SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grant_in_arizona

June 2014 what looks good/bad in your garden?

grant_in_arizona
9 years ago

Hi everyone,

What's looking good or bad in your garden? We'd love to see/hear alllll about it!

I'll start off, and this time with something that looks not just bad, but awful, LOL, a "roadkill cactus" (Consolea) that got heavily damaged in the awful freeze of the winter of 2012-2013. Yes, it's taken THIS long for the dumb thing to eventually die. It looked awful, so I took a pic, hah, and then promptly ripped it right out. I've had it several years and it would grow many feet each summer, then occasionally get cut back by a frost, but that big freeze did it in. Good riddance, I say, as I refuse to baby/cover plants so if it's going to get all dramatic about it, GOODBYE, lol. Believe it or not, four years ago this was a gorgeous multi-branched six foot tall specimen that I started from a single pad/segment. Here's a pic of my shame, hah!

{{gwi:407434}}

Now on to some things looking good, Cochemiea setispina, a close relative to Mammilaria, is putting on a very nice show again as it does each May/June:

{{gwi:407436}}

{{gwi:407438}}

Twin flowers on a hybrid Huernia on the patio:

{{gwi:407440}}

And a big ol' pot of cascading vincas, true workhorses for our blast furnace summer.

{{gwi:407443}}

What about you? What looks good? Bad? Awful? Pics or not, we'd love updates.

Happy gardening!
Grant

Here is a link that might be useful: Pics, so far, from my garden, June 2014

Comments (55)

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath