SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greg_grigutis

Advice on landscaping a "challenging" rear yard corner, Phoenix

Greg G
4 years ago

Hi, I've been in the process of correcting the grading and drainage of a new to me home (Phoenix)

The SW corner of the yard needs to be revised but I can't quite figure it out yet. The grading is poor and a transformer, lemon tree and pool pump/filter are located in this area and can't really be changed.

I'd like to achieve a more contemporary look overall (mid-century modern-type landscaping/desert features).

I was thinking of some sort of slightly raised bed area encircling the lemon tree and going up to the transformer area with steel/Corten edging. Would be able to re-grade that small area to drain towards new drainage system. Fill w/ some sort of accent stone?

I need to maintain ~60" access to get to rear yard in the event the power company needs to access the transformer or have to bring in a mini excavator, Bobcat, etc.

I'd like a small grassy area but not sure it'd be worth it, but also don't want a sea of rock like you see so much here in Phoenix.

View of SW corner, note transformer on raised pad and tree stump. Unsure if tree stump can be further removed due to transformer possibly moving. Have to talk to power company.

View from SW corner looking E. Note the L-shaped enclosure on left will be removed. Pool equipment is inside of the other L-shaped area. The concrete pad at sliding doors will probably remain (re-finish).

Standing up on block wall looking to the N. The drainage has been installed in the narrow area on W side of house.

Another view of SW corner.

Rough sketch of changes

Reason for re-landscaping is a general drainage issue on the W, SW side of house. Installed an underground drain system to move water out of W side of house (an area w/ no grade or place for water to escape) along w/ gutters that feed into underground system. The side of the house w/ drainage issues will be covered w/ a geotextile fabric and 1/2-1" rock.

Any advice appreciated! Greg

Comments (2)