SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
californian_gw

Clay soil and compost as container mix?

californian
15 years ago

My soil is pure clay, and to make it worse I live on a hillside with not a single flat spot. This makes it extremely difficult to deep water my fruit trees and vegetable garden. I was thinking of covering my hillside with maybe a hundred plastic containers, 5 gallons and up, and filling them with a mixture of my clay soil and a compost made from sawdust and horse manure to grow my vegetables in. I know they say one should use perlite and fir bark and pumice and peat moss and vermiculite and sand to fill containers, but on the scale I am talking about that would cost a fortune. My clay soil is free and the compost I can buy for $8 a cubic yard. The container I can buy really cheap, I have a source that will sell me 5 gallon plastic buckets for a dollar apiece, and I may be able to get larger sizes. I was thinking I could either drill holes in the bottom and sides of the containers, or maybe cut the bottoms out completely so if the roots wanted to they could grow down into the soil.

Does this sound like it would work? I have been growing some chives and cactus in just plain clay in containers and they grew. The vegetables will all be annuals, so I am not worrying about soil collapse.

http://www.evergreengardenworks.com/soils.htm

Comments (10)