SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_944186815

DD downsizing; conflicting opinions on how to prep large home for sale

AJCN
4 years ago

My 81 yo Dad just bought a very nice smaller townhouse in his same neighborhood, and is getting ready to sell his very large family home. He asked me to come to the meeting with the realtor and we all walked around the house together. This is an almost 4000 sq ft family home with 5 bedrooms and 3.5 bathrooms in a suburb of Houston, on a beautiful lot that backs up to a green space, zoned to the schools everyone wants to go to. The hot water heaters, HVAC, and roof have all been replaced within the last 2-5 years. The home is in very good condition, but it's very outdated in terms of the fixtures and finishes which haven't changed since the house was built in 1998.

This realtor is recommending that my dad:

- paint the entire house the nice neutral color it currently is (looks like SW Accessible Beige, but I'm not sure)

- paint all the trim the saame white

- replace every single internal and external doorknob in the house, plus all door stops to brushed nickle. He has 6 exterior doors, and dozens of interior doors if you count all the closets and such

- replace all the bathroom sink faucets, towel bars, TP holders, towel rings and the master bath tub filler. That sounds like a very high Ferguson's bill.

- replace all of the light fixtures in the house of which there are dozens

- move the furniture he is keeping to his new place

- let a stager decide if anything left in the house will be used for staging

- sell, donate, or throw away everything else

- have the house professionally cleaned

- let the stagers stage

- let the realtor take pictures

- list

All his adult kids live in the same city, and we can help him on whatever he deides to do, but I totally disagree with the realtor. The comps are sort of all over the place but from what the realtor showed us, if he leaves it as is and only does the purging and cleaning, then listing at about 450K makes sense. A nearby comparable house that was totally updated just sold for 610K and another comparable one that only updated the kitchen and master bathroom, but nothing else, just sold for 500K.

I just don't see that it makes sense to do anything other than purging and cleaning. If the stagers want to bring stuff in for staging that's fine. His old yucky furniture will not show well.

Here's an example: His master bathroom has a solid-surface type of shower that looks plastic (cultured marble?), thick gold trim on the frosted glass surround. The vanity counter is the same material with sinks that are part of the whole mold, orangy oak cabinets with no hardware, a molded tub also, all gold fixtures. So this realtor wants him to replace the sink faucets and tub filler, towel bars, TP holder, and towel rings to brushed nickle. The new buyer is still going to see that the bathroom has not been updated. To me I just don't see that this will help resale at all. If I were buying the house, I'd be making plans to update the whole house and new faucets would not even register on my radar.

Same with doorknobs. He could replace every doorknob in the house, but it is still going to show as an outdated house. And not everyone likes brushed nickle. I certainly don't for exterior doors especially.

Same with the lighting fixtures - a new light fixture is not going to make a cultured marble molded sink look nicer.

I am recommending to him that he only does the purging and cleaning. If he did anything more than that I'd say it's okay if he did some touch up painting of the wall paint only where needed. I think anything else is just a lot of work and a lot of money for my Dad to do and won't matter to buyers.

Am I on the wrong page here?

Comments (41)