SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
courtney_davis22

A disaster lawn! Help please!

We have a small back yard. When we first moved here it was covered in many types of weeds. I didn't notice any grass at all. We decided that we wanted to have a Bermuda lawn since it gets hot here in Houston, Texas, and we decided to use seeds since it was more affordable. Last month my husband put out fertilizer, and after a few days and hardly any success (there was still many weeds and no grass anywhere in sight) he decided to use a tiller to soften the soil. He then threw out bermuda grass seed. After about 2 weeks, we noticed the yard had some bermuda grass but it was very patchy and many of the weeds had returned and was growing at a faster rate than the grass itself. About 5 days ago, my husband put out more Scott's fertilizer (we hadn't had a chance to mow the grass yet since it was only about 1 inch in the highest places). Today, I stepped out into the yard and I noticed that there is fertilizer burn on the already patchy bermuda, and the ground is very soft and spongy. My foot sinks when I step down. Not to mention, the yard is no longer leveled (many huge lumps and bumps in the yard). I feel that the ground needs to be leveled again but I'm not sure how we should handle this. Should we rake up everything, level the yard and reseed? Or should we not reseed and hope the bermuda grass grows back? Are there any options for us to fix these problems or is this lawn screwed up for good? I've attached pictures of the yard at its current state. Any advice, or tips are appreciated. Thank you.

Comments (5)