SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
buy1soon

Iced coffee ideas?

Terri_PacNW
14 years ago

Does anyone have an idea of making a "coffee" base to have milk and/or half and half added to at serving?

The link below is what I'm looking at but I want to kind of have the coffee part with maybe the sugar in a holding jug, and then add the milk/cream to it at serving.

These would be served in 16oz cups, and I would also like to take into account the addition of some flavored syrups at order.

It's for my concession stand. We are hosting a bucket load of tournaments this year, and we are always asked for "iced" coffees. But I need something easy for my help on the times I'm not there.

We do ice cream floats, orange and rootbeer, and they are a HUGE hit! But would like to add something coffee based. Oh and I also do Fresh Cherry Lime Squeezes. (fresh lime juice, marashino cherries/juice and lemon lime soda).

I am also unconcerned about "sugar free, light, soy"..if you want that go to Starbucks. LOL

These would be for those that like a treat and want something refreshing and tasty.

Here is a link that might be useful: Creamy Iced Coffee

Comments (30)

• Tracey_OH
    14 years ago

Terri, I'm wondering if maybe a coffee contrate would work for you. I've made this before using this method and also using a Toddy maker I found at the Goodwill. The recipe I'm linking is one I've made before. I have one of those gold reusable coffee filters and I just used that to drain the concentrate. Also, I would recommend using the concentrate as soon as possible as it seems to "turn" rather quickly. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Coffee concentrate recipe

• caliloo
    14 years ago

I have not made this recipe, but my biggest complaint about iced coffee is that it gets all watery when poured over ice. I bet this would stand up to the ice and some sort of creamy or other flavored addition.

Coffee Syrup Recipe

1 1/2 cups
    1/2 cup water
    1 cup sugar
    1/4 cup instant coffee granules
    1/4 cup chocolate syrup

1.Bring water to a boil,add sugar and coffee,stirring until dissolved.
    2.Stir in chocolate syrup.
    3.Store in the refrigerator.

• Related Discussions

What's your favorite recipe for Iced Coffee?

Q

Comments (29)
    We normally drink a local brand, Peet's, selecting the Italian Roast (a lot stronger and more bitter than French Roast) and have it preground in a #2 grind, which is one small step above powder (Turkish). A standard drip grind is #6 and espresso is #4, for comparison. We do a Melitta drip with Melitta woven filters, which make a much better brew than standard paper filters. For iced coffee, we do a double-strength brew: make our usual coffee, then immediately use it to pour through a fresh batch of grounds. DH grew up in Hong Kong so he prefers the taste of sweetened condensed milk in iced tea and coffee drinks. If we make a large batch, we chill it in the frig for a few hours so that no ice cubes dilute it. But if we're desperate, a few ice cubes in a glass chill it quickly, and this brew is so strong, a 1/4 cup of water is barely noticeable in a tall glass. Chocolate syrup is a nice addition, except you have to add extra for it to make any impact on what is basically a triple-strength espresso drink. Unbelievably, my DH can drink this right before going to bed and drop off to sleep like a baby....yeah, I'm jealous of that!
    ...See More

Saw Dryer's Coffee ice cream at the store,

Q

Comments (1)
    I don't get to have a treat of it very often these days but Starbucks java chip is my love. Soooo good.
    ...See More

Free iced coffee at Tim Hortons tomorrow

Q

Comments (6)
    Oh yes......and I have already planned to go get one. It will round out a trip home from the library very nicely. Thanks for reminding me casey....although I did see the advert on TV last night. I'll wave it towards you wayyyyyy over on the other side of Canada...we'll let the part in the middle look after themselves!
    ...See More

Iced Coffee

Q

Comments (5)
    I am not sure if this is the one, but Terri PacNW posted about this and I have made it countless times and everyone that has tried it (at the KT and IRL) love it!!! I just made a gallon of it for a family get together this past week-end and they all thought it was awesome! I just made a very simple "iced" coffee recipe to go with breakfast this morning...You could certainly pour it over ice in the blender and make a frozen coffee. 8-10 cups of strong fresh brewed coffee 1 can of sweetened condensed milk (low fat, fat free..whatever) Blend, chill..pour over ice...
    ...See More
  • Terri_PacNW
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Great paths to look at! Thanks Girls..

The other thing, I was wanting to use up brewed coffee that would go in the fridge over night from the day before's "hot pot".

Some folks still like their hot coffee...and sometimes our ball fields get chilly in the evening since they are right on the water.

But I could still try the cold coffee soak method too...

