SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
john_gitlin

Landscape Design Help / Advice in Northeast Florida (Zone 9A)

John Gitlin
6 years ago

I live in Neptune Beach, FL which is in Zone 9A and am looking for some advice as I start to update the landscaping in my back yard.

We've redone the pool deck in pavers, replaced an aging low pressure-treated lumber deck with a composite lumber deck, installed a fire pit, paver patio and paver walkway from the firepit to the composite deck / dining area.

You can see most of this in the first photo which is taken from the composite deck looking south east.

Backyard Landscaping · More Info

I'm now ready to move on to landscaping. My goal will be to have a cohesive landscape in the back yard that looks awesome, includes some tropical and some native plants, is low maintenance and provides a play area for my 2 young girls.

Priority 1 is the Southwest corner / quadrant (to the right of the above photo):

I have a number of mature water / laurel oak trees and 2 large mature magnolias that create significant shade and drop a lot of leaves. This has made the southwest section of my yard challenging (photos below) and I would love some ideas for what I can do in this space. I have 2 young children and I'd like this to function as a play area but fear it may be too shady for the St. Augustine grass that is common in my area. There is irrigation via a large rotating sprinkler along the south fence line that covers this area. The current status can be seen in the next 3 photos.

Photo 1:

Photo 2:

Photo 3:

Photo 4:

My thought is that step 1 should be clearing this area, bringing in dirt to level it out, creating defined beds along the back (west) and side (south) fence. I can keep the boxwoods along the paver path which will eventually connect and form a low hedge with a break in the center to provide a natural entryway to this area. I'm not sure what to plant for either groundcover or in the beds.

There are some nice palms coming under the fence from my neighbor that take care of some of the south fence line and I've planted some birds of paradise in the corner that do OK. I could keep these or relocate them.

Thoughts or input would be greatly appreciated.

Priority 2 is the area / bed to the east of my composite deck and paver walkway.

It currently looks like this:

I currently have 2 citrus trees and 2 agaves in this area that should most likely be relocated. There is also a very tall, mature and beautiful queen palm near the house in this area that I'd like to keep. My initial thought was to plant some creeping Juniper in here and just let it run, but that feels like a missed opportunity to do something cool.

I will eventually build something to hide the pool pumps and heater, but that will be later.

Thoughts or input here would be appreciated as well.

Priority 3 is my back / western fence line.

There is a massive Pittosporum hedge along this fence line that is about 10 feet deep. In front of this is a thin strip of St. Augustine grass.

The Pittosporum don't add much and take up a ton of yard so I'd like to take those out, level the area with fill dirt and re-sod. I get sun all morning and early afternoon and have irrigation in this area. Eventually, I'd like to do a podocarpus hedge or clumping bamboo along this fence for privacy but for now, I just want the yard back and to have an area for the kids to run / play. I am fine with an exposed fence and will probably hang a big chalkboard on it for the kids to draw.

In the northwest corner, at the end of the Pittosporum hedge, I have a grouping of 3 cabbage palms, a huge philodendron and a cool tree I don't recognize that I plan to keep. I'd mostly just like to clean up this area and maybe add some accent plants.

I'll add a photo of this in a comment.

I am also planning to resod the strip between my pool deck and the jasmine / ivy / Pittosporum planting along my north fence line.

I'll add a photo of this in a comment.

My budget is $2-3K and I think most of that will be eaten up by clearing / levelling / sodding but am 100% guessing as I have never done (or hired out) a project like this.

Any thoughts, ideas, feedback, criticisms or reality checks on my budget would be really helpful. I'd like to start this project in the next couple of weeks so am planning (and looking for labor / vendors) now.

Comments (24)