SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brianasplace

Utility Room (Space actually needed?)

B Carey
4 years ago

I have this weird little space left in my plans that I am trying to squeeze a 4*2 closet and shower/toilet/sink space for my son on the right side (his bedroom is right of my screenshot), a W/D and possibly a 4*1 closet space for vacuum/cleaning supplies, etc. I also need to squeeze in the utility room. We are hoping to find water to put in a well, so I will have a pressure tank, a Geothermal furnace, a radon system, and I am planning to do 2 tankless water heaters and later add a whole home filtration system. Currently, our W/D is in our utility room...and I hate it. This W/D is just for the kid's and guests laundry, but would still prefer side by side units. They were originally planned where the french doors are showing. If I do them off the hallway, I'll do french doors or a barn door (I know, gasp). I love the idea of turning them and having them sort of in a hallway to the utility room...but that makes the utility space really small. I am also trying to keep the exercise room as large as possible.

What am I not thinking of that will need to go in the utility space? If I just need enough space on one side for the furnace and the other side for the well pump, then the back wall for water lines, I don't want to devote too much space to the room. I've done some redesign to eliminate both a full bath and a powder room from the basement (kid's rooms are in walkout basement) and moved the guest bedroom to the walkout wall, and gained the exercise room. Now that I have gained so much from the last minute changes, I hate to not make my son's bathroom and closet space perfect...and also don't want to scrimp on the 2nd W/D or make the exercise room smaller than it needs to be to make the utility room larger than it needs to be! I do realize that my HVAC guy does not want to be cramped when working on the HVAC....but am also trying to be realistic about how much space I actually need as I am trying to maximize every last sq inch in the basement.

Comment