SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
primdawg

Business idea. Has anyone used something similar?

Annette Holbrook(z7a)
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

DH and I just closed down the dog daycare and training center we’ve owned since 1997. We moved into an area that is a big draw for tourists and retirees. Where I just moved from there was a dairy and produce delivery service. You signed up and every week they would pick up an assortment of what was in season and then bring to a common point(like a park or mall parking lot) and you’d meet up and get your portion of the weeks stuff. It was all organic, which was the reason people chose it over grocery store options. I think you could pick and choose each week from a list, plus you could opt out with a certain number of days notice. I never used it as we grew a lot of our own stuff, but I remember it being discussed in social media.

Anyway, we have just moved about an hour north into a much smaller community with way less shopping options. I’m generally fine with what is here but there are a few things I make sure to pick up in bulk whenever I visit friends in the old neighborhood. Apparently there are quite a few people in my new area that have the same issue. It turned into a long thread on the fb group for this community yesterday, with everyone talking about the stuff they’d love to get up here.

I was already churning this idea in my head, but that conversation yesterday got me thinking more seriously about it.

Does it sound like a feasible thing to set up a service where I get a shopping list for people, drive down, fill up my truck, then meet back up here at a central spot for people to get their items? I have to think about the amount I’d charge per person, either a flat fee or a percentage of their order? I’d also consider delivering directly to individual homes for a fee.

Comments (17)