SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
redsun9

Do Commercial Potting Mix Contain Regular Soil?

I always use the yard materials from my own yard. But I want to plant some indoor plants. So I went to Lowes trying to get some store potting mix for my indoor pots.

I compared potting mix from several brands, Miracle-Grow, Scotts and Sta-Green. All very similar. They are not potting soil. I read the the labels and they all say contain forest products and other organic materials....

So I bought a large bag, the largest and I think from Miracle-Gro. This stuff is very heavy. Very hard for one person to lift and drop on the shopping and move into the car.

When I opened the bag, I'm very disappointed. This stuff looks like a mixture of regular soil and compost materials. I can see some small stones inside. This can't be all organic forest materials. Clearly the labels are incorrect and all 3 vendors produced the same wrong labels.....

I intend to use the potting mix to start seeds, or grow some cuttings. I do not think they are any good. Maybe good for outdoor pots, but not for indoor containers. The potting mix is just too heavy.

Just wonder how they can get away with false labeling for this long???

Comments (19)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm