SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ashish_ntx

Need help landscaping front yard

Me Is Me
6 years ago

Hello All,

We finally have time to reclaim our yard that has been lost to weeds & what not over the past few years of neglect. Disclaimer: we are total noobs at this. Currently I'm in the process of setting up the bed's so I can start planting when cooler weather returns. We researched & made a plan, but we have a feeling that it can be better. I'll try to summarize in bullet points & will propose my plan later in the post(you guys can rip me apart, lol). Apologies in advance for a long post, but I think it'll help us in getting the best advice from you guys. We'd appreciate if you can give us your valuable feedback. Pics are at the end of this post.

General description

Our house sits east - west, front of the house faces south. Lot of mature deciduous trees. We are located in North Texas, Zone 7

1. West side of front doors(1st pic) - Very shaded, you can tell in the pics. In summer It gets 3-4 hours of morning sun & about 2 hrs of evening sun.
  2. East side of front doors - Get's sun pretty much the entire day A little shade at end of day
  3. Other side of drive(last pic) - Heavily shaded
  4. Soil is on the alkaline to neutral side per off the shelf test kit - across the entire front yard
  5. Our late summer experiment found the following plants growing nicely in our backyard in full sun - Shasta Daisy, Coneflower, Coreopsis, Russian Sage, Some pink/red salvia, frost proof blue salvia, purple twist lanai verbena, Delphinium, Ice Plant, Lavender, Artemisia, mondo grass, KO roses & Belinda's Dream Rose.
  6. Tall Iris in one of our neglected beds is hardy in that micro climate, comes back year after year with zero effort

Objectives

1. Prefer natives or well adapted cultivars & be water wise

2. After perennials are done for season, we still want some color to persist through the season. If nothing, evergreen shrubs will do

3. Need to only dress up the front of the bay windows. The rest can be evergreen shrubs

4. Keep bay windows looking open, i.e. shrubs should not block most of the window. Limited seasonal blocking with flowers will be fine

5. Prefer shrubs that can be pruned to clean lines - something like boxwood

6. Prefer plants mature height to be on the shorter side. Our house is vertically challenged & taller plants will make it look shorter

7. Low maintenance. Say one season we do not want to plant annuals, the existing perrenials & shrubs should look fine & maybe add some color

8. Watering schedule will be with drip irrigation across the entire front of the house(lines already added). For the other side of drive, a hose will lay across the circular drive till I can muster the energy to tunnel under that drive. Timers on spigot will add to the automation.

9. Nothing with thorns as this side of the house is frequented by visitors.

10. We are new to gardening/landscaping so something that doesn't require monitoring pH levels or anything exotic. Plus, we are looking at this as a start. We can build over this in the coming years.

11. Overall look doesn't have to be symmetrical, as long as it flows naturally

12. Avoid typical desert scape plants like tall grasses & succulents

My Plan - Front entry way

1. Bring the circular section in front of bay windows a little forward towards the drive, making it 5' wide. Currently it's 3 feet at it's widest
  2. In the center of this circular section we line shrubs trimmed to about 3' for evergreen background - Boxwood didn't seem like a good choice cause the roots are close to surface, making seasonal planting destructive to the shrub. Not sure of what other options I have. Junipers are way too common so if possible, want to rule them out.
  3. At the back of shrub will be tall spiking flowers for seasonal interest - delphiniums, larkspur, foxglove or perennials like Salvia
  4. In front will be hardy perennials which I think will die back & come back in spring - Shasta Daisy, Day Lilies or something lower in mature height.
  5. Overall, this area for most of summer thru fall will hide the shrubs. After perennials die back, the shrubs will still give a neat appearance for winter. Maybe, I can intersperse some viola's or pansies for winter color, what do u think?
  6. The narrow strip leading to entry way - I have no clue. First I thought of shrubs, but something tells me no, so maybe some sort of shorter salvia with a low groundcover
  7. For the most part we only open the east side of front doors. So 3 white pots of varying heights with Creeping Jenny or Lanai Verbena for summer on one side of the doors.

Rest of the front - Keep it plain drab boring for now with shrubs. Can't figure out what will go in the shade on the west side. I want to avoid Gardenia's or Azalea's cause I read that they need acidic soil. Maybe hydrangea's for the entire west side of the entry way, but I think they loose all leaves in winter.

Other side of drive - For now I'm thinking ground cover, something fast spreading but can add color. Sweet woodruff is on my list for that area. Other options I had were creeping thyme(slow to spread) & creeping phlox(only spring color).

Btw, in the pics, the eastern half of the house is overgrown with some shrubs. I plan on bringing it down to about 3-4' after checking about it in another post.

Thanks for reading my long a##'d post. Your feedback is much much appreciated.

Starting from west half of house

Front entryway

East half of front

Looking from eastern side

Bed in front of bay windows

Other side of Circular Drive

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting