SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_647860647

need help with landscaping for front yard

V Smith
4 years ago

We have a good-sized flower bed for landscaping in front of our house. (See attached photo of bed and a to scale sketch of it.) I think I would like to use 3 different plants. The ones on my short list are hostas, hydrangeas, reed grass or something similar, and another flowering plant that I haven't been able to identify. Maybe someone can identify it from the attached landscaping photo--the plant looks like the one I have circled but has flowers for a good portion of the summer. The ones I've seen mostly have yellow flowers but I've seen a few with purple. I'm also considering planting a lilac bush in one corner (to the left side of the porch) but am unsure if it would look odd there. We are in zone 3.

I'm not sure how to lay out the bed with different plants so that it looks nice. Can anyone suggest layouts for me? The bottom of the picture window is 4' above the bed. The porch is 30" high on the left side and 4' high in the front at the tallest point.

Ideally the bed would be fairly low-maintenance once it's been planted. Are any of these plants high maintenance ones?

Is there anything else I need to consider before buying plants for this bed?

Comments (6)