SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dianne_shoenfelt

Farmhouse kitchen table, round or rectangular???

Dianne Shoenfelt
4 years ago

I'm 3/4 finished with a kitchen remodel in my 1881 farm house. I'm trying to stay as close to the period as possible and work in some historic elements and antiques. I have decided to put a work/dining table in the center of the kitchen instead of an island. I need the table as extra work space, my counter-top surface is limited.

The dilemma is this:

#1. I can't decide between a round or rectangular table. Originally, I envisioned backless stools and/or benches with a long work table so I can push the stools or benches in all the way under the table top so that I have more space to move and work with no chair backs in my way. However, a rectangular table big enough for my needs is a little TOO big for the space and obstructs traffic flow due to a big brick fireplace hearth that sticks out into the room.

#2. I would love to do a round table, but I don't think that my backless stools idea would work with round, and benches are out of the question. A round table would allow the best traffic flow through the kitchen and functionality. But, what kind of seating could I use at a round farm table that would look appropriate, and not have high backs sticking up/out and obstructing my work space?

#3 is that I really want an antique table, not a new piece so my sizes and options are limited to what I can find. I have several options at my disposal, but all of them present the dilemmas above. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! TIA!

Comments (11)