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    14 years ago

When we brew pots of coffee and have coffee left over, I was taught to add sugar to the hot coffee to dissolve it and then store it in the refrigerator. I keep sweetened iced coffee in the refrigerator now in the summertime. We drink it on ice, with half & half added to taste. This is a New England thing, I think. Growing up in the Midwest, I never tasted iced coffee. They sell jars of coffee syrup here - my husband grew up putting it in his milk as a kid.

seagrass

• Terri_PacNW
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Seagrass, how much sugar to how much coffee?

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    14 years ago

terri - more than you would expect - I would guess if you had half a pot left (maybe 3 cups?) you'd add about 1 1/2 tablespoons. I don't drink sugar in my coffee (hot) and I never understood the attraction of iced coffee until I finally had it sweetened. When you get it in coffee shops, they ususally just add the sugar to the cold coffee and it sinks to the bottom of the cup so you end up with a few slurps of crystallized sugar at the end. My mother-in-law taught me to add the sugar directly to the leftover hot coffee before storing it in the refrigerator.

seagrass

• annie1992
    14 years ago

I make iced coffee for amanda regularly following Renee's directions from back when she still owned the coffee shop.

I brew half a pot of coffee using twice as much coffee as I would for a whole pot. (Does that make sense?) I mix in 1/4 cup of sugar and flavored syrups to taste (Amanda likes an ounce of caramel and an ounce of French Vanilla) then add an amount of milk equal to the coffee. Refrigerate until you want it, then pour over ice.

She loves it, I don't want my coffee cold. I'd rather warm yesterday's coffee (or even the day before) in the microwave than to have it cold, although I'll drink iced tea. Go figure.

Annie

• foodonastump
    14 years ago

I don't think you can pre-sweeten. Not only do people's tastes vary widely, but the moment you add a shot of syrup you change the amount of sugar you need to reach the same sweetness. Ideally I like simple syrup, but at a concession stand you'd be best of having sugar packets available. They are less than a penny apiece if bought in bulk.

• Tracey_OH
    14 years ago

Annie, how big is your coffee maker? 10 cup? I'm going to try this method soon.

Tracey

• dreamhouse1
    14 years ago

How about like the Greeks make frappe? You throw it all in a shaker, shake and pour. I drink mine without the milk just because I watch calories. Of course it's a bit stronger and 'coffee-r', but still good. Had gallons of these on the beaches of Greece. It's all about the instant coffee. They have a Nestle one there that is so much better than ours here. Has to be sweetened though, those that ask for unsweetened probably won't like it much.

greekfood.about.com/od/mezethesdrinks/ht/frappe.htm

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Tracey, my current pot is a 12 cup, but the prior one was a 10 cup, it worked in both.

However, and I have to add the however, I made it to Amanda's taste and based on one she got at a local coffee shop. Now I know they made it the same way for everyone that ordered it, but it's still just a single flavor.

A quart will keep in the fridge for a couple of days, though.

Annie

• readinglady
    14 years ago

I vote for the Toddy. I used coffee concentrate for years. It keeps well in the fridge and can be used hot or cold. My only complaint was I drank too much coffee because it tasted so good - no acid with the cold extraction.

Speaking of Greece, how about a coffee float? Good vanilla ice cream in strong cold coffee is really hard to beat.

Or Vietnamese coffee with condensed milk. You could go international.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Vietnamese Iced Coffee

• Lisa_in_Germany
    14 years ago

An Iced Coffee over here is exactly how Carol described, vanilla ice cream with cold coffee. Whipped cream on top and served with a long spoon and a straw.
    Lisa

• moosemac
    14 years ago

OMG you folks are making iced coffee w-a-y to complicated! :-)

Brew a pot of strong coffee and toss it in the fridge to cool. Pour over ice and add milk and sugar. Stir to dissolve sugar. End of storyÂ..

In the summer, we save the remainder of the pot each morning and add it to the pitcher we keep in the fridge.

I didnÂt realize iced coffee was a New England thing. Must be that Yankee frugality that canÂt bear to throw out the remainder of a pot of coffee!

• Terri_PacNW
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well I didn't know there was such a thing as a coffee float...Now that sounds good.

Carol, for home I do the "vietnamese" coffee.

Maybe I'll just stick with that. I was looking at some way to use up some milk and cream that we'd have for something else.

Foodonastump, that was a little my thought too..Maybe I'll just make up a simple syrup and put it in one of my sqeeze bottles.
    Oh I have plenty of sweeteners. Pink Packet, C&H packet and Raw Sugar packets.

• sillymesillyne
    14 years ago

>> This is a New England thing, I think. Growing up in the Midwest, I never tasted iced coffee. They sell jars of coffee syrup here - my husband grew up putting it in his milk as a kid. seagrass,
    That's because coffee ice cream was (is/still?) a very popular thing in NE. Rhode Island is, especially, crazy for it. Here in Massachusetts it's very popular, still. My sister loved that coffee syrup. And she'd take a coffee frappe over any other flavor.

