SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

Converting bathtub/shower to walk-in shower & possibly move toilet

Lars
4 years ago

My brother Kevin and I are buying a second home in the Palm Springs area (Cathedral City), and my brother wants to convert the tub in his bathroom to a walk-in shower. Here's how it looks now:

Second photo is from Kevin's phone:

I estimate the size of the tub to be approximately 32" x 57", but I will get confirmed dimensions next week from our agent. The house was built in 1991, and I don't think it has been updated significantly since that time, except for the addition of solar panels to the roof. The tub surround is plastic, and Kevin does not want to keep that.

I am wondering if we will need to move the toilet. If we can leave it where it is, it will cost us a lot less to make the change. The vanity is much bigger than Kevin needs, and I think he wants to take out the huge mirror. If you stand to pee in the toilet, you might have an unpleasant view, and our real estate agent told us that it would be a good idea to change out the mirror, but he seemed to think that we could put in a walk-in shower without moving the toilet. To move the toilet, we would have to take out the vanity, to make more room, but Kevin thinks the vanity is too big anyway.

This will not be our primary residence, and we plan to AirBnB or VRBO, and I believe that most of the homes in this neighborhood are secondary residences. The sellers are Canadian, and so they do not live in this house as their primary residence either. Our agent said that renters prefer walk-in showers, and we will not allow children in the rental agreement, but that is pretty standard for this neighborhood/area.

We want to keep our renovation costs down, and I have no idea how much it would cost to move the toilet. I also do not know how much it would cost to replace the vanity.

When I go back, I will take all the measurements of the house and draft the floor plan, like I did with our house in Los Angeles, where we live now as our primary residence.

I am retired now, and so I can spend whatever time is necessary there for the bathroom renovation. I am also a designer (mostly furniture), and so I do not need recommendations for how to decorate - I just need to know how much space we will need for the conversion to shower. My brother has an ostomy bag and no longer takes baths, which is why he is adamant about getting rid of the tub. Plus we both hate the plastic tub surround.

I would kind of like to gut the bathroom, but that might not be in our budget. For my own bathroom, I also want to replace the bathtub with a walk-in shower, but the space there is much larger, and the bathtub is an odd egg/oval shape - not really practical for taking baths. However, I believe that it is at least 36" deep, although I do not yet know the width. Kevin wants to renovate both bathrooms at the same time, but I could live with mine as it is for now.

For renters, if they require a hot soak, there is a spa in the patio next to the pool.

Comments (16)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES