SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eric_lee98

How to correct for compact/clay soil in container pot - cherry tree

Eric Lee
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hello, I planted seven cherry trees a year ago in large pots. They grew well during the first year. However, in early spring of this second year, two trees have died and another looks sickly (green leaves wilted brown very quickly).

The cause appears to be the compact soil I took directly from the ground. I didn't add any peat moss or coco coir to soften the soil so the soil/clay appears to be suffocating my cherry trees.

Does anyone have any advice on how I can save these trees? I'm considering adding earthworms but another blogger noted that the worms may (will likely) eat the roots (organic material). For the near-dead trees, I've transplanted them into another pot with 50/50 natural soil + coco coir. My concern is with the three that appear to be healthy. One has fruit but some of the fruit appear to be dieing. The only thing I've done is add Bonide 412 root stimulator.

For the healthy cherry trees, how can I best treat for the compact soil? Will the earthworms help? Should I transplant and when is the right time to transplant? Or is there a better option?

Comments (5)