SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
natebetween_gw

One-stop potting soil for the lazy? (Outdoor container gardening)

natebetween
12 years ago

What easy, ready-to-go, potting soil would you recommend for someone who is just starting out?

Ok...to be fair, it's not that I'm lazy, it's just that I have a crazy work schedule, and work 10-11 hours per day and I haven't convinced myself to start making my own soil (or non-soil potting mixture) yet. This is my first year gardening in containers outdoors, as I have moved to an area with very nice weather (Southern California) and we have two balconies.

I have read COUNTLESS threads (all of them awesome) about mixing soils....Start with 25% Coir, add 25% Perlite and Vermiculite, 40% mulch and 35% compost, a drizzling of worm poop, a dash of nutmeg, eye of newt...and viola...you have an amazing do-it-yoursel mix. Ha ha...(Yes, I know that adds up to more than 100%) I enjoy this info very much, and will eventually graduate to making my own mixes, but right now I feel realy "lazy" and want to know what's best for me to start out with.

Currently I am growing Cherry tomatoes, habaneros, jalapenos, serranos, basil, mini bell peppers, chives, cilantro, some lettuces...

I am currently using Miracle-Grow POTTING soil after starting the seedlings in peet pots. The strong plants eventually get potted up to 3 and 5 gallon "smart pots", cloth pots. Is this blasphemous? I definitely don't recall reading any other soil threads touting the benefits of miracle gro. :-)

Thanks for any advice.

Comments (24)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting