Iced Coffee.................

Debby

YUM! When I was a kid, the thought of drinking iced tea made me gag. Then a friend made me a glass of instant Nestea Iced Tea and I became an "instant" Iced Tea junkie. Then years and years later, Lipton made an iced tea with real tea and bam! No more instant, only Liptons real tea. Then the thought of drinking iced coffee was like, WHAT??!!??!! Who does that??? Then I tried one. OMG! Where was this my whole life??? So I started buying them at Tim Hortons (their hot coffee is terrible, but iced coffee is good) and McDonalds. Then I started eating the Keto way and my iced coffee was no more, unless I could be sure either restaurant used sugar free syrup. BUT: I finally learned how to make my own! No, you don't use coffee that was brewed in your coffee maker. I use fresh beans that I grind (1 cup full) to 4 cups cold filtered water (I use a Brita water filter system). Just pour the water over the course coffee beans stir gently to make sure they're all wet and sit in the fridge for 12 - 24 hours. Then strain the coffee through a filter (I have a Melitta pour over pot that I used). To make it Keto friendly, I put ice in a glass, then the coffee. Add 1T heavy whipping cream and 1 cap full of Skinny Syrup Mocha flavoured and it's honestly better than store bought! I only seem to drink it in the summertime and guess what? IT'S SUMMERTIME! lol

SaveComment22Like2
Comments (22)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Fun2BHere

I don't drink coffee usually, but iced coffee in the summer is a welcome treat. I skip the sweetener and just use a bit of 2% milk. Have you tried iced chai with milk? I make mine with a rooibos blend so there's no caffeine. Delicious.

Save    
gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

I love iced coffee in the summer, but then I love coffee, period. I'm a Seattleite and good coffee is our life blood :-) But I only like it the same way I like iced tea......properly brewed, served over ice and black. No sweeteners or flavors and no milk or cream. Iced coffee, not an iced coffee drink :-)

4 Likes Save    
Debby

gardengale48, I prefer my hot coffee just black and very strong. (and I'm still so mad I didn't go inside the Starbucks across from Pike Place when I was there 7 years ago!!). But for me, cold coffee tastes better with a little cream and sugar in it. I often ask people why they put sugar and cream in their hot coffee if they like coffee so much. It kills the flavour of the coffee, BUT: I do like to put whipped cream on one cup per day. I really eat the whipped cream before it has a chance to melt into the coffee............ I should just eat the whipped cream. lol

Save    
rob333 (zone 7a)

I LOVE iced coffee, double strength, cold brewed, in summer. I never thought about the original Starbucks store, but I bet I'd love it. I love all kinds of coffee. It looks like fun with them tossing cups up to the baristas.

Tour the original store (including cup tossing)

Save     Thanked by Debby
Kathsgrdn

I'm addicted to Stok iced brew coffee, the not so sweet version. I have made my own but it is easier to just buy the ready made coffee for me. The stuff you get in restaurants/coffee shops is either too bitter to drink or sickly sweet.

1 Like Save    
maifleur01

I love iced coffee but cold brewed coffee causes intense itching of my eyelids so I have to use hot coffee poured over ice. Very occasionally will I ask for cream and sugar when I do not make it myself and then only if the coffee does not taste good. I am too cheap to just toss it in the trash. I think it is the malt that is extracted from the coffee beans that is the problem.

1 Like Save    
Rusty

I want my coffee brewed strong, but I've never tried cold-brewed, so I don't know if I'd like that or not. I drink my hot coffee with just powdered creamer in it, no sugar or sweetener. I use the 'leftover' coffee from morning for my afternoon iced coffee drink. For that, I like a little flavored sweetener in it. My current favorite flavors are Caramel Macchiato and Amaretto. (Not together!) I use International Delight liquid coffee creamers, I like them better than the other brands. Occasionally I'll want it a little 'whiter', but not stronger flavored or sweeter, so I'll add a little heavy cream.

Rusty

1 Like Save    
rob333 (zone 7a)

I'm pretty sure powdered creamer is sweetened? You might want to check that if you're truly avoiding sugar rusty. Hope that helps!

Save    
gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

" I think it is the malt that is extracted from the coffee beans that is the problem."

What kind of coffee contains malt? I always understood malt to be grain that was germinated, fermented, then dried. Since coffee is not a grain, where does the malt come from?

Save    
stacey_mb

I like drinking cold coffee and have tasted Starbucks' and Tim Hortons' iced varieties. However, my favorite for an occasional treat is Vietnamese iced coffee.

2 Likes Save    
nickel_kg

My new favorite treat is a simple iced latte from the local coffee shop -- espresso from their freshly roasted beans, ice, and milk from the local dairy.

Debby I will try your way of making cold brew. I used to have a cold brew coffee system but it used a full pound of ground coffee. The quantity was too much. So I like the idea of a making a smaller quantity and using freshly ground beans.

1 Like Save    
maifleur01

Gardengal malt is a by product of roasting grains of all types. Coffee is roasted. At the coffee competitions malt is one of the things that coffee is judged for.

Save    
PRO
Anglophilia

Do any of you remember when Coke started promoting their Coke Float? They were especially good when served in those aluminum tall glasses that came in various colors - they kept SO cold and frosty!

This was a major treat on a hot summer's afternoon when I was a child and there was no AC. At the St Louis Zoo, they sold Frozen Cokes at their concession stands. They were SO good!

Not a fan of coffee, hot or cold and try to limit my tea drinking.

Save    
cherryfizz

I have been buying Starbucks cold brew coffee at Costco, Never before have I used those sweetened coffee creamers but my brother bought me a French Vanilla creamer to try and I was hooked. I don't put a lot in but it makes the cold brew coffee taste like a Tim's Ice Capp. I just bought an Instant Pot blender that crushes ice so now I am happy. I also love my cold brew coffee black with no sugar or sweetener as long as it is iced

Save    
OutsidePlaying

Another who would not have dreamed of drinking iced coffee when I was younger. Somehow that changed a few years back when I actually tried one and liked it. Of course it had sweet cream in it and I am a black coffee drinker. I have tried iced coffee all ways now and usually have it as a treat with flavored sugar-free flavoring and cream.

1 Like Save    
Rusty

Rob333, the flavored powdered creamers are sweetened, but the 'original', or plain, isn't. At least the one I use isn't. And no, I'm not particularly avoiding sugar, I just don't want my morning coffee to be sweet. In fact, I don't want anything sweet in the morning until after I've had some protein of some sort, something savory.

Weird? Probably.

Rusty

1 Like Save    
gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

"malt is a by product of roasting grains of all types. Coffee is roasted. "

Sorry but I am not buying this ;-) Coffee is NOT a grain!! It is a seed and to the best of my knowledge you cannot get malt from a seed, only from sprouted, roasted or fermented cereal grains. Wheat, rye, barley, etc. I can find no literature that addresses anything about coffee "malt" beyond adding grain malt to coffee as you might with anything desiring a malt flavor. And I see nothing about the evaluation of roasted coffee that includes testing for malt.

If you could provide some documentation that supports this contention, that would be helpful. I could find nothing.

Save    
OutsidePlaying

I agree gardengal. The only exception I can think of offhand would be chickory which might be a grain, or certain forms of coffee in other parts of the world that might contain grains, but not our everyday single roast coffee bean.

Save    
rob333 (zone 7a)

Coffee is actually classified as a berry (I've also heard cherry).

Save    
nickel_kg

Grainlady would have known. I hope she's doing well :-)

1 Like Save    
maifleur01

What is roasted is a seed. Sorry if you do not believe me but the amount and flavor of malt when there are coffee roasting competitions is one of the things that is judged.

Save    
vicsgirl

Just adding my 2 cents, . I drink 2 cups of hot coffee every morning at my local diner, adding three spoons of white sugar and five small containers of half n half. Yeah, high caffeine high sugar and high fat. I recently tried iced coffee and find I like it black. I don't notice the sugar and cram missing.

Save    

Related Stories

Home Tech Ice Cubes Are Obsolete! New Technology Is Way Cooler
Chill drinks the smarter way than using messy old ice, with these new home tech solutions
Full Story
Color Palettes Summer Color Combos: 8 Refreshing Ice Cream Palettes
July 19 is National Ice Cream Day, so scoop up these delectable combinations for sumptuous interiors
Full Story
Homes Around the World How Do You Make Your Tea and Coffee in the Morning?
A morning cup is a must for many, and preparation comes in many guises. We look at coffee and tea habits across the Houzz community
Full Story
Product Picks Guest Picks: Coffee Service
Upgrade your morning ritual with accessories to help make the perfect brew
Full Story
Simple Pleasures Simple Pleasures: Wake Up and Smell the Coffee
Slugging down any old sludge while pulling on socks is no way to start the day. Learn to brew amazing java and savor the experience here
Full Story
Kitchen Design Hot Ideas and Tips for Coffee and Tea Stations
Let options like drawer inserts and built-in coffeemakers percolate now, so your hot-drinks station can best serve holiday guests
Full Story
Kitchen Appliances Wake Up Your Kitchen With a Deluxe Coffee Center
Get all the ingredients for the perfect morning jump-start with a station dedicated to your cup of joe
Full Story
Most Popular An Architect's Calling Cards
The next time you run into a tongue-tied architect hanging out solo in a corner, one of these handouts may help
Full Story
Homes Around the World What You Do When There’s No One Around
Ice cream binges, air guitar concerts, napping in the closet. Houzzers worldwide disclose their quirky secret indulgences
Full Story
Metropolitan Staging has a proven track record of staging homes that are under contract in less than two weeks... Read More
Patty creates unique, enjoyable, and livable interiors. Regardless of project budget, she is known for... Read More