Silly

• foodonastump
    14 years ago

I think the bottom line is if you want to make some sort of a coffee drink then you can make a big batch or have a set recipe but if you're offering iced coffee then it needs to be as customizable as hot coffee. Think of Dunkin' Donuts - order an iced coffee and they'll ask how you want it; order a Coffee Coolata and you get what they give you.

• Terri_PacNW
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Perfect point Food! I'll have to come up with some fancy name. LOL and serve it the way I want.

• readinglady
    14 years ago

And hope for really hot weather to bring lots of customers.

Carol

• Gina_W
    14 years ago

I love iced coffee and coffee ice cream too. I like foodonastump's idea too - I would sweeten and cream the coffee in advance and give it a name - then customers can take it or leave it.

• Terri_PacNW
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well I placed my Costco Business Delivery Order and they had "cane sugar syrup". In the DaVinci coffee syrups. So I picked that up, with a jug of French Vanilla. I already have peppermint, toasted marshmallow, cherry and Giradella caramel sauce and hershey's chocolate syrup.

So I think I can come up with somethin!

• suebdoo
    14 years ago

Hi Terri:

Not sure if anyone posted this as I neglected to read the links. A friend of mine at work always makes iced coffee.
    She brews a 12 cup pot of coffee (a bit on the strong side) and she adds a tin of eagle brand sweetened condensed milk to it. Refrigerate and enjoy!!

Sue

• Terri_PacNW
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Sue, yes there was mention of the SCMilk up above, which I do for home. I wanted to be able to use some half n half and/or milk because I'd have the half n half for italian cream sodas too.

I still have to "work" on the coffee. Haven't had but a few moments to do anything other than work, and watching baseball games.

• Ideefixe
    14 years ago

If you have the storage space, you could freeze coffee ice cubes, so that the melting ice won't dilute the drink.

• User
    14 years ago

I found this page interesting. Here is a recipe for coffee milk made with coffee syrup

How to make coffee syrup in five easy steps
    1. Start with enough fresh-ground coffee (the richer the better) to make four cups.
    2. Brew the coffee using only two cups of water.
    3. Mix the brewed coffee in a saucepan with an additional 1/4 cup water and three to four tablespoons of sugar or sweetener.
    4. Bring the contents of the saucepan to a vigorous boil. Boil until reduced to about one cup of syrup, stirring occasionally.
    5. Transfer syrup to a small jar and refrigerate.

How to make a coffee milk in nine easy steps
    1. Fill a large glass with fresh cold milk.
    2. Add a liberal amount of coffee syrup to the milk.
    3. Wipe up the milk that overflowed because you started with too much.
    4. Stir vigorously.
    5. Take a good-sized gulp of coffee milk.
    6. Make a face.
    7. Add more syrup.
    8. Stir vigorously.
    9. Enjoy!

Here is a link that might be useful: Coffee milk

• coconut_nj
    14 years ago

Terri, might as well add My two cents. Smiles. If I were you, I'd make double strong coffee, add about a quarter cup of sugar to the pot while hot. Then use that to make your iced coffee using your leftover cream/milk [mix them if you have both]. You can offer the syrups as extras and offer your cane sugar syrup for those that want it sweeter. Then you can also use the double coffee to make coffee shakes which I'm sure will also be quite popular. Two drinks with one simple coffee.

• annie1992
    14 years ago

coconut, that's a good idea, I think. That's what I do, make double strong coffee with 1/4 cup of sugar and add it to milk, but your idea of the syrup as extras would give everyone a chance to decide what flavor they want. I think I'll try that for the girls, since Ashley hates French Vanilla and Amanda loves it!

I still want my coffee hot, LOL.

Annie

• Terri_PacNW
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Coconut, Excellant ideas!

I have a blender, but I'm not sure I want to be "whirring" constantly. LOL But it sounds really good to me!

• coconut_nj
    14 years ago

Ah, Terri, I just realized you said you already do floats not shakes. So, coffee floats. And just go ahead and mix up the coffee with your cream/milk ahead of time and put in gallon jugs or whatever and then you can just pour them over ice and offer your special syrups. That will work just as well and you can still use the coffee mixed with the milk/cream for your coffee floats too.

Annie you can have yours hot and I'll take mine as a float... lol.

• Terri_PacNW
    Original Author
    14 years ago

still haven't played with the right balance of coffee to half n half/milk.

For this tournament that we are hosting right now I've only added my Fresh Lime Cherry Squeeze.

But for the two in July I'm adding the coffee thing and the floats too.