SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Changing a scone recipe from one single round to individual pieces

linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

My 2 favorite scone recipes call for just patting the dough into one big circle, scoring in sections like a pie, then baking without separating the pieces. This works out well in general because I am just baking for myself, so slice off a piece of the baked round when I want one.

The dough is not rolled, it is just gently patted into the right diameter and thickness on a floured cookie sheet. They are very tender and can be moistly crumbly as well.

But I need to bring scones to a club meeting on Thursday. Individual pieces might be better, plus I need smaller pieces than the slices I normally serve up : there will be other food on the buffet as well.

Coffee shops usually have them in triangles. In England they were always round like a baking powder biscuit.

Before I potentially mess up a good recipe (by overworking the dough or something), for scones of this type, is there any reason why I can’t cut them either in rounds with a biscuit cutter or in triangles? I am wondering if there is a rule of thumb for how to handle different kinds of dough. Thank you.

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath