SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fawnridge69

The fear of changing a recipe

As a baker, you always have some trepidation when it comes to changing a recipe. The addition of nuts, the removal of salt, an extra teaspoon of vanilla, anything that could fundamentally change the final product. Cooking temperature, the type of mixing or grinding involved, top or bottom shelf in the oven, all things that will alter the results - good OR bad.

In the case of a cannabis baker, the original processing of the vital ingredient makes a HUGE difference, as I found out this morning.

The goal with cannabis baking, obviously is to add the maximum amount of THC to the final product, one that's as small as possible. No one wants to have to eat a 12" chocolate chip cookie just to get a light buzz. Imagine having to eat a couple of them, at the same time, to get wrecked? It would be like having to drink a whole bottle of wine by yourself for your afternoon cocktail. (Okay, let's not go there.)

Grinding, as I learned today, makes a significant difference in the strength of the cookie. I have, for the more than eight years I've been baking with cannabis-infused butter - cannabutter, simply mashed up the dried ganja with the palms of my hands; a very rough grinding. Yesterday I took down the old coffee grinder that I used to use to make my dry rubs and turned the ganja into almost a powder. The fear comes from thoughts of preventing the vegetative matter from passing through the cheese cloth to what if the crystals of THC are destroyed by the blades? Nonetheless, I was committed to the test and made my cannabutter with the powdered ganja.

This morning I tested one of the cookies. I ate it.

First the non-science (nonsense?) part of the experiment. When I moved to Colorado nearly two years ago, I had already been baking with cannabutter for over six years. I knew how my cookies affected me. I compared that feeling, let's for argument's sake call it my level of stonedness, to a dispensary bought edible with 100mg of THC. I repeated this experiment with 10mg, 50mg, and 200mg doses and came to the conclusion that I was baking a cookie with around 120mg of THC.

Now, some science. You grind de ganja, mon. You max up de surface area gon suck de oil from de plant. Ya, mon. More surface, more suck. Jah protect. Rastafari.

The previous batches of cookies have been yielding a stonedness level you'd get from a 120mg dose. This morning's cookie is much higher than that. Much higher indeed. So a change, that could have been catastrophic to the tune of $200, turned out to be a success.

Ah, that they all could be so.

Comments (14)