SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
humdogj

New lawn disaster, looking to Overseed

10 years ago

Hello. I live in Northeast Wisconsin and recently had a lawn put in on June 14th. The majority of the soil in front and around the house was topsoil brought in, but the majority of the backyard is crappy clay dirt.

The lawn has come in (sort of) but is now overrun by every weed imaginable, or so it seems. I fertilized with Scotts Turf Builder with 2% iron at 4 weeks and 8 weeks. Where the lawn is topsoil, it is definitely less weedy. But the backyard, yowza's! I believe I have crabgrass, bluegrass, ragweed, and other weeds I can't name. I've attached a picture of what things look like. I just mowed and the majority of my lawn looks like this.

We live right by a wetlands area and our house was new construction. The seed used was called Deluxe 50. It's 20% KBG, 15% Newport KB, 15% Ken Blue KB, 25% Creeping Red Fescue, 25% Ryegrass.

It's been about 2.5 mo. since our lawn was put in and I'm looking to do some overseeding this fall. I know the dirt in the backyard is mostly clay, so I had a load of topsoil brought in. I should of did this before the lawn went in, but it is what it is. Tight budgets you know.

I've read numerous things on the net about overseeding and they all vary. I thought I would post here to see if there is any advice anyone could give about overseeding in a fall Wisconsin climate.

Here's what I was thinking about doing. Mow lawn to around 2". Overseed with same grass seed, or something similar. Spread a thin layer of topsoil down over the seed. Water to germinate and then water to grow. Is there anything I can do about the weeds before I get started? Compost is not an option. I have to use what I have. Will I need a starter fertilizer if my last application of Scotts Turf Builder was on August 17th? I would like to do this project the weekend of September 21.

Should I go get some rabbit pellets and put that down now as an organic way of helping the soil?

Any thoughts on this would be super greatly appreciated.

This post was edited by humdogj on Fri, Aug 30, 13 at 10:08

Comments (10)