SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

Good riddance to bad mustard

plllog
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

We've talked about mustard before. We all have our favorites. I'm not a big fan of dijon except for in certain recipes that call for it. When I was a kid I hate prepared mustard because of the vinegar, but grew to appreciate it, and now it's an acceptable way to introduce vinegar into a sandwich, and I do like the mustard flavor. But that's basic yellow sandwich mustard. I also like fancy mustards like Silver Palate green peppercorns and garlic as well as mustardy mustards.

I had never heard of Coleman's before members here raved about it, so when it appeared at the store, I bought a jar. It just tastes like mustard to me. Then I figured out that it probably has been available where the only other choice was the vinegary, mild sandwich mustard, whereas I've always had mustardy mustard.

I could make my own, of course, but we just don't use enough to make it worthwhile.

I'm always up for something new, however, so when I needed mustard and was in a place that only sells, um, alternative products, I bought a jar of organic mustard made with apple cider. Faugh. It's actually fine in a sandwich, but tastes more of cider than mustard, and it smells all too funky. After half a jar in this and that, it's no better. It's not like the dill mustard that tasted bad raw, but was a great marinade for roast chicken.

I just figured out that I could just chuck it.

Liberation!

Waste?

Yep.

Worth it?

Absolutely.

People pay more to feel this happy. :)

The issue is it's not that bad. I could use it up. But life's too short for icky mustard. right?

Ever chuck something just because you didn't much like it?

Comments (45)