes, red peppers and tomatoes. But I always have celery, cauliflower, carrots, and kohlrabi, when It's available, on hand too. DH is a big raw veggie lover.

glenda_al

pickled cauliflower

morz8

Tomatoes, carrots, green bell pepper.

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Peppers (is that a vegetable?), carrots and my all time favorite peas while picking them. I should grow some again!

nickel_kg

Green beans are my favorite -- they must be young enough to not be stringy and fresh enough to snap instead of bend.

I like most any raw veggie, yay summertime!

two25acres

Home grown tomatoes and the cabbage heart with a bit of salt.

Mary506

Easy question to answer, I don't eat vegetables at all

Andie

Why?

Olychick

Carrots but I recently discovered how good raw asparagus is (if you can get really fresh locally grown).

seagrass_gw

Carrots, celery, cucumber, jicama, sugar snap peas, cauliflower, tomatoes, radishes, bell peppers except green. Broccoli has to be blanched or it's too chalky for me.

joyfulguy

Lacking original or operable teeth - pretty well limited to tomatoes.

At the season-end dinner last week to which the church senior men who gather weekly for coffee and conversation take their wives, the veg was those baby carrots and I was able to pummel a few at the roof of my mouth by my tongue, but most needed to be divided up with a knife in order to be navigable down red lane.

Thankfully, there was help at hand in case I choked on one.

Hope that long sentence didn't choke anyone.

ole joyful

2 Likes Save     Thanked by Marilyn_Sue
Michael

Radishes

Snow peas

Carrots

Cauliflower

Broccoli

Green beans

Bell peppers

Scallions with ranch dressing

Tomatoes with salt & pepper

marcopolo5

Kohlrabi and white turnip (purple top) are both great sliced thin.

rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

I like most of them raw! Zucchini and yellow squash, green beans, green peas, sweet potatoes, jicama, cabbage, turnips, beets, cauliflower, broccoli, and more that aren't coming to mind right now. That's over and beyond all of the usuals like cukes, tomatoes, peppers, etc.

I couldn't possibly decide what my favorite veggie is overall. My own garden is full of different kinds of "leafy greens" that are harvested and replanted most of the year, and are what I eat most of. I love zucchini because I can prepare it in so many ways, and never tire of it. I'm getting ready to stuff a few zucchini blossoms for us to savor before dinner, as a matter of fact.

Kathsgrdn

Tomatoes from the garden, cucumbers, carrots, broccoli, and celery. I also like snacking on pieces of fresh from the garden squash when I'm cutting it up to sautee. I love okra but not raw. I can't wait for my plants to start producing it. I have a whole raised bed this year with nothing but okra growing in it! I like it grilled in the toaster oven.

Fun2BHere

Jicama and daikon

OutsidePlaying

Homegrown tomatoes, celery (esp with peanut butter or pimento cheese), mini bell peppers with guacamole, cauliflower, cukes, snow peas.

marilyn_c

Tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, lettuce, corn, bean sprouts and snow peas.

Rusty

Radishes. I often keep them on hand for snacking. They are probably the only vegetable that I buy just for that purpose. There are a lot of others that I munch on while I'm preparing them for a meal. Cabbage cores, broccoli and cauliflower stems aren't usually a part of the finished dish, so I munch on them raw. I eat most of my vegetables raw, but usually as part of my meal.

Rusty

jemdandy

Celery, carrots, and rutabaga.

Slices of cabbage head with salt and pepper.

watchmelol

Radishes (with butter), cucumbers, jicama, carrots.

Lucille

Tomatoes, especially a bowl full of sweet cherry tomatoes

ravencajun Zone 8b TX

Fresh garden grown tomatoes. Fresh young turnips they are so sweet, Cabbage core with salt, cukes especially the small pickling ones, well cleaned mushrooms, broccoli and cauliflower with dip, real carrots not those "baby carrots" I like the big whole carrots washed well and cut in strips. They have these huge carrots from Mexico at a local store, they are the best! Super sweet. Awesome oven roasted too.

When I get very fresh veggies there's a lot of them I eat raw. I like some with vinegar salt and pepper!

Save    
grapefruit1_ar

Cauliflower, carrots, cucumbers . C food. :)

Save    
artemis_ma

Raw, I like cukes, tomatoes (not truly a vegetable), salad turnips, red or Vidalia onions, cabbage slivered into a salad or slaw. Celery. Daikon radish, bell pepper.

Various salad greens. Home grown peas. Snow peas.

One typically-served veggie I absolutely do NOT love raw: carrots. Nope, no way.

Save    
sjerin

I like to eat carrots and tomatoes raw, most of all. This is neither here nor there, but my mother was on a kick where she ate a ton of raw cabbage in cole slaw every night, and ate most of the rest of her veggies raw as well. At that time she developed colon cancer and she always wondered to herself whether all those raw vegetables had irritated her colon. Yes, I know it takes ten years for a polyp to develop into a cyst.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Edible Gardens Cool-Season Vegetables: How to Grow Beets
Give canned versions of this fall and spring garden favorite the heave-ho and discover its true flavor and colors
Full Story
Edible Gardens Cool-Season Vegetables: How to Grow Chard
A year-round garden favorite with a colorful stem, Swiss chard comes into its own in early spring and in fall
Full Story
Edible Gardens Cool-Season Vegetables: How to Grow Carrots
More than just a bunny food, easy-to-grow carrots add lacy good looks to a fall or spring garden
Full